• ...and so much more!
  • Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Hi Everyone!

I have become more and more interested in becoming a formal teacher/trainer of proper firearm safety and useage. I personally feel there is a large market for under-trained or "skiddish" people that would welcome training if they knew how to get it.

I have informally trained a few family members, friends, and co-workers, but I am not formally licensed. I've just gone through a few youth safety courses.
    Can anyone help point me in the right direction for what I would need to start down this road? Who can I talk to about getting properly "licensed" to teach in a public setting?
    I am looking to help spread the knowledge in the Northern Indiana area, specifically around South Bend.

Any pointers from other trainers out there? How did you start?

Thank you for any advice you can give. Both firearms and training have been passions of mine.. and it makes perfect sense to me to combine them and help strengthen our community.
    :ingo::patriot:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    look on the nra site, i know they certify people.

btw i think its a tough road to hoe making a living training folks without some background that the nra can not give you (police, military, competition, etc)

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    If you want to be an NRA trainer you must contact an NRA Training Counselor. You will undergo a pre-course assessment that evaluates your knowledge, skill and attitude. This assessment consists of an pre-course questionnaire and the NRA Basic Pistol test if you have never taken it. You must score 90% or better. The TC should contact you at least by phone to have a conversation about your questionnaire. You will then have a shooting test. You must hit a 6" circle with 16 out of 20 rounds from 45 feet, standing, unsupported. If all of this is a go you can take the Instructor course. The Instructor course is actually 2 courses in one. The first part is Basic Instructor Training and the second would be the pistol or rifle discipline specific course. Check the NRA web site for a training counselor in your area, or if you want to come down here to Fishers we offer Instructor courses a couple times a year.

If you are going to teach it, I recommend you TAKE it! Find an NRA Basic Pistol or Rifle course and take it to see what you will be teaching. This is REALLY helpful. You'll be surprised at how much you don't know!

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    look on the nra site, i know they certify people.

btw i think its a tough road to hoe making a living training folks without some background that the nra can not give you (police, military, competition, etc)
    It is a tough road to hoe regardless!!! do it because you love your hobby, you love teaching, and you love sharing your hobby! You will not get rich teaching gun classes.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Thank you 'IndyGunSafety' for the information! That is the perfect place to start reading up and getting familar with the process. I appreciate this!

And yes, I agree with 'Westside'.. I'm not looking for this to be my source of living, but a love of teaching and firearms coming together on the side.

I will start researching, but welcome any further comments or information!!

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Thank you 'IndyGunSafety' for the information! That is the perfect place to start reading up and getting familar with the process. I appreciate this!

And yes, I agree with 'Westside'.. I'm not looking for this to be my source of living, but a love of teaching and firearms coming together on the side.

I will start researching, but welcome any further comments or information!!
    I will admit it is really exciting to see people have the one moment when it all comes together and works. Then they get the big cheesy grin and you know they are hooked.

Top Bottom