• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I ran across this quick tip on the best way to scare off a home invader. Getting a home invader to leave without a confrontation is probably best. Sleep with you car keys (and hence panic alarm) right next to you. I thought this idea was so good I made a video about it.

[ame="http://youtu.be/AHA2cpFwwiY"]http://youtu.be/AHA2cpFwwiY[/ame]

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    But what about we who don't drive the new-fangled vehicles? None of my 5 vehicles have panic buttons on the keys. Only one ever has.

I prefer the Middle Ages head on a pike as a warning option.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That's not a bad thought if it's meant to let the intruder know you know he's there. I don't think it will bring help to your aid though. (I think most people are numb to these alarms actually meaning somebody is in distress). Obviously not every possible solution will work in all scenarios and I'm not saying that is what you are asserting...as an illustration, if you were in my house, an intruder may not be able to hear my truck's horn going off because of its usual proximity to my house. One other point: I don't think all panic alarms will go off indefinitely. Seems like I've accidentally set mine off before and it shut its self off after a couple of minutes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's not a bad thought if it's meant to let the intruder know you know he's there. I don't think it will bring help to your aid though. (I think most people are numb to these alarms actually meaning somebody is in distress). Obviously not every possible solution will work in all scenarios and I'm not saying that is what you are asserting...as an illustration, if you were in my house, an intruder may not be able to hear my truck's horn going off because of its usual proximity to my house. One other point: I don't think all panic alarms will go off indefinitely. Seems like I've accidentally set mine off before and it shut its self off after a couple of minutes.

It is not a terrible idea. It will buy you some moments to arm yourself or get your bearings.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Panic alarm may or may not work when needed, depending on many factors including but not limited to distance of remote from car. Precious time wasted if it doesn't work.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    NO - DOES NOT WORK. It is a good idea but certainly nothing to count on.

About 11 years ago an elderly man, Don, live 3 doors down from me. He had an alarm on his house, with get this a very large horn in the attic. When an intruder broke into his house the alarm went off. The alarm could easily be heard the entire length of the block we live on. Guess what? The intruder had time to put a blanket over the old man's head, beat him, interrogate him as to the location of his valuables, rob him and get away clean before anyone intervened. And forget the cops, by the time they showed up it was well over. Cops can not protect you they can only respond when they get a call.

Having layered security is a very good idea. Good lighting, good locks, alarms etc. But bottom line, it comes down to you and the bad guy facing off. The best defense is you being able and willing to physically defend yourself.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    So the idea is that the criminal who just broke a window or lock and entered my home is going to run back in the direction of a loud noise outside?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    If you watched until the end I suggested that you keep your SPARE remote with your gun. The idea comes from a study of criminals (I would have to find it again) where thousands of criminals were studied for their behaviors. It was found that doing something like this would scare most of them off. I said most. Life is a play on probabilities.

If you keep your key in your vault, safe, whatever you get two benefits (at least for me). The first is what is mentioned in the video. The second is you always know where your spare keys are.

As far as it working, test it. Bring the remote to where you will access it and see if it works, multiple times. Even if it doesn't work, if you kept it with your gun you still can blast away.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    I prefer the Middle Ages head on a pike as a warning option.

THIS! :+1:

orc20head20on20a20stick.jpg

:rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you commit the felonious act of breaking in to my home, I will see you as a threat to my, and my families, life. I will act in accordance with the law to end that threat. My actions will not include racking slides, or beeping horns in hopes of scaring you away.

Nimrodknaack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    So.....Scare them off this time so they can come back and finish another time? I was always told its better to finish a job the first time. :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I am not against using force on an intruder in the least. Even in Indiana if you do so you will be at the mercy of the law. Trust me, the best way to end any confrontation like this is not to get in it in the first place.

Nimrodknaack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    I agree that its always better to avoid force until the last possible moment. That moment ends at my doorstep...

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I am not against using force on an intruder in the least. Even in Indiana if you do so you will be at the mercy of the law. Trust me, the best way to end any confrontation like this is not to get in it in the first place.

If you get chemicals into your eye, do you go to the hospital first?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

That is the first thing you have said that I agree with totally.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom