• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Last evening, my Lady and I went to Gndr Mtn to check out camping items and to look for another badminton set(if it has been a while since you have played, I strongly suggest it. You have like a day and a half to get to a hit birdie and return. I brought a set to the last family gathering and it was a hit...)

While we were in there, I had to go back and check out the firearms. A gal was pacing in front of the display. After 5 min, the salesperson waited on her. She inquired about the process of purchasing a revolver and if she needed a "permit" to purchase. She prefaced these questions by stating that she does not have a clue about the process.

In a loud, booming voice he said " depends, are you asking if you need a "permit" to buy a gun or a "permit" to carry or a personal protection "permit"? And before she answers, he states that you do not need a "permit" to buy and to carry she would have to go to her local municipality.

She asked if it was possible to put a revolver in layaway. He told her, still booming, that 20 percent puts a firearm on layaway. She stands there for an ackward moment and thanked him and walked away.

I approached her when she was 20' away from the counter heading for the door. I told her that, while at some point she will have to contact local, to get online and go to ingov and start the application process there. That she will be able to schedule the fingerprinting through L1. That once the LLE gives the nod, should take 2wks +/- if all is as it should be. She told me that she moved here(TH) from a small town and felt unsafe in the bigger city. That she is a single mother and works nights. I reitterated ingov and told her that if she does decide to get a firearm, to get some training as well. I also told her before she buys that pink Taurus revolver there, to check out Topguns.

About half way through the conversation, my Lady had walked up and confirmed some of the details of her experience in getting her LTCH. The gal thanked us and went on her way.

I thought the salesperson was nowhere close to being as helpful as he could have been and as a human being and a gunowner, I felt ashamed. It was not a case of being terribly busy so he blew her off(which would have been a poor excuse); we were the only 2 at the display and there were 2 salespeople. I did not return to the counter, but then I knew better before I walked back there...

glocksock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    Carroll County
    This seems to be a trend at gander mountain. Rude and **** poor service. Not to mention outrageous prices on firearms. I would have done the same thing in that situation.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Going to Gander Mtn and complaining about poor service is like going to Baskin Robbins and complaining that they tried to sell you ice cream.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I thought the salesperson was nowhere close to being as helpful as he could have been

he blew her off

A.) Some gun-counter-guys are not "gun guys"
    B.) Some people in retail do not belong there, interacting with the public
    C.) Some men don't think women are important enough to deal with
    D.) People can be jerks

Any combination of any (or all) of the above might be what you were encountering.

I've been in the Gander in this area (Fort Wayne) and gotten decent service at the gun counter once (the most recent visit---thanks Jack!!).
    Conversely, same Gander has been worse than you described every time prior at that same department (about four or five times--two Daves, a Mark, a Tom and a Harold?Harry maybe?).
    It's more of a "people" thing than a specific retailer name thing.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Gander mountain isnt the best place to go and expect any sort of expert advice, unfortunately it does seem to be more approachable to the first time gun buyer. Gun stores tend to be a little intimidating to people who do not know anything about guns, or the gun buying process. For a woman, on her own and without anyone to help her through the process, I would imagine it is even more intimidating, considering gun stores tend to be a local "mens club" of sorts.
    Getting the word out, and informing those who might be interested, but uninformed is the only way we can change things, and I think the OP did a commendable job at steering the customer in the right direction.
    My wife gets very excited and passionate when another lady shows interest in her and her familys safety. She has even persuaded a few women to consider owning and carrying a handgun when they started out on the opposite end of the subject.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    It's that way at any niche sport or activity store in almost any place, and its a shame.

Once people become an "expert" in a certain field they think noobs are beneath them and talk down to them. They can't make the transition to speaking to customers at a beginner level without being condescending.

The sales people that do it correctly will get my business whether I need their expertise or not.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I been in Gander Mountain a few times to window shop. Out of the 4-5 times I was in there, was only actually helped a few times. The one time I actually needed help, it took a few minutes for the person behind the counter to tell me where the rounds I needed were.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This seems to be a trend at gander mountain. Rude and **** poor service. Not to mention outrageous prices on firearms. I would have done the same thing in that situation.

This isn't just a trend at Gender Mountain, but in much of retail. Circuit City decided to get rid of seasoned staff and keep the younger, less knowledgeable staff (to save money), and they lost a ton of market share, business, and eventually went bankrupt over it. Best Buy now seems to be following their example.

Companies would be WISE to hire folks with a GREAT DEAL of knowledge for such positions. In this day of online shopping, customer service can be the difference between getting the business, or losing it.

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Going to Gander Mtn and complaining about poor service is like going to Baskin Robbins and complaining that they tried to sell you ice cream.

But just think how much GOOD it would do the company AND the community if they hired someone that actually KNEW about guns, about the LTCH process, etc.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    But just think how much GOOD it would do the company AND the community if they hired someone that actually KNEW about guns, about the LTCH process, etc.

Oh, I agree, but it's not going to happen in that kind of store. It would be great if swimming pools had real live nymphomaniac mermaids and frogs had little shock absorbers instead of legs so they wouldn't always be bumping their butts on the ground, too, but falls into about the same level of probability.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Oh, I agree, but it's not going to happen in that kind of store. It would be great if swimming pools had real live nymphomaniac mermaids and frogs had little shock absorbers instead of legs so they wouldn't always be bumping their butts on the ground, too, but falls into about the same level of probability.

It could if the manager is a smart cookie.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    It could if the manager is a smart cookie.

In theory, yes... but he certainly has an uphill battle, particularly if he has constraints and limitations flowing from corporate bean counters. If you can only pay a wage that competes with McDonald's, for example, your choices are limited and your ability to motivate your employees to try to to better are generally limited, as well.

glocksock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    Carroll County
    This isn't just a trend at Gender Mountain, but in much of retail. Circuit City decided to get rid of seasoned staff and keep the younger, less knowledgeable staff (to save money), and they lost a ton of market share, business, and eventually went bankrupt over it. Best Buy now seems to be following their example.

Companies would be WISE to hire folks with a GREAT DEAL of knowledge for such positions. In this day of online shopping, customer service can be the difference between getting the business, or losing it.

I couldn't agree with you more. I use to drive to chicago to buy computer parts from tiger direct. And there service just got to the point where one day some guy made a huge deal about having to ring out my $500 purchase before his lunch... My wife who is normally timid and avoids any type of conflict let him have it and we walked out and ordered online... Just an example that its just ot gamder but its everywhere. But u are totally right. Customer service Is not on the top of companies list any more. $$$$ are... And it's just a shame. Wonder what the gander will be like here in Lafayette when it opens...

glocksock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    Carroll County

That's great reading:)

glocksock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    Carroll County
    In theory, yes... but he certainly has an uphill battle, particularly if he has constraints and limitations flowing from corporate bean counters. If you can only pay a wage that competes with McDonald's, for example, your choices are limited and your ability to motivate your employees to try to to better are generally limited, as well.

This is a really big part of the customer service issue I feel. But I bet there would be a huge difference in their tudes for just a dollar more an hour...

Top Bottom