• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Nicks in Huntington is awesome. Been there around 100 years and the Tenderloins……your jar will drop. Last time there young couple next to us said first time there and he ordered a tenderloin and when it came his jaw literally dropped. Everything is good, the pulled pork is pretty good also.

If you want to pay a little more for pizza then Unabellas in Wabash, regular pizza just sucks now for me. Its a old motorcycle shop and not much inside for style or comfort but the guy burns a chunk of wood in a brick oven and slides the pizza inside next to it…..amazing.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The only one of those that i have been to is 12, and wasn't impressed. Been wanting to go to 1 (Voodoo), it isn't far from here. Last time i tried a new restaurant based on a list like this, i was a bit disappointed.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    If you want to pay a little more for pizza then Unabellas in Wabash, regular pizza just sucks now for me. Its a old motorcycle shop and not much inside for style or comfort but the guy burns a chunk of wood in a brick oven and slides the pizza inside next to it…..amazing.

We go to Wabash quite a bit, and that sounds like a place i'd like to try! We are always trying to think of a place to eat around there!

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Nicks in Huntington is awesome. Been there around 100 years and the Tenderloins……your jar will drop. Last time there young couple next to us said first time there and he ordered a tenderloin and when it came his jaw literally dropped. Everything is good, the pulled pork is pretty good also.

We go to Wabash quite a bit, and that sounds like a place I'd like to try! We are always trying to think of a place to eat around there!

Unabellas was really good. They forgot to put a topping on half our pizza and insisted it was that it was free. The waitress got a really good tip that night as I made up for the free pizza with the tip.

One pizza place that is even better than Unabella is Venturi in Goshen. This place got me started on woodfire pizza and havent found a better place yet.

CindyE its a little on the pricey side but had a first date at Market Street Grill in Wabash and it was really good. Had the prime rib and it was one of the best I've had.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    South Street Smokehouse is awesome. Probably my favorite restaurant. I also think the Beef House is overrated. Maybe quality beef, but no flavor. I prefer Maple Corner if I'm around Covington.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was surprised to see Triple X on the list. I'd almost forgotten about that place. Spent more than one late night there when I lived in W. Lafayette almost 40 years ago.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    The author, Courtney Johnston, is going to make me go broke. She constantly is writing these stories for Indiana and I see them on Facebook all the time. Anyways, I've been to two of those restaurants on this list. I've recently started trying to get out more to try new places away from the Indy metro area. Here are some suggestions:

Winchester: Referees is a local place that has only been around for a bit. I guess the owners of a Mexican restaurant opened it up. They have a small menu, typical American fare. The inside is very nice, lots of TVs around. They had a nice bar area as well. It is right off US-27. If you head out from Indy I would highly suggest taking US 36 east. The windmill farm out in that part of the state is really big. I know there is opposition from some locals, but at night you see all these red lights illuminate in unison (for the most part). The Winchester Cafe was also decent. Just a typical small town diner. This town is located near the highest point in Indiana and there is a neat coin shop called Silvertowne on the north side of the city.

Hagerstown: Willie and Red's had some great fried chicken. They also have a well rated buffet at certain times. We stopped at Dale's Pizza for ice cream. The pizza others were served looked really good and we hope to try their pizza soon. Also in town is Bowman Bakery and Abbott's Candy Shop. Both of these places were closed when we went though. There is another restaurant that is known for good fried chicken called Willow Springs. However, they only do fried chicken on certain days (or maybe just one day) and they usually sellout before they close.

Laurel: The Laurel Hotel has some great fried chicken. There is a sign that the place is for sale so if one wants a good road trip head out here soon. Their hours are just Thursday through Sunday, and they are only open late Fri-Sun. They have a bar area with one TV.

I think I might make a website of all these different places to eat. We've tried places in Morristown, Shelbyville, Knightstown, Batesville, and others. Lots of good places to eat around the state.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Boy, it's nice to read about these off-the-beaten-path locations...

But damn, nearly everyone of them show pictures of food service products. If I wanted canned green beans and instant potatoes from an ice cream scoop, I'd add boiling water myself.

Most telling, including Beef House on more than one of their lists seems to give away the game. Only good if you need to feed a bus load and they insist on sitting together.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    I guess 74 is not a beaten path there in Covington. Guess that means I live WAY out in the boonies!

We head south and get off that beaten path every once in a while. Me?? I'm not much into steaks... don't shoot!! I love their salad bar though.

No I'm not a vegan.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    In the Zydeco's picture, the lady on the right looks like she's not sure what she just put in her mouth!

I'm sure I had that same look when we ate there! It's only 15 minutes from our front door but it's unlikely we'll every eat there again. Not saying it's bad, it just wasn't our thing.

XXX On the other hand. . .never again

Top Bottom