88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

Has anybody used the CGW grease in winter? It says it is good down to -20 degrees but wanted to see if anybody has any real world experience. Having just moved back from south central coastal Florida, I could use whatever grease I wanted because I don't remember it getting below 50 hardly ever.

I use light slide glide from Brian Enos all year. I've never had an issue with it during the winter, but I do tend to be very sparing in its use. I have not tried the CGW grease though.

I've been thinking about that project gun based on a CZ 1911 again. I stopped by an LGS and a friend that works there can get me the gun for $750. That's a really good deal in my opinion given what it is, but I'm second guessing the whole idea right now. The plan for 2016 was mags, ammo and training. To date, the only mags I've bought are the ones that came in the box with the 3 new CZs bought this spring. The ammo locker is not looking bad, but it sure could look better. Training is another matter though. I have not spent a dime this year on actual training yet. I figure that I could probably finish that project for under $1200, but am thinking that I'm probably better off using that $1200 more effectively by getting back on plan.

Besides, it does not pass the basic test I told myself I'd apply to any sizable decision: Does it make my life more simple or more complex? I don't like complex.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I use light slide glide from Brian Enos all year. I've never had an issue with it during the winter, but I do tend to be very sparing in its use. I have not tried the CGW grease though.

I've been thinking about that project gun based on a CZ 1911 again. I stopped by an LGS and a friend that works there can get me the gun for $750. That's a really good deal in my opinion given what it is, but I'm second guessing the whole idea right now. The plan for 2016 was mags, ammo and training. To date, the only mags I've bought are the ones that came in the box with the 3 new CZs bought this spring. The ammo locker is not looking bad, but it sure could look better. Training is another matter though. I have not spent a dime this year on actual training yet. I figure that I could probably finish that project for under $1200, but am thinking that I'm probably better off using that $1200 more effectively by getting back on plan.

Besides, it does not pass the basic test I told myself I'd apply to any sizable decision: Does it make my life more simple or more complex? I don't like complex.

Finish up the projects you have on your plate. Stay the course on ammo/mags.
    Something will come along that catches your eye and if you are on course then snatch it and start the process over.

Or not.........................:):

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers

I did all my training at Tactical Defense Institute in Ohio.
    Just out past Cincinnati, about a 3 hour drive from Indy.
    The 3 day Level I-III hand gun class is awesome and will fit with in your budget.
    They also teach tactical shotgun, precision rife, emergency medical, knife, etc...
    Classes are $200/day, so the 3 day class would be $600 + ammo.
    There are local hotels or you can camp at the facility.
    It's a seriously cool place and you will get a lot out of it.

https://tdiohio.com/home_page/

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I did all my training at Tactical Defense Institute in Ohio.
    Just out past Cincinnati, about a 3 hour drive from Indy.
    The 3 day Level I-III hand gun class is awesome and will fit with in your budget.
    They also teach tactical shotgun, precision rife, emergency medical, knife, etc...
    Classes are $200/day, so the 3 day class would be $600 + ammo.
    There are local hotels or you can camp at the facility.
    It's a seriously cool place and you will get a lot out of it.

https://tdiohio.com/home_page/

Thanks, I'll check them out.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Depending how much you shoot, you'll need at least 1000 rounds.
    I would take 1500 to be safe.
    Also take lots of mags and a mag loader like an UpLula.

Looks like the classes are full for this year unless you can get on a standby list.
    There's a Tactical Rife I 3 day class in October which would be sweet.
    I've never done any rifle training... might have to take that one.
    1800 round minimum... ouch. better start reloading now :laugh:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Did another quick range trip with the P01 this morning. I really like that gun more and more, each time I shoot it. The only issue I have with it is that after doing the CGW mods, the decocker is a bit wonky. It sometimes over rotates and sticks, but when that happens, all I need to do is put a touch of back pressure on the hammer and it unsticks and drops normally. I checked with David at CGW and he assures me that the parts are not the issue and the gun runs beautifully regardless, so I'm not that worried about it. If I'm gentle, the decocker works just fine.

I did run some 147 grain Sig SD ammo through it this morning and it ran them quite well. Not surprised though.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Depending how much you shoot, you'll need at least 1000 rounds.
    I would take 1500 to be safe.
    Also take lots of mags and a mag loader like an UpLula.

Looks like the classes are full for this year unless you can get on a standby list.
    There's a Tactical Rife I 3 day class in October which would be sweet.
    I've never done any rifle training... might have to take that one.
    1800 round minimum... ouch. better start reloading now :laugh:

I saw that one. I need to keep an eye out for when the announce next years schedule. The handgun I-III looks like a winner. Their active shooter for LE/Civ also looks interesting.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    Did another quick range trip with the P01 this morning. I really like that gun more and more, each time I shoot it. The only issue I have with it is that after doing the CGW mods, the decocker is a bit wonky. It sometimes over rotates and sticks, but when that happens, all I need to do is put a touch of back pressure on the hammer and it unsticks and drops normally. I checked with David at CGW and he assures me that the parts are not the issue and the gun runs beautifully regardless, so I'm not that worried about it. If I'm gentle, the decocker works just fine.

I did run some 147 grain Sig SD ammo through it this morning and it ran them quite well. Not surprised though.

I am kind wondering if the decocker spring is not in its correct placement and causing your problem.

Losey

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom