• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    "The agency decided to halt the use of the new handguns after a couple of the weapons experienced slight movement of less than 10 microns after repeated firing of about 3,000 rounds, Vinger said."

So enlighten me, what moved?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    "The agency decided to halt the use of the new handguns after a couple of the weapons experienced slight movement of less than 10 microns after repeated firing of about 3,000 rounds, Vinger said."

The weapons, duh.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    #1- While firing a weapon, it shouldn't move. Check.

Wow - I need to return ALL my guns now that I know what to watch for....:(

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I echo what looney asked...what exactly moved? I'm assuming slide movement from side-to-side but seriously??? 10 microns? Isn't that smaller that the width of a human hair or something? Obvious HK fanboys in that mix of trooper recruits somewhere!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I echo what looney asked...what exactly moved? I'm assuming slide movement from side-to-side but seriously??? 10 microns? Isn't that smaller that the width of a human hair or something? Obvious HK fanboys in that mix of trooper recruits somewhere!
    Ditto,I'm still unclear what the exact concern is...

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co

"it" moved........ happens every time I shoot my M&P

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    A lot of scuttlebutt on the Texas boards about this too, and basically it appears no one outside the DPS recruit academy actually knows what the actual problems are. Various people have emails from buddies in the DPS etc etc, and the newspaper articles (likely written by people who have no clue about guns in general) are not terribly specific either.

The "movement" problem appears to refer to movement of the sights after firing, but 10 microns is pretty small. I suspect someone got their units of measurement screwed up. Or maybe they have some really sharp-eyed recruits.

There were also apparently some kind of malfunctions or stoppages early in the handgun training segment, and rather than spend training trying to sort whether it was gun, ammo, student, or instructor, they just immediately switched back to the Sigs and marched on with training.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Sounds like the "bean counters" discovered how much it was going to cost to replace holsters, mag holders, and other items.
    Decided it was more cost effective to keep what they had.

Top Bottom