• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Took my 9 year old son out fishing this weekend. I decided to give him a shot with the fly rod, and I'm happy to say he loved it. Now it is all he wants to do, and he is turning his nose up at the spinning rods! :cool:
    IMG_20140711_200614241_zpsh0muajob.jpg

IMG_20140712_210028_zpsbdszzy9a.jpg

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Pan fish are great fun, but if you really want to get him "hooked", set him up to tie into a 1 1/2 to 2 lb largemouth bass on one. :hooked:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Okay, some things are 'cool' just because they're cool. This is one of those things. :thumbsup:

TBH, though, I've never really understood why anyone would want to go fishing for flies. :scratch:

I dunno, that fish on the hook there looks like an awfully big piece of bait to fish for an itty-bitty fly. Maybe he's hoping to catch multiple flies? :dunno:

:lmfao:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    This will be something he'll remember for a long time. My dad taught me to fly fish and tie flys when I was young and it is still one of my favorite hobbies and fun things to do.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ha! He learned quickly that people notice somebody fly fishing. He happened to hear a few passers by commenting about the little boy who was fly fishing and thought that was pretty cool stuff! I'm thrilled that he likes it, as it is a part of my existence and heritage that I've neglected for too long. My 85 year old grandfather (who taught me to fly fish) was beaming when I told him about it.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    That's great. I'm looking forward to teaching my son (who just turned 1) how to fly fish. I'm hooked on the fly rod, and actually sold all my spinning stuff a few years back.

Top Bottom