• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Sig P320 Compact is my favorite so far (yes, really). We'll have to see if I feel the same way after the trigger modifications. I like the Beretta 92FS, but I'm not in love with traditional double action. I think Beretta missed the boat by not currently offering a Beretta 92D.

daventos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford
    OK, I will define best now….

Most accurate and feels good in hand (I know that one is very subjective). I have large hands and many of today's guns seem to be made for those with smaller hands. So I would want to be able to get some grips that fit and would be able to replace what comes with the gun which is also not done much apparently. IDK about the number of rounds, I have plenty of guns with many rounds. I want a nice shooter and have considered a nice 9mm 1911 since I love the 1911's I have too.

I hope that helps, if not ask me and I will reply again.

I am also able to carry a full sized handgun concealed so who knows? maybe I will carry it?

I have big hands as well. I shoot a Sig P228 that is comfortable and very accurate once you get used to the heavy trigger pull on the first shot.

daventos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford
    I have big hands as well. I shoot a Sig P228 that is comfortable and very accurate once you get used to the heavy trigger pull on the first shot.

There are also quite a few aftermarket grips but I haven't tried any of them as I am happy with the stock grips. I did add a small piece of grip tape on the front strap that made a big difference.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I prefer revolvers for most of my shooting, but I will weigh in anyway. Everyone else has. :):

Several have mentioned the Sig 226. They are great and I have one my wife got me for our 5th anniversary, 28 years ago. The 1911 has been mentioned a few times too. Great design, I have several, but they should be chambered in 45.

My pick is kind of a cross between those two guns. The Sig 226 X5 SAO. These are made in the German Mastershop. 5" barrel, most have adjustable trigger, stainless frame, most are SAO w/ ambi safety (there are some DA/SA). For those that mentioned a fondness for steel and wood, they look great with the Nill grips they come with. These guns shoot as great as a P210, but are double stack. I have a L1 and a Competition model. They both shoot great. Below is my L1 with a FF3 (sorry, not a great photo). They shoot great in Steel Challenge matches or just plinking when you want to show off. They are kind of heavy, but no one mentioned best carry 9mm. This is the best 9mm, period. Now, if you want the best 9mm for carry, or throwing in the back of your truck, or for IDPA, or for the price, or readily available (it's tough getting an X5 now), or whatever, you need to qualify the question. I still have some Nomex from my firefighter days, so flame on.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    I'd have to say that my favorite or "best" new production 9mm would have to be the CZ P10C. It is my newest acquisition, and fits just about any role I want to throw at it. It has been reliable through the first 500 rounds, fits my smaller hands well, the trigger is great out-of-the-box for a striker, and is very accurate. The price point is comparable or cheaper than most in it's category.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I don't know about "best" but after handling the CZ Shadow 2 at a recent store, I'd argue it MUST be in the running.

And for what it is, the price is very reasonable.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    After getting the trigger upgrade, I like the my Sig P320 Compact even better. As an old revolver shooter, the trigger suits me. It'll make a good host for my Silencerco Osprey. It may be my EDC for the winter in the future. For sub compact, I EDC a Kahr CM 9 with Crimson Trace.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    OK, I will define best now….

Most accurate and feels good in hand (I know that one is very subjective). I have large hands and many of today's guns seem to be made for those with smaller hands. So I would want to be able to get some grips that fit and would be able to replace what comes with the gun which is also not done much apparently. IDK about the number of rounds, I have plenty of guns with many rounds. I want a nice shooter and have considered a nice 9mm 1911 since I love the 1911's I have too.

I hope that helps, if not ask me and I will reply again.

I am also able to carry a full sized handgun concealed so who knows? maybe I will carry it?

I have a pair of Sigs(40&45), I even have an HK USP(45), but my 9mm...is a Steyr.
    I chose the C9-A1. It has a full size grip with a shorter barrel/slide. Small enough to carry with grips big enough for my hands. Supper comfortable shooter with a low bore axis that helps keep recoil down and accuracy high. Might take some time to get used to the trap sights but you can swap them or find one with dots if you prefer.
    Plenty of reviews on Youtube for this one. Check out the reviews from Hickok45 and Nutnfancy.

Last edited:

shootinit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    NE
    It is really enlightening to hear what everyone's pick is for the "best". I am legal to carry in 41 states. I have traveled into almost every state in the last 15 years. So for me I had to take into account a handgun I could also use as an automobile/truck self defensive gun. I have carried them all. From Glocks to Dan Wesson 1911's. My weapon of choice has come down to a Kahr K40 Elite and a Kahr K9 Elite 98. All stainless and both are outfitted with 4 inch barrels. The round of choice is a 40 S&W. After years of testing, range time, study and much deliberation, a 165 grain bullet moving at 1260 fps and almost 600 ft pounds of energy is really hard to fault. Along with the lowest db report of all the rounds from a 9mm to a .44mag with the exception of a lite .44 spl.the .40 S&W is a potent round and shoots much flatter than a .45acp and packs more wallop than a +p 9mm. My range requirement was 50 yards or 150 feet. I mainly shoot the K9 at the range because it has the same amazing trigger and accuracy as my K40 Elite. These Kahr's are costly but have never had a hiccup of any kind. I just simply hit what I shoot at much better with these two handguns than all others that are in the carry class. They are heavier than Glocks. But it permits me to move up to the .40 S&W and have less recoil than a G19, and they are smaller. All this is subjective and my own opinion. A 9mm is a great round and one of my favorite guns of all time is my Sig P2226 TacOps with a threaded barrel,and A Dan wesson VBOB in .45acp. Also have a pocket Kahr and an ancle Kahe in 9mm. Just like the little bit extra that a .40 S&W gives me. I use Underwood as carry self defense ammo. Always have 3 extra mags on hand.

jake 2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    indianapolis
    It is really enlightening to hear what everyone's pick is for the "best". I am legal to carry in 41 states. I have traveled into almost every state in the last 15 years. So for me I had to take into account a handgun I could also use as an automobile/truck self defensive gun. I have carried them all. From Glocks to Dan Wesson 1911's. My weapon of choice has come down to a Kahr K40 Elite and a Kahr K9 Elite 98. All stainless and both are outfitted with 4 inch barrels. The round of choice is a 40 S&W. After years of testing, range time, study and much deliberation, a 165 grain bullet moving at 1260 fps and almost 600 ft pounds of energy is really hard to fault. Along with the lowest db report of all the rounds from a 9mm to a .44mag with the exception of a lite .44 spl.the .40 S&W is a potent round and shoots much flatter than a .45acp and packs more wallop than a +p 9mm. My range requirement was 50 yards or 150 feet. I mainly shoot the K9 at the range because it has the same amazing trigger and accuracy as my K40 Elite. These Kahr's are costly but have never had a hiccup of any kind. I just simply hit what I shoot at much better with these two handguns than all others that are in the carry class. They are heavier than Glocks. But it permits me to move up to the .40 S&W and have less recoil than a G19, and they are smaller. All this is subjective and my own opinion. A 9mm is a great round and one of my favorite guns of all time is my Sig P2226 TacOps with a threaded barrel,and A Dan wesson VBOB in .45acp. Also have a pocket Kahr and an ancle Kahe in 9mm. Just like the little bit extra that a .40 S&W gives me. I use Underwood as carry self defense ammo. Always have 3 extra mags on hand.
    3 extra mags is there a zombie apocalypse i didn't here about. Lol

jake 2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    indianapolis
    The best carry gun is the one you have with you and can hit your target with. I carry my sig P320 when i can and when i have to be a little more incognito my ruger lcp2 but that's just what works for me

jake 2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    indianapolis
    and anyone worrying about stopping power just remember Native Americans used to take down woolly mammoths with just a tiny arrow traveling about a hundred feet per second

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

Nice post, and welcome to the forum. There are a lot of guys on here that will poo poo the .40. I own a couple .40's myself and still think it is a very viable round.
    Right now my EDC is a Vickers G17, one of the originals with the FDE frame. I carried a Glock 31 for years, chambered in .357sig, another great round that has more of cult following.
    As far as spare mags go, I carry 3 spare mags as well as the one in the pistol, I have yet too see any kind of AAR (after action report) where someone states they had too much ammo with them.

I did have to google the Kahr's you own, I looked pretty hard at a PM 40 (about a year ago) as a "deep cover" pistol, they are very small for what they pack. I had never known or looked at the Elite series before, nice looking pistols.
    Again welcome aboard, and enjoy the forum, lots of good info here.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom