• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Thanks Kalash. It was a casual musing that really didnt warrant my time doing research. But since we were here... I appreciate the info.

All good! I'm always happy to try and plan a meet-up and bring some of my stuff along. I've enjoyed introducing folks to the AK family of guns for a long time - quite a bit of variety in that tree and almost all of it is fun.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2016
    Boffa
    I remember seeing these come out a few years ago being featured in Recoil and kinda forgot about them. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention, this kinda thing is the perfect ranch rifle.

Carmel Corn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Carmel
    I always wonder how soon will 7.62x39 not be available in the US
    IMHO, Tula and Wolf are still plentiful. If you're looking for Golden Tiger, it is getting harder to find, even on GB. Brown Bear is good stuff and can still be found. If you like Silver Bear or Golden Bear, good luck finding much of that in 7.62x39. Brass versions like PMC, S&B are still available, but figure a buck a round.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I too am a fan of the Ruger American Ranch. Mine is in 300BLK and has become my dedicated deer rifle. Primary Arms SLX 1x6 ACSS scope, AAC Cyclone suppressor and Winchester Deer Season XP ammo round out the gun.

However, I never really liked the hollow stock on the gun. Felt and sounded cheap. So about 2 years ago, I did a resin fill on the stock and the forend to add weight and rigidity. It was an easy process and I REALLY love this gun now.

Here is the video I followed:

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    IMHO, Tula and Wolf are still plentiful. If you're looking for Golden Tiger, it is getting harder to find, even on GB. Brown Bear is good stuff and can still be found. If you like Silver Bear or Golden Bear, good luck finding much of that in 7.62x39. Brass versions like PMC, S&B are still available, but figure a buck a round.

FWIW to anyone not super familiar, searching for "Vympel" ammo is more fruitful these days, since Golden Tiger is just a brand name for stuff made at Russia's Vympel plant. Several importers have recently brought in Vympel ammo under different brand names.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Might be able to ditch the cheek riser if you could find some lower rings instead of the one piece AR rings. I've scoped quite a few of those Ruger Americans at this point.

Took your advice and snagged some medium Warne rings. Need to make a couple slight refinements next time I'm at the range, but the gun certainly feels a little more comfy like this. Also, the 7.62x39 ACE gets its optic mount back :) Thanks for the tip!

r1lBEAlh.jpeg

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Took your advice and snagged some medium Warne rings. Need to make a couple slight refinements next time I'm at the range, but the gun certainly feels a little more comfy like this. Also, the 7.62x39 ACE gets its optic mount back :) Thanks for the tip!

r1lBEAlh.jpeg
    That turned out lookin great! With the bag it looks very comfortable too.

Galil ACE? Ears perked up haha. I’ve gotten to fire the new galil in 7.62x39. It’s a whole different animal. Doesn’t quite feel like an AK. Much more refined. What’s your experiences been with it so far?

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Galil ACE? Ears perked up haha. I’ve gotten to fire the new galil in 7.62x39. It’s a whole different animal. Doesn’t quite feel like an AK. Much more refined. What’s your experiences been with it so far?

Haha not to thread jack, but I guess I'm the OP so whatever ... the ACE is fantastic. Have a first-gen 7.62x39 rifle, and the collection of IWI's limited run of 1.5-gen 5.45x39 guns - 16", 13", and 8". They all are wonderful in their own rights, but my hands-down fav is the 5.45 pistol with the 13" barrel. It is such a pleasant handling and shooting experience.

Now they are money pits for sure, especially running suppressed. I'm not a fan of the gen-1 handguards and polymer grip/magwell units, so tack on another ~$500+ for a KNS plastic delete kit (and piston if you really want to dial in the gas), Midwest or RS Regulate handguards, and aftermarket grip. IWI listened to its fans for the second gen, but I HATE that they dropped the excellent first-gen iron sights. So it's kind of six in one, half dozen in the other.

At the end of the day, it's kind of a tough argument when an old WASR-10 performs nearly as well at the range, so the ACE is definitely a top-shelf gun for mostly diehard AK fans/collectors, but I'd put the latter up against nearly anything in terms of fit, finish, and performance. It's a thing of beauty.

Top Bottom