• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Isn't this kinda like the Luby's case in Texas from way back when I was in grade elementary school?

If you're referring to Killeen, Texas, I'm not sure how you make the two connect. In that case, Texas law at the time forbade carry of handguns by anyone who didn't have a badge. Result: lots of people were killed when a madman drove his truck through the front of the restaurant and got out and started walking around the room, shooting helpless patrons in the head. Dr. Susanna Gratia Hupp was in the restaurant with her parents, both of whom died, in part because she had decided to allow the law to disarm her, and left her gun in her vehicle.
    Contrast this with a situation where the law says you can carry, and a business is allowed to forbid you to do so on their property, but is liable for any injury you suffer as a result of that policy.

From my perspective, yes, the business should have that right, though governmental entities should not have that power. If the business is preventing you from protecting yourself, they bear the liability for injuries resulting from that decision, just as they would if they failed to put out a "wet floor" sign and you fell because you didn't know someone had spilled something, or they'd just mopped. Another analogy would be if they did not require hearing protection in an area with known loud noises, or eye protection if that is needed. If they have a reasonable means of knowing of a hazard and don't do anything to mitigate it, that's on them.
    What hazard? The one that exists with this sign
    NoGunSign.png
    but not this one
    GunWelcomeSign.png

Blessings,
    Bill

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I don't like this, because it only gives people the opportunity to sue the places without the "No Guns" signs, if something happens.

I fail to see why this occurrence is problematic. Posted "GFZs" attract those with ill intent. See: Waffle House, the movie theater in Aurora, elementary schools, etc. The creation of the impression of a disarmed-victim zone facilitates the creation of victims in said areas.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Property owners should have the right to dictate the terms of using their property, but that right is being further eroded with this new law.

Does this include, say, a property owner dictating that persons of a certain color, religion, etc. may not access their property?

If so, that's fine. It would be consistent, at least.

Personally, I'd prefer to see "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone", and let the market decide how to respond. Unfortunately, we live in a regulated environment where "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" has been superseded by government decree. Since I believe in the right of equal protection under law, I cannot support arbitrary refusal of access to property to some people, while the state protects the access of other arbitrary persons.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to printcraft again.

Not only that, but believers in limited government would agree for obvious reasons.

I would think that believers in limited government would moreso favor the removal of legal imprimatur of posted "no guns" signs.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Does this include, say, a property owner dictating that persons of a certain color, religion, etc. may not access their property?

If so, that's fine. It would be consistent, at least.

Personally, I'd prefer to see "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone", and let the market decide how to respond. Unfortunately, we live in a regulated environment where "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" has been superseded by government decree. Since I believe in the right of equal protection under law, I cannot support arbitrary refusal of access to property to some people, while the state protects the access of other arbitrary persons.

Yes.

Laws should prohibit violations of rights, not mandate entitlement to property access.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    "Certain rights"?

Yes. Whatever rights you are willing to waive to abide by whatever terms they chose to impose as a condition of using their property.

It would be a consensual agreement. If no agreement, everyone parts ways with all their rights intact, and no State intrusion needed to force either party to comply against their will.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Disallowing someone's civil rights should not be allowed.

Asking someone to leave or barring their entrance because of their attitude, attire, behavior &ct. should be allowed. If I act out in any way that is not acceptable to the property owner, I am abusing his rights and am trespassing if I do not leave at their request.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Disallowing someone's civil rights should not be allowed.

Asking someone to leave or barring their entrance because of their attitude, attire, behavior &ct. should be allowed. If I act out in any way that is not acceptable to the property owner, I am abusing his rights and am trespassing if I do not leave at their request.

In an ideal world, I support property owners' rights to allow or trespass any person for any reason, and business owners' right of association (or non-association) when engaging in business. Thus, in an ideal world, I support "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". Society, through market forces, has the right and the power to determine whether that attitude is appropriate and tolerable.

But, we don't live in that ideal world. Government got involved.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That sounds very libertarian, but I follow a different thesis that counts all men my equal until they prove themselves otherwise.

Some animals, more equal than others?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    That sounds very libertarian, but I follow a different thesis that counts all men my equal until they prove themselves otherwise.

That, unfortunately, is exactly the environment that our government has created. Some animals truly are more equal than others, in explicit violation of the equal protection clause.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

You'd be free to follow that in a libertarian world, and I'd support you for doing so... voluntarily. You couldn't mandate that upon others.

Top Bottom