• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cableguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Southwest Indiana
    It's without a doubt the most well known assault rifle around the world. It spread like wildfire from the frozen tundras of Russia and into the jungles of Asia. From the deserts of the Middle East to the wastelands of Africa, the AK-47 has carved out its place in the history of firearms. It can withstand every harsh condition a soldier or civilian would expect to find himself in. There really isn't a reason why a person wouldn't want to add one to their collection. I'm not saying everyone's out to get their hands on one but it can be assumed that anyone interested in firearms wouldn't mind adding one of these durable rifles to their collection (whether to keep or sell). But for those who are interested in buying one (I was once but I bought a pistol instead), the question always rattles around: Which brand should I buy? Now, the design is proven to work so I think we can all assume any of the copies or originals are at least decent. So please feel free to write down either the model you have or would want to own and what you like about it to better inform those who are interested in buying the AK-47 assault rifle. Personally, I like Izmrash.
    I have been very happy with my Saiga. Over 1000 rnds through it and not a single hiccup yet. Put on a Tapco buttstock/pistol grip combo and gali style forend to make it more comfortable and give it more of the "AK look" My father bought a WASR 10 and is happy with it as well, although he paid $200 more than my gun.

Spectre.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I'm in South Florida. It's funny because on one side of the gun shows there's new firearms for considerably cheaper prices than on the other side of the gun show. It's pretty pathetic. Florida has always been bizarre with guns though...

arbitrary

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    My experience: For fit and finish, standard Romanians are probably the worse. Good ones are perfectly functional. Problem AKs are more likely Romanian than other types, partly because they are the most common, and partly due to sloppy manufacturing at the factory or in hobbyist builds.

Romanian WASRs are built for export to US, and Romy Gs are built to military specs.

Last edited:

Spectre.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Very interesting... I have a friend who has a Romanian AK but I haven't heard anything about it because he rarely, if ever, uses it. Like I said, I love Russian Izmash AK's but I think if I had to buy an AK rifle, I'd buy a Galil (and I'd save up for the ARM in 7.62x51mm).

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Arsenal is widely considered to be the top of the AK heap. You'll pay more though. Quality and finish is said to be extremely high.

I bought a Lancaster AKM and couldn't be happier. (well, if it was less than the $700.00 I paid...) Very smooth action, obvious quality, fit and finish. With a 74 style muzzle break, I have minimal felt recoil even with poly furniture.

On the other hand, I have a buddy with a Romak he bought for about $200 a few years back and it works just fine. Not as nice, but goes 'bang' when you pull the trigger every time.

If you want the perfect variant for you, ask around and try before you buy.
    If you just want an entry-level AK, find a cheap Romy or Yugo and go to town.

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    I like building them more than shooting them. I have a couple Romanians builds and a Hungarian build but my favorite is a Bulgarian AK-74.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've seen pre-ban style Arsenals/Saiga rifles for around 950 bucks. Worth it?

IMO, not when you can get an Arsenal SLR-107F for $859.00.
    https://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17040&cat=357&page=1

Will I notice that much of a different between a 950 Arsenal and a 500 dollar other rifle?

Partly depends on what the "other rifle" is.

From a shooting standpoint, there will be very little difference between them. It's the overall build quality (does "fit and finish" even apply to an AK?) where you will find the big difference.

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm going to jump in here and attempt to lure you to the dark side.

No, not the dark side many of you think.

These:
    VZ-58S-800px.jpg

If you want what the AK should have been, check these out.
    Czechpoint USA - distributor of Sa vz. 58 rifles and Sa vz. 61 Scorpions <--:rockwoot: THese guys are the BEST!

Pay attention to the upper right. The price you see is the price you pay.
    I have one I built from a kit, I bought mags and spare parts from them. Once you see one, hold one and shoot one, you will never want anything else. Milled receiver, rifle empty is almost a pound less than a stamped steel AK and a full vz58 mag weighs just about as much as an EMPTY steel AK mag. Uses a gas piston separate from the carrier and is striker fired.

You want a QUALITY AK type rifle check these out.

BTW, Czechpoint should have 5.56 vz58 available by Christmas. I can't wait to see one.:ar15:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN

These:
    VZ-58S-800px.jpg

Czechpoint USA - distributor of Sa vz. 58 rifles and Sa vz. 61 Scorpions <--:rockwoot: THese guys are the BEST!

I have one I built from a kit, I bought mags and spare parts from them. Once you see one, hold one and shoot one, you will never want anything else. Milled receiver, rifle empty is almost a pound less than a stamped steel AK and a full vz58 mag weighs just about as much as an EMPTY steel AK mag. Uses a gas piston separate from the carrier and is striker fired.

BTW, Czechpoint should have 5.56 vz58 available by Christmas. I can't wait to see one.:ar15:

Semi- neutered rifle, though. No bayonet lug... and I can't tell by pics but does it not have a flash supressor either? I do like a milled receiver. It looks sharp. Does it take proprietary mags?

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

These:
    VZ-58S-800px.jpg

If it was an AK variant, yes I would vote for one of these. Now you are opening up a whole new can of worms. It does have a bayonet lug also. It just doesn't take AK bayonets. Entirely different gun altogether.

Last edited:

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I could be wrong but Im pretty sure the VZ58 uses a different mag than an AK variant....... which sucks. Ive got plenty of AK mags, and would hate to have to buy more of something so similar.

Once you hold a vz mag w/30 rounds in it in one hand and an empty AK mag in the other and realize that they are about the same, I would think you could find it to be worth it to buy the vz mags. The difference in weight is amazing.
    The price on vz mags is not too bad now, $13 from Czechpoint.
    The AK mags do have the advantage of being a decent club in a pinch!:yesway:

There are a few guys who have converted mags to work, takes a bit of welding and fitting, but it can be done.

Some guys have even taken Romainian 75rd drum mags and converted them to work in their vz58.

Top Bottom