• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    OK guys - I came down with tennis elbow back in september from using a pickaxe in this stinking Indiana clay. Anyway, it comes and goes and today it flared up when I was shooting my 9mm:(

Anyway, anyone here deal with this kind of tendonitis? Any recommendations other than wearing a strap on my forearm?

treanor21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Lafayette
    OK guys - I came down with tennis elbow back in september from using a pickaxe in this stinking Indiana clay. Anyway, it comes and goes and today it flared up when I was shooting my 9mm:(

Anyway, anyone here deal with this kind of tendonitis? Any recommendations other than wearing a strap on my forearm?

You might see about getting a Cortisone shot every know and then. I would talk to your doctor.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    I can answer your question without being a total smart ass like others. I too, have had tennis elbow and it can be very hard to get rid of as well as very frustrating. If you've been experiencing symptoms since September I would recommend seeing an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in the arm and hand. He will most likely offer you physical therapy or a steroid injection. Possibly just strengthening exercises. If I were you I would opt for the steroid injection and begin a tendon strengthening exercise program. Most people will respond well to the steroid injection. With that being said, for a day or two after the injection you might have some pain and discomfort that will go away. I waited a long time before going to the doctor and in retrospect I wish I had went sooner. My case popped up the day after using a machette that repeatedly hit the earth after clearing some weeds. PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck!

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Also, a brace will help keep you from reinjuring during the healing process. The brace essentially helps you the once or twice a day that you might perform a movement that will reinjure your compromised tendon. The problem with it is you wear it until you start to feel better then stop using it only to do something so thereafter that reinjures the tendon. If you can get straight into an ortho surgeon that specializes in arm and hand you can just cut to the chase. That's just my honest opinion coming from someone that has been there and done that.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Went through this from doing linework, very painful. Tried stretches, ibuprofen, braces, then the steroid shots.Nothing worked. Finally had the surgery...should ve done that first. Been painfree for five years now.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    This is an injury to the flexor tendon....See an orthopod, and a good one will tell you to rest the arm and use a forearm tennis support. I went from 9mm to 40 cal (flexor pain) and back to 9mm. Course I'm an old Fart and I'm not supposed to use those kiddie calibers.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    THanks guys. Guess I'm off to physical therapy of some sort. Will try that first and hope for the best -I really do not want surgery but will if I have to.

I was bummed when it started flaring after only shooting a 9mm:(

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    If you had ever suffered with the pain from this injury you wouldn't be so cocky. Don't let the term tennis elbow fool you, it feels like a Bowie knife stuck in your forearm.

it was a simple joke. sorry your lack of humor didn't catch it.
    and you don't have to describe pains to me, i've had my fair share. thanks!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    talk to your dr about a medrol dosepack its a steroid pill, i suffered with tennis elbow for years, once i started taking the pills the pain was gone in no time!, the next year i did another pack after a "restrain" at a martial arts class, and a third pack a year and a half ago, and no trouble since!

need4speed255

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    I dealt with this a year or two ago. I had a sharp pain when moving my arm in a certain position. It was so bad that I was sure I had a torn tendon or something. I went to the doctor and he gave me the arm brace and maybe a steroid shot(I can't remember). It took a long time to go away. The pain would come and go. I would recommend to try and not use that arm as much as you can. I am sure that is what you have been told. I think in my case it took as long as a year to finally heal but I am always working with my hands.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom