• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spectre.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    So I just got back from the range today and I came to the conclusion that South Florida shooters are, without a doubt, some of athe worst shooters ever. Now in all fairness there are some truly incredible shots down here but the vast majority of the people are terrible. (The reason why I'm a part of this website is due to the fact that you people know your stuff about firearms.) Now I'm a young guy of 19 who's of moderate shooting experience but I can say I was able to shoot better than everyone at that range (It's not a very large indoor range and those rangemasters could probably teach me a thing or two.) But down here in Florida 90% of the guns people have are silver, 9mm, Glock or Beretta (I personally dislike them but it would be foolish to say they're terrible firearms), and carry at least 15 rounds and that's mainly because South Florida people need 15 shots to hit something once. In other words, if it isn't a pistol a thug held sideways in a movie, most people down here don't like it.

At the range, there was a guy shooting a very nice Ruger revolver at a target about ten feet away and had several times where he didn't even get a round on the paper. Then there was this other guy who was using a nice Sig P226 9mm (of course) who thought he was a gunslinger for placing three rounds out of his full magazine on the 5 ring of his target. Then there was a cop a few stalls over using a .357 revolver who tried to teach me how to "improve" my shooting when he placed four of his six rounds into the 6, 5, 4, and 7 rings of his target at 15 feet while his other two shots went rocketing down the range and ricocheting into the bullet trap. Yep, typical police grouping down here (South Florida's SWAT officers know how to shoot though). I was able to place nearly (around 80%) every shot I fired within the 10 and 9 innermost rings at a distance of 35 feet while any stray shots hit the 7 ring. My target was the farthest target out of all of the stalls. My father did well with his .22 at the same distance.

In conclusion my fellow Americans from Indiana, if you ever want feel dominant at a gun range, come down to Florida and impress everyone.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Well, everyone's gotta start somewhere!

I tell you, though, if you saw me shoot my snubby revolver with the PMC ammo I had once...you'd swear that I was the worst shot in the world. I couldn't hit a paper plate at 20 feet. It was terrible stuff.

-J-

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    Public range? If so, there's your problem. You were seeing gun owners, not shooters. There is a distinct difference. My apologies to the gun owners out there.

I can't speak for south Florida, only central, but find your nearest USPSA match, I guarantee your impression will change.

Spectre.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Well I've been to a few ranges and the results are pretty much the same. I've been with a few police officers and their shooting abilities weren't exactly good. I have observed, however, that officers who undergo SWAT training have very good results on the range. I've also seen a few private contractors shoot and those guys are very, very impressive. Their shirts said SCG International Security Solutions or something like that but those guys outperformed everyone on the range that day.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I think "gun owners" everywhere just haven't got any training at all!:rolleyes: Now God bless anyone who chooses to exercise their 2nd Amend. rights, we need MORE of them.Training is expensive, and top notch training(ICE, Clint Smith, Gunsite) is like buying a used car. But some safety, marksmanship training is in order for new shooters. I'm amazed at people who can buy a $1500 gun and not spend$100-300 for SOME training.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    Public range? If so, there's your problem. You were seeing gun owners, not shooters. There is a distinct difference. My apologies to the gun owners out there.

I can't speak for south Florida, only central, but find your nearest USPSA match, I guarantee your impression will change.
    Agreed. Many of the shooters (not gun owners) I've seen at organized matches (USPSA/IDPA) were on par with those I shot with in Indiana. However, the personalities down here are lacking compared to IN guys I shot with at Riley.

Now, I will agree that public ranges are scary places. The range I took my CCW course at, I was shooting/qualifying next to a girl with a 380 Jiminez or something. Paper at 5 yards looked like a shotgun pattern at 15. And we'll not even discuss some of the safety issues I saw at a range up in Georgia a couple weeks ago.

rpcblast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    ok so i guess what is considered a "good shot"? I can hit center mass at i think its 25 feet at the range(dons, please dont flame lol its convenient) with all of my mag(usually what happens is I have most in the center mass one or two in the head). I can also get all on center mass/head at 5-15 when firing much quicker(sort of defensive scenerio). I by no means think I am a "good shot" but I hear people talking about 1 inch groups at 25 yards with a handgun and it kinda changes the perspective. Just to note I am shooting a Taurus 1911 45 acp.

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I want to enter the worst shot contest for INGO. In a house defense situation I am not trying to hit a paper plate and not from 30+ feet.

As I say, tounge in cheeck, lots of rounds down range and hope to scare the bejeepers out of them.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    Well I've been to a few ranges and the results are pretty much the same. I've been with a few police officers and their shooting abilities weren't exactly good. I have observed, however, that officers who undergo SWAT training have very good results on the range. I've also seen a few private contractors shoot and those guys are very, very impressive. Their shirts said SCG International Security Solutions or something like that but those guys outperformed everyone on the range that day.

SCG International Risk= Smith Consulting Group. Jamie Smith was the first Director of Blackwater. VERY HSLD. Where did you see them at?

Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    I don't know... I think I am the worst shot. Unfortunately I can't prove it because I lost all my guns.... in a tragic boating accident.

Top Bottom