• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    And then there's the fact that higher global temps results from/in higher surface water temps, which itself results in greater cloud formation, taking more water out of the world's oceans. Also, increased cloud formation results in lower surface solar radiation, greater reflection of sunlight back out into space, which has a global cooling effect. Also, plant growth has never been taking place at a higher rate than it is now, what with all the plant food (CO[SUB]2[/SUB]) in the atmosphere. Greater CO[SUB]2[/SUB] means more vegetation. More vegetation means more water being taken up from the land and air by that vegetation.

Mother Nature may be a *****, but she's a wonderously self-regulating *****.

You forgot to mention thermal expansion of water at rising temps. Combine all these factors and [video=youtube_share;oep4mRpmrkQ]http://youtu.be/oep4mRpmrkQ[/video]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's because it is produced by a tool of the new World Order, the trilateral commission, and secretly funded by Al Gore and Georgio Soros...it's a trick and a fraud.

:):

I know but I wanted to see just how far they will push the lie to line their pockets.

A 500 ft. rise in sea level. Aint that much water in every piece of ice on the planet.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    That well covers ice already in the water. I am interested in all the polar and glacier ice and the volumes it will add. Good discussion and points made.
    North Pole ice is floating ice, which will not contribute to ocean water volume if it melts. So the only ice that really needs to be considered is South Pole ice, which sits on land (Antarctica) and the glaciers in high latitude continental locations.

A quick wiki search came up with this:

The Antarctic ice mass has a volume of about 6.4 million cubic miles. The world's oceans have a volume of 310 million cubic miles. The Antarctic ice mass has about 60% of the earth's fresh water, so, at most there's another 4 million cubic miles of ice (and of course this number is way high since it assumes that all of earth's fresh water is ice, which it is not). So the total land ice would be around 10-11 million cubic miles. That's less than 4% of the ocean's volume.

How much overall depth is that going to contribute? Hard to imagine that much IMO. But I admit I didn't take the time to calculate what the depth of those 11 million cubis miles would be if spread out evenly over the geometry of the earth. That above my pay grade. And I never did like geometry much any way.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    James Lovelock
    "We need a more authoritative world. We’ve become a sort of cheeky, egalitarian world where everyone can have their say. It’s all very well, but there are certain circumstances – a war is a typical example – where you can’t do that. You’ve got to have a few people with authority who you trust who are running it. And they should be very accountable too, of course.But it can’t happen in a modern democracy. This is one of the problems. What’s the alternative to democracy? There isn’t one. But even the best democracies agree that when a major war approaches, democracy must be put on hold for the time being. I have a feeling that climate change may be an issue as severe as a war. It may be necessary to put democracy on hold for a while."

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. lashed out at global warming skeptics in 2007, declaring"This is treason and we need to start treating them as traitors."

UN special climate envoy Dr. Gro Harlem Brundtland – said “it’s completely immoral, even, to question the UN’s scientific consensus on climate.

In 2008, prominent Canadian environmentalist David Suzuki called for government leaders skeptical of global warming to be “thrown into jail.”

British journalism professor Alex Lockwood said that writers questioning global warming should be banned.

In 2009, a writer at Talking Points Memo advocated that global warming “deniers” be executed or jailed.

January 2014 , an assistant philosophy professor at Rochester Institute of Technology said he wants to send people who disagree with him about global warming to jail.

But it is science...for the children...please we need to tax carbon to save humanity.
    And yesterday, Adam Weinstein at Gawker: Arrest Climate-Change Deniers

You forgot to mention thermal expansion of water at rising temps.
    Your link already covered that, so I thought that doing so would be redundant.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    North Pole ice is floating ice, which will not contribute to ocean water volume if it melts. So the only ice that really needs to be considered is South Pole ice, which sits on land (Antarctica) and the glaciers in high latitude continental locations.

A quick wiki search came up with this:

The Antarctic ice mass has a volume of about 6.4 million cubic miles. The world's oceans have a volume of 310 million cubic miles. The Antarctic ice mass has about 60% of the earth's fresh water, so, at most there's another 4 million cubic miles of ice (and of course this number is way high since it assumes that all of earth's fresh water is ice, which it is not). So the total land ice would be around 10-11 million cubic miles. That's less than 4% of the ocean's volume.

How much overall depth is that going to contribute? Hard to imagine that much IMO. But I admit I didn't take the time to calculate what the depth of those 11 million cubis miles would be if spread out evenly over the geometry of the earth. That above my pay grade. And I never did like geometry much any way.

According to Scientific American:

Greenland, the world's largest island, holds enough ice to raise global sea levels by 23 feet (seven meters). Add the ice sheets of Antarctica and the oceans would deepen more than 200 feet (60 meters). Satellite measurements from space and speed measurements on land confirm that Greenland's glaciers are melting and on the move. And although the picture is less clear in Antarctica, the global warming seems to be having an impact there, too.

For those who want to do the calculation, the surface area of the Earth is 196.9 million sq miles. The saltwater oceans represent about 69% of the surface area.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK....riddle me this Batman....if all that fresh water hits the ocean what will that do to the salt content., Will it dilute it to the point it kills off the plankton which is the very base of the food chain.

Also.....these idiots can not tell us from day to day what the weather is going to do......how in the hell can they make these predictions.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Remind me again why so many people think that gun owners are wacko, please...

My stock in tinfoil companies is skyrocketing.

Remind me again, why there's more actual science-content discussion in this single gun-owner-wacko forum thread, than in all the (paid) speeches Al Gore ever made (during his excursions outside his TN mansion, with an electric bill higher than most Americans' mortgage payment)?

Perhaps I should change that to: "Remind me again, why so many people think Global Warming Advocates are self-serving hypocrites, please...my stock in phony clean energy ventures is skyrocketing."

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Remind me again why so many people think that gun owners are wacko, please...

My stock in tinfoil companies is skyrocketing.

INGO is all about the echo chamber. We have real estate agents calling themselves scientists. It is good for some laughs. I cruise by every so often to check up on the extreme fringe. You never know what is going to come out of their mouths.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    INGO is all about the echo chamber. We have real estate agents calling themselves scientists. It is good for some laughs. I cruise by every so often to check up on the extreme fringe. You never know what is going to come out of their mouths.

I am an HVAC tech/Fabricator/minor gunsmith/electrician/plumber/carpenter/jack of all trades and master of none but I ain't no scientist OK......:yesway:

Laugh on my friend.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    OK....riddle me this Batman....if all that fresh water hits the ocean what will that do to the salt content., Will it dilute it to the point it kills off the plankton which is the very base of the food chain.

Also.....these idiots can not tell us from day to day what the weather is going to do......how in the hell can they make these predictions.

The plankton will move away from water they do not like

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The plankton will move away from water they do not like

Watch Plankton...he wants to rule the world.

Plankton-from-spongebob.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I like to come and laugh at the elitists cruising by.

Top Bottom