Teacher put on leave and a forced emergency evaluation because he wrote a book..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Wow. I don't even know where to start.

I thought this was America. This is despicable. What legal basis do authorities or the school board have to do any of this?

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Well I'm sure this won't end up in the court system and cost the school district a bunch of money. Totally worthwhile decision.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Pretty sad when fiction is presumed as fact. Those accusing him are the ones that need evaluated.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Absolutely incredible. Detaining someone for writing a tragic fiction story? There may be more to this story that's not being said, but still, this is a gross violation of rights. Just goes to show how f***ing unreasonably sensitive and daft our school admins have become.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess, after Sandy Hook, when the cry went out that we need to be more proactive about mental health, we needed to have a "national discussion", etc.....this is what that looks like. We know if this guy had done something to students or a school and it was known he had written these books, the public would have demanded heads roll.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Absolutely incredible. Detaining someone for writing a tragic fiction story? There may be more to this story that's not being said, but still, this is a gross violation of rights. Just goes to show how f***ing unreasonably sensitive and daft our school admins have become.

Not only was he detained but it sounds like the detainment may be indefinite. As it gets exposed I imagine they might ease up a bit though. And <gasp/> he used an alias to write a book!

I just can't imagine the mindset of the police and especially the press. It's astonishing.

I guess, after Sandy Hook, when the cry went out that we need to be more proactive about mental health, we needed to have a "national discussion", etc.....this is what that looks like. We know if this guy had done something to students or a school and it was known he had written these books, the public would have demanded heads roll.

I'm about tired of "national conversations". When I hear those words, I know the conversation is about which freedoms are just too dangerous for citizens to have. In stead of all that, if we have to have these silly "national conversations", how about we just have one about parents teaching their kids to cherish life--their own and others?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm about tired of "national conversations". When I hear those words, I know the conversation is about which freedoms are just too dangerous for citizens to have. In stead of all that, if we have to have these silly "national conversations", how about we just have one about parents teaching their kids to cherish life--their own and others?

How about common sense, national conversations? :):

But easy there...we're not supposed to be imposing our morality on others.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe common sense really isn't so common after all.

What it used to mean is the ability to evaluate circumstances and judge a likely conclusion the same way that most people would. Common sense isn't common because of opinion or popularity. It's only common because most people should be able to figure out the right answer. Common sense has a right answer apart from the popularity of the answer. If you touch a hot pan with bare hands, it doesn't matter that most people can arrive at the correct conclusion. Either way you're still gonna get burned.

That's a lot different from the thought police using a horrible event to popularize accepting illogical and unreasonable encroachments on personal liberty, and then calling it common sense. They're purposely conflating popular sense and common sense. It's not common sense to force someone into a psychological evaluation and indefinitely detain him just because he wrote a novel that is about a topic people find scary. But whatever kind of sense they're using to justify it, it is getting more popular.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    What it used to mean is the ability to evaluate circumstances and judge a likely conclusion the same way that most people would. Common sense isn't common because of opinion or popularity. It's only common because most people should be able to figure out the right answer. Common sense has a right answer apart from the popularity of the answer. If you touch a hot pan with bare hands, it doesn't matter that most people can arrive at the correct conclusion. Either way you're still gonna get burned.

That's a lot different from the thought police using a horrible event to popularize accepting illogical and unreasonable encroachments on personal liberty, and then calling it common sense. They're purposely conflating popular sense and common sense. It's not common sense to force someone into a psychological evaluation and indefinitely detain him just because he wrote a novel that is about a topic people find scary. But whatever kind of sense they're using to justify it, it is getting more popular.

Nailed it. I'm afraid that there will be a day where showing someone shoot a big 'n scary gun in a movie is grounds for detainment and evaluation. All because the creator could be a raging psychopath waiting to snap. The author in this topic could be crazy or normal. It's all done on the pretense of that. Any question (and I mean any) of mental health would be grounds for the suspension of rights. It's getting more and more ridiculous by the day.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    This whole situation sounds ridiculous. Unless and until some quantifiable crime has been committed, and the guy charged with something, processed through the court system as is his right... It seems that Maryland now has a state full of subjects with absolutely zero rights and zero recourse.

Oh, wait! This isn't even the first time for this garbage in Maryland--it's just a well-orchestrated reboot of the past.

Witchcraft a part of Maryland's past - Washington Times

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nailed it. I'm afraid that there will be a day where showing someone shoot a big 'n scary gun in a movie is grounds for detainment and evaluation. All because the creator could be a raging psychopath waiting to snap. The author in this topic could be crazy or normal. It's all done on the pretense of that. Any question (and I mean any) of mental health would be grounds for the suspension of rights. It's getting more and more ridiculous by the day.
    Have any of these school administrators ever read a book by Stephen King (who also used a nom de plume btw - Richard Bachman). I know he's not a teacher, but if they see a work of fiction as a viable threat, then I'm thinking a Stephen King novel would have them cowering in the fetal position and wetting themselves.

This whole thing makes me angry. If I were that teacher I might... oh, I don't know... chew a poptart into the shape of a gun, or perhaps point my finger at someone... something really crazy like that. :rolleyes:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This whole thing makes me angry. If I were that teacher I might... oh, I don't know... chew a poptart into the shape of a gun, or perhaps point my finger at someone... something really crazy like that. :rolleyes:
    Need two poptarts. One to chew into the shape of a gun and one to chew into the shape of an extended middle finger. Or you could use real fingers. Either way.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Story updated read page 2. Says he was taken in, not entirely because of the books, but because of "health concerns" brought about by a four page letter he sent "to a school administrator over the summer. According to Maciarello, the letter contained no threats against schools or school personnel, but that it indicated that McLaw was not mentally sound. "Health care professionals were concerned, he was in a relationship that had just come to an end, he was talking about his mother as being overbearing, there was some thought that he could be a threat to himself."

So, the authorities have changed their story as to why he was fired. Sounds like he was having a hard time and needed to vent to me. I wonder what his relation was to the school administrator? It would be a strange letter to send to somebody who was purely a co-worker, but if they were friends it makes perfect sense.

I smell a huge lawsuit as well.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Story updated read page 2. Says he was taken in, not entirely because of the books, but because of "health concerns" brought about by a four page letter he sent "to a school administrator over the summer. According to Maciarello, the letter contained no threats against schools or school personnel, but that it indicated that McLaw was not mentally sound. "Health care professionals were concerned, he was in a relationship that had just come to an end, he was talking about his mother as being overbearing, there was some thought that he could be a threat to himself."

So, the authorities have changed their story as to why he was fired. Sounds like he was having a hard time and needed to vent to me. I wonder what his relation was to the school administrator? It would be a strange letter to send to somebody who was purely a co-worker, but if they were friends it makes perfect sense.

I smell a huge lawsuit as well.

I'm guessing perhaps son of the administrator?

Top Bottom