• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Ifacfp,

I don't know the right temperature but as I understand it the goal should be to have firearms kept at a stable temperature so that humidity cannot settle on the metal.

I remember reading a magazine that advised hunters who hunted in the wintertime to consider leaving their firearms outside in the cold so that moisture wouldn't condense on/in the barrels when they brought them inside, unless they were able to immediately deal with the condensation.

I believe humidity is the damaging factor, but am not knowledgeable on the technicality.

I am certain someone with more knowledge than I will answer better.

Regards,

Doug

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Guns aren't wine. Temp is really not a factor.

Humidity, on the other hand, is. And changes in temp cause condensation on metal, which can lead to corrosion. So the best conditions are dry with little variation in temp. This is why many safes have accommodations to allow an electrical cord to get in for a "golden rod" dehumidifier.

A few years ago our A/C unit went out during the hottest/most humid part of the summer. It was only out for 3 days but once it was back on it was amazing how fast I noticed the first signs of corrosion on a few guns; spent the next few nights going through them and cleaning/re-oiling everything.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    350°F for 40 minu— oh, wait a minute. That's for chicken fingers.

As long as the temp/humidity/pressure point never reaches the condensation point, metal things are golden. There are deserts where machines have stopped working and just came to rest, abandonned by the hand of man what wrought them, and decades later revisitted thereby and the machines were found in largely the same condition, corrosion-wise.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Temp does not matter much. The relative humidity does. Buy a cheap humidity gauge (Lowe's - Home Depot) and closely monitor the room your guns are in. If the humidity goes above 35 - 40% you're into the danger zone.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    As the others have said, humidity is the issue more than temperature. I've had no issues with around 50% and some dessicant pouches.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'd stick with a range of 200K - 350K. Outside of that you could be affecting the steel, cracking the wood or melting the plastic.

Like others have said, condensation is the enemy, not temperature.

Hey, I remember a post here on INGO last year of someone's carry gun with a good amount of frost on the slide after shoveling!

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    Here is an excellent link with lots of info not only for guns but other stuff you may collect:

The National WWII Museum | New Orleans: Give: Preservation of Artifacts

Museums recommend 70 degress F and 50% humidity. I keep my guns stored year round between 65-73 degrees and 40-60% humidity. I open my safes probably 1-2 x per week. I just cleaned all my firearms after 25 months of storage and found them all to be clean and rust free. Before storing, I wipe down each gun with RIG/Hopps oil mix, swab the bore with oil and place the gun back in the safe. I always handle guns with lint free cloth gloves and clean guns wearing gloves. In almost 30-years of storage I've never had a problem. Temp variation or high humidity is the killer. Keep 'em at a stable temp, keep 'em cleanclean and storage will not cause a problem.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    (snip)...I keep my guns stored year round between 65-73 degrees and 40-60% humidity. I open my safes probably 1-2 x per week. I just cleaned all my firearms after 25 months of storage and found them all to be clean and rust free. Before storing, I wipe down each gun with RIG/Hopps oil mix, swab the bore with oil and place the gun back in the safe. I always handle guns with lint free cloth gloves and clean guns wearing gloves. In almost 30-years of storage I've never had a problem. Temp variation or high humidity is the killer. Keep 'em at a stable temp, keep 'em cleanclean and storage will not cause a problem.

that's gold right there.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    To Ifacfp,

I don't know the right temperature but as I understand it the goal should be to have firearms kept at a stable temperature so that humidity cannot settle on the metal.

I remember reading a magazine that advised hunters who hunted in the wintertime to consider leaving their firearms outside in the cold so that moisture wouldn't condense on/in the barrels when they brought them inside, unless they were able to immediately deal with the condensation.

I believe humidity is the damaging factor, but am not knowledgeable on the technicality.

I am certain someone with more knowledge than I will answer better.

Regards,

Doug

When I used to hunt with a muzzle loader, I always kept it in the cold garage once it was loaded(obviously I removed the primer). I was always told to store it this way to minimize moisture in the powder.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom