www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ... is to not put yourself in one.

A lady I went to HS with posted this today on the facebooks. She did it right.

Yet again another reason to pay attention to your surroundings. Went to Greenwood Mall parked at the Von Maur South entrance. Went in and dropped a pair of shoes off at Hackey to get new tips put on them. Got done, went back out to my car, got in and locked the door immediately. I wasn't in my car half a minute and a guy walked up and pulled on my drivers door handle. If it hadn't been locked he would have gotten it open. Paying attention to my surroundings when I arrived, I saw individuals walking around the parking lot. They looked a little disheveled and unclean. So I wanted to make sure when I got back into my car, I locked it right away. I called Greenwood Mall immediately and they said that they've been reported and security were on their way. They may have been harmless, but someone pulling on someone else's door handle doesn't seem harmless to me. If he would have gotten in, he would have got a nasty loud surprise.

(more details later in the thread...)
    I dont scare easily and am pretty even keel in stressful situations. I have decently tinted windows. You have to be close to see into them. I didn't give him a chance to speak. I held one hand up to the window and made a shew motion and had my other on my weapon. The woman stood at the back of my car. I put it into reverse and slowly backed up a bit to suggest she move. But I left it in gear when I stopped to not auto unlock the doors if I put it in park. I called mall right then.

She was heads-up and aware of her surroundings. She locked her doors as soon as she got in. Two factors for which is why I titled the post the way I did.

The only thing better would have been for her to call 911 and give a description. As I recall she is far more armed than any Simon Mall Cop those guys are just armed with a yellow flashing light on a CRV, a beer gut and a firm tone of voice. That was a job for someone wearing big boy pants, not a mall cop.

Stay safe and keep an eye on your surroundings.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    She did good. They were definitely not trying to have a chat with her unless it was a give me all your money, jewelry, credit cards and phone kind of chat.

This story also highlights why I HATE cars that unlock all their doors when you put them in park. I've been a lot of places when the last thing I want the car to do is just go ahead and unlock all the doors.

One of the first things I do with a new vehicle is get into the manual and figure out how to disable that 'feature'. I don't know of any new car that won't allow the door to open with the handle anyway unless there's a child lock on it (and if you need a child lock you don't want the doors auto-unlocking anyway).

Nitro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2017
    Columbus
    That is crazy the nerve on some people! This is why you should carry. She did a good job for the situation. Luckily she had some protection if things would have gotten any worse. Good on her! It is always important to pay attention to your surroundings. Glad your friend is good and no harm came about.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    She did good. They were definitely not trying to have a chat with her unless it was a give me all your money, jewelry, credit cards and phone kind of chat.

This story also highlights why I HATE cars that unlock all their doors when you put them in park. I've been a lot of places when the last thing I want the car to do is just go ahead and unlock all the doors.

One of the first things I do with a new vehicle is get into the manual and figure out how to disable that 'feature'. I don't know of any new car that won't allow the door to open with the handle anyway unless there's a child lock on it (and if you need a child lock you don't want the doors auto-unlocking anyway).

My Ford's autounlock feature is a bit different. It unlocks all doors once the car is in park/turned off and the drivers door is opened. 2010 Fusion

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thanks for the post Cameramonkey. For every one of these stories we know there are probably hundreds we don't hear about. Without SA your friend could've been robbed, or ran over the lady standing behind the car.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    About two years ago I started feeling more vulnerable and not young, now scan constantly when I am out and about. Also lock doors asap on the car, never leave house doors unlocked/open, garage doors are only open to take stuff in and out. Have the wife doing it too. For the car, I turned off the horn honk/light flash when locking/unlocking. Don't like advertising to the world I just left my car or that I just unlocked it. Also froze my credit reports at the three bureaus, this is free to Indiana residents.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Any idea what time of day this occurred?

Kirk's recent Wal-Mart incident was in the middle of the day.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Thanks for sharing. Some observations (things we probably all already know, but are once again illustrated by example):

1. Parking lots are transition areas. A lot of crime happens in parking lots.

2. Awareness pays off - especially in parking lots (see #1). When we’re alone, this is more easily managed. Think about how you might handle parking lots with several smallish children in tow, etc. In this case, it was the woman’s awareness BEFORE the incident (noticing “walkers” in the parking lot) that seems to have been most beneficial (in locking her doors immediately). I get the sense the guy “appeared” at her door which makes me wonder if her awareness - once her doors were locked - was as good. I wouldn't be surprised if she was dithering in her vehicle for a bit, maybe task fixated on something else (she says 30 sec, but who knows, regardless, that’s a fair bit of time). This is pretty common (looking at receipts, checking texts, balancing checkbook, etc.). Get in the car, lock the doors, start the vehicle, put on your belt and go. Anything other than that and someone needs to be on watch.

3. Normal parking lot behavior is to walk from your car to place of business and vice versa. Wandering in parking lots is suspicious behavior that warrants attention.

4. Kudos that she was conscious of the fact that if she took her car out of gear (due to the woman at the back of the car) that her doors would unlock. How are your vehicle locks configured? Automatic unlocking at an inopportune time can be problematic. If pulling on your vehicle’s door mechanically unlocks the door there’s less reason for auto-unlock to be configured.

5. Certain perps often travel in packs. In this case a man tried the door while a woman remained at the rear of the vehicle. Your response plans should account for other perpetrators you may not contact initially.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Paying attention to my surroundings when I arrived, I saw individuals walking around the parking lot. They looked a little disheveled and unclean.

My guess is they didn't realize the car was occupied at first. Predators don't travel in spread out packs like that, theft rings do. They'll spread out, scout cars that are unlocked or have visible valuables. Then once they've accrued enough targets, they'll break into all of them rapidly then beat feet to a pick-up location. Particularly watch for cell phone use. The one doing most of the talking is coordinating. The pick up vehicle will be in a neighboring parking lot more than likely.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Thanks to this, I finally took the time to figure out how to disable auto-unlock when shifting to park. It always kind of bothered me, but I was never at a computer when it was being thought about.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks to this, I finally took the time to figure out how to disable auto-unlock when shifting to park. It always kind of bothered me, but I was never at a computer when it was being thought about.

That was one of the first things I did.
    Auto - lock when I start driving.
    Disable - unlock when I stop.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Another thing to mention. And I have been guilty of myself. Keep your head out of your phone keep your head up. Don't look down.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I have a 2015 Chrysler 200.
    The second day I had the dealer disable auto unlock.

But I could not have this very stupid design corrected.
    I need the key-bob to enter and start the car.
    Once the car is running anyone can drive it.
    meaning I am forced to get out or the car is grabbed.
    the key-bob is still in my Possession.
    A notice flashes in the dashboard "key-bob not in car".
    The perf turn the knob to Drive and drives away.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I don't know of any car that shuts off once the key fob is out of range for the simple reason that sometimes interference causes the car to not be able to find the fob. When we still had to carry a pager, if I had my fob in the same pocket the car wouldn't detect it. I'd hate to be driving and all of a sudden the car decides I shouldn't be driving because it can't find the fob.

It's still better than a key, as once they shut it off they can't restart it.

On a side note, I did have a carjacker apprehended in a restaurant parking lot because he was 'locked in'. The woman bailed with her fob, shutting the car off with the button on her way out, and then locked the doors. Restaurant employees saw the robbery and went to help. They held the doors closed until police arrived.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

And pray the perp drives home. Its dead in his drive as soon as he shuts it off.

Top Bottom