The Czickness LII.2…..the sunshine and roses version.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Good morning all,

I'm considering picking up either an SP-01 Tactical or a Shadow 2 Blue Grip as my next CZ. Family Firearms has the SP-01 Tactical for $667.99 plus $19.99 shipping. Gunprime has the Shadow 2 Blue Grip for $899.99 plus $19.99 shipping. Just looking for range and possibly house gun at the moment. Is the Shadow 2 worth the extra $232?

Everyone online seems to love both! Looking for your real-world experience. :ingo:
    My understanding, from previous conversations is that getting the SP-01 Tactical and then adding whatever grips and sights you want plus the Cajun Gun Works parts ends up with a better gun overall. The Wizard, who hangs out in this thread, is an excellent gun smith for adding those parts. You might end up with a little more in the gun, but the gun will be better than the out of the box Shadow 2 hands down.
    WT and Mcapo make good points. Something else I’ve heard is that some people prefer the slightly different grip shape of one vs the other. I’m not at a level that it makes a big difference. Some people are. Handle them both at a LGS if you can see what you think.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    WT and Mcapo make good points. Something else I’ve heard is that some people prefer the slightly different grip shape of one vs the other. I’m not at a level that it makes a big difference. Some people are. Handle them both at a LGS if you can see what you think.

Another factor is the safety vs decocker. If you don't like the decocker (I prefer safety myself), the Shadow 2 may be the better option, along with other factors. It can also be made better by a trip to the Wizard, but you'll end up with more in it overall. Not to say that's a problem, just good to know going in.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Morning guys,
    Some of you CZ folks and some others have shown interest in another 1911 class/get together. I am all for it but have been trying to think of what to cover.
    Since it is impossible to cover all aspects of the various fitment and tuning that can go into a 1911 in one day.
    I have come up with an idea that I want to get some feedback on.

My thoughts were to do complete disassembly and comparison between a production built basic gun and a hand fit custom gun to show some of the differences. possibly even a third mid level gun.

I see regular posts about "why should I spend X amount over this cheap pistol" or similar something to that effect and I thought this might give some insight.

Also simultaneously letting everyone disassemble a 1911 that they brought with them and go over basic function and tuning.

What do you guys think? have anything to add or subtract from this rough outline?
    I'm in!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Good morning all,

I'm considering picking up either an SP-01 Tactical or a Shadow 2 Blue Grip as my next CZ. Family Firearms has the SP-01 Tactical for $667.99 plus $19.99 shipping. Gunprime has the Shadow 2 Blue Grip for $899.99 plus $19.99 shipping. Just looking for range and possibly house gun at the moment. Is the Shadow 2 worth the extra $232?

Everyone online seems to love both! Looking for your real-world experience. :ingo:
    Either would be a great gun, IMHO. I like the Shadow family for the lack of firing pin block and having a safety versus decocker. My Shadows are strictly range guns, though.

A lot of people love Tacticals as well, I've coonfingered some and they're amazing as well.:twocents:

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Good morning all,

A lot of great responses in here about this problem you are faced with, which is a great problem! I would suggest handling and shooting both varieties if you have access to see how they both feel. The Shadow 2 will seem more refined, but the SP-01 can easily be brought up to and exceed that of the Shadow 2 if you like the feel of it better, but you will need to have some CGW parts put in and I recommend the Wizard doing this since he adds extra care to it as well.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Good morning all,

All good points in the thread. If you’re not serious into competitions I would think the sp01 is best choice. Can add piece by piece to get it exactly what you want. My biggest gripe for the shadow 2 for a casual plinker has always been the nose heavy feeling.

There’s enough of us in the thread I think that would be more than happy to let you shoot examples and get what you want from that experience.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    All good points in the thread. If you’re not serious into competitions I would think the sp01 is best choice. Can add piece by piece to get it exactly what you want. My biggest gripe for the shadow 2 for a casual plinker has always been the nose heavy feeling.

There’s enough of us in the thread I think that would be more than happy to let you shoot examples and get what you want from that experience.
    I'm getting too fat, old, and slow for serious competition! :):

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I'm getting too fat, old, and slow for serious competition! :):
    I’ve been there for years! It really comes to preference. Is there a better factory gun out than shadow 2 for 900. Probably not. Is it worth the extra over sp01, most definitely. Does it work for your needs better than the sp01 to justify the increased price? That’s the unknown. It really is all out personal preference. There is nothing wrong with stock CZs or any amount of customization from a quick polish job to a full blown custom shop done by cgw or czc or the wizard or anyone else. If you have place to shoot I’d be happy to let you shoot some of my favorite stock CZs custom shop stuff shadows, completely cajunized by wizard shadow 2, totally cajunized sp01, tso, etc. I’m just up in shelbyville so not far. Would just need a little
    Time to raid my brothers safe for the ones that aren’t mine but can always shoot. Thst is my favorite way to have the expensive CZs lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom