WTB: Teach me how to double clutch a truck!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    CDL Class B holder is looking to learn how to double clutch on either a straight truck or tractor. Willing to pay $100 for the lesson. Must provide a straight truck or tractor for me to practice on. Located in Greenwood, IN. Willing to travel a small distance.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Let's see...

First, it is difficult to get something like this done. In days gone by it was much easier without the worries in today's climate. As it is, I doubt anyone would consider doing this without jumping through the hoops with their insurance carrier. There is simply too much risk otherwise if things go sideways.

You apparently tested in a straight truck with an automatic transmission. Are you getting rid of the automatic transmission restriction or trading up to Class A?

Is this a 'just because' or are you prepping to hunt a bigger and better job?

Are you learning from scratch or just needing to polish your method a bit?

Knowing where you are and where you are trying to go would be helpful for the purpose of giving useful advice.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Automatics suck.
    Why double clutch. Just float the gears. I never touch the clutch in a semi except to stop and start.

Same here, but since it is an issue to him, I am guessing that he needs to learn for a specific reason and retesting is the only one I can think of.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Been driving the big trucks off and on since I was 14. 52 years. Swinging beef from St Cloud, MN to Detroit. CO4000, 238, 5 speed trannie with 3 speed rear. Springs tractor and trailer. Floating seat thank God. Back when Schneider Freight was all Teamster company drivers. Before Schneider International. My brother rescued me from a very dark place after the Army let me go and we hauled cattle all over in a cabover Freightliner with big Cat and a 13 speed in 1974. Worked as a truck driving instructor in Garrett, IN for a couple of years in the early 90's. I owned a small fleet for 18 years. 15 trucks, 25 drivers. Plus me. Great business, made lots of money. Downside? Gotta deal with truckdrivers....:):

Your statement that you are not willing to travel much requires me to give you written instruction. I am not going to travel to you buddy.

Lots of companies require double clutching in the driving test of the pre-hire. But you can fake it by pushing in the clutch pedal at the right time while floating the gears.

You have to watch the tach. It is usually a 500 RPM change between gears. But whatever the split is, when upshifting, push in the clutch. tranny to neutral. Move toward the next gear and push in the clutch as the gear slides in as the RPMs match. Be sure the evaluator sees the left foot moving up and down twice.

It would take like 5 minutes to show you how to fake a double clutch. Which is actually a real double clutch but so many new guys freak out about it. Because of the big two word name? All you are doing is getting the gears and everything spinning at the same speed to smoothly make the shift. Clutch or no clutch.

You could always hang out at the local truck stop and drive some foreigners truck around the lot or down the road for a ways. Little risk for the modern company driver. If anything goes wrong they will just walk away. Yeah, that is my cynical view.

I will tag along here for my own WTB....

Any of you guys know of any old crackerbox GMC with a 238 and 10 speed or maybe an old Emeryville with a 250 Cummins and maybe a 5x3? I keep seeing an old Hendrickson farm truck up by Wanatah but can't find out which farmer has kept it going all these years.I think it would be cool to have a old truck around to play with....With like a 38 foot flatbed....Something like I grew up around, working on and driving in the sixties...

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    ........jump in a ol' 3 stick Mack for some shiftin' fun!!!!......shift in a turn was always fun with your left arm stuck through the wheel!!!:):

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I learned on a Mack "B" Model, 711 & a Triplex Transmission. If you missed a shift with this, you had to start all over again. There's plenty of Trucking Companies that will Train you. The company my son works for has drivers inbound daily that can't speak English, your way ahead of them!

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Pulling 98,000 pounds with this Eaton 10 speed.

It does ok. A few problems here and there but when I'm scheduled on that truck, I don't have a choice.

Eaton makes a great transmission, but it's automated - not automatic. Think taking a manual transmission and bolting a controller on it to shift it for you. Same lag in power between shifts (not smooth), but arguably much less work and driver fatigue than a straight manual transmission.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Eaton makes a great transmission, but it's automated - not automatic. Think taking a manual transmission and bolting a controller on it to shift it for you. Same lag in power between shifts (not smooth), but arguably much less work and driver fatigue than a straight manual transmission.

Yep. You can rip the elecronics off of it, pit a clutch pedal and a shifter in it, change the computer and have a true manual again. I've been on the Eaton test track in Michigan. That was fun.

Top Bottom