• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    From later in the article: "There were also bullet 'feeding and ejection' issues."

it is funny how those 2 terms or problems were buried in the article somewhere...but I'd like to know more. I've got nearly 3k through my M&P9, 1100 rounds of them in 2 days without cleaning, without any function issues.... Inquiring minds want to know more!

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I sent mine back for lack of reset/sear flutter and when they fixed it, they replaced my barrel.

Groups got significantly tighter after that.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    What exactly are you "finding out"? :dunno:

Reading from the S&W Forum the Shield .40 is reporting issues. Feeding issues, ejector, mag falling out, mag release loose causing the mags to fall out. I've been told to go with a 9mm but I really like .40. I'm still giving it a try.

XDS45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2014
    Indiana
    Reading from the S&W Forum the Shield .40 is reporting issues. Feeding issues, ejector, mag falling out, mag release loose causing the mags to fall out. I've been told to go with a 9mm but I really like .40. I'm still giving it a try.
    I had the Shield 9mm and .40 and both had problems. I sold them and got a Ruger SR45. I'd avoid the M&Ps and get a Ruger SR9C or SR40

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Nothing in that article makes sense.

I've got no particular love for M&Ps other than they look incredibly cool. But this article doesn't jive. It's possible that there was a quality spill by M&P and that the DPS got a bad batch of parts, but I highly doubt that a "defect" of a measly 10 microns is highly unlikely to cause a function problem.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I don't think it was the Austrians... I think it was the Germans since SIG initially lost the contract to S&W! Wait until Hitler finds out!

Well, since Hitler was Austrian and Sig is a Swiss Company(teamed w/Sauer&Sohn-German Company to distribute firearms) I don't know what you are really going for. But hey, who is keeping track? ;)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Nothing in that article makes sense.

I've got no particular love for M&Ps other than they look incredibly cool. But this article doesn't jive. It's possible that there was a quality spill by M&P and that the DPS got a bad batch of parts, but I highly doubt that a "defect" of a measly 10 microns is highly unlikely to cause a function problem.
    I would imagine that most police agencies don't have the equipment to repeatedly measure a difference of 10 microns?? The whole thing sounds very vague and I would imagine that ammo would figure into any feeding issues. Sounds like some bean counter that has never fired a handgun making a big deal out of nothing to justify his job.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT] NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [h=3]Certified Glock armorer—GSSF Member[/h] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911, M&P & Ruger MK III Mechanic[/FONT]

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    It's unfortunate. M&Ps are great guns! I don't know what they're seeing, but MY M&P certainly does NOT move 10 microns. I know that for a FACT! :rockwoot:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Well, since Hitler was Austrian and Sig is a Swiss Company(teamed w/Sauer&Sohn-German Company to distribute firearms) I don't know what you are really going for. But hey, who is keeping track? ;)

I knew I'd finally get a SIG or HK shooter to get in here and chime in on something! :D

I'm sure I'll be flamed for saying this, but I'm going to say 'user error' has to factor in. The police officers of 30 years ago are gone and have been replaced by many people who aren't very knowledgeable about firearms. I've personally seen several officers that had to be taught how to load a magazine or that had yet to take a basic pistol course. When the word 'recruit' appeared in the article I think that did it for me. I've bought many 'used' police guns and there is more lint and holster wear than actual use on their weapons.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I would imagine that most police agencies don't have the equipment to repeatedly measure a difference of 10 microns?? The whole thing sounds very vague and I would imagine that ammo would figure into any feeding issues. Sounds like some bean counter that has never fired a handgun making a big deal out of nothing to justify his job.

NRA Life Member-- NRA Basic pistol instructor
    Certified Glock armorer—GSSF Member

1911, M&P & Ruger MK III Mechanic

That part is pretty funny. A micron is like a trillion dollars, most people have no comprehension of what it looks like. For the PD to measure that small of an amount they must have an aerospace lab helping them out.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    After reading up on things, Texas had no issues with Sigs in .357 Sigs outside of small parts breakage (fixable) and training cost (.357 Sig ain't cheap even when bought in bulk). No performance issues, nothing. I guess they wanted to save some bucks going to 9mm, but are crying about low bid, inexpensive pistols (considering they are coming from Sigs...)?

Top Bottom