• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Autumn Olive fruit is one of my favorite outdoor edibles. The berries are on the small side this year because of the heat and drought, but they are still delicious. They are just starting to get ripe here in southern Indiana. Since it is an invasive species, be sure and save the seeds to dispose of them so you do not plant more

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Autumn Olive fruit is one of my favorite outdoor edibles. The berries are on the small side this year because of the heat and drought, but they are still delicious. They are just starting to get ripe here in southern Indiana. Since it is an invasive species, be sure and save the seeds to dispose of them so you do not plant more
    Never tasted one. Hate the bushes. Can't kill them fast enough

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Pics?
    I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Are they sweet, or nasty like olives?
    Identifying Autumn Olive

Autumn olives have distinctive silver sprayed leaves distinguishable at high speeds cruising down highways. After you get officially introduced, there is no turning back—you’ll find them everywhere. Harvest autumn olives after the first hard killing frost. They appear in September and can linger on the shrubs through November. Birds wait patiently until they perfectly ripen; take a cue from them to find the best bushes. Taste each bush; each is different, with a range of berry colors and flavor. They can be eaten raw or cooked in sauces.
    1691277726643.png

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Autumn olive (Elaeagnus umbellata) is a deciduous shrub native to Asia that has spread as an invasive species throughout the United States. Introduced in 1830 as an ornamental plant that could provide habitat and food to wildlife, Autumn olive was widely planted by the Soil Conservation Service as erosion control near roads and on ridges.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Autumn olive was widely planted by the Soil Conservation Service as erosion control near roads and on ridges.
    So was the Mula flora rose - Conservation department gave plants to help wildlife fence lines and look what has happened - Same smart people interduced the Asian Bettle to help with cotton aphids and promised they couldn't stand the northern cold. we are spending millions fighting them.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If you cut them off but don't treat the stumps, you will get a LOT more.
    I have a loader on the tractor and root ball them. My problem is the neighbors property is over run with them so I volunteered to do some clearing for a killing field for his deer season.

I bet I have root balled over 1500 this week and mowed the little ones. I have declared war knowing the battle is never over...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    We use 50% glyphosate with good results.
    I use Crossbow with good results but the birds keep bringing me more. Spent a good part of 2022 in the hospital and the place was over run in just a year. I keep a lot of "edges" on my property for wildlife and in a year it will look like a wall. I also have the "tree of Hades (Heaven)" coming in from the same neighbor. Oh joy.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I don't know if I should paint a swastika or a hammer and sickle on my tractor but I have been fully engaged in genocide with these rascals. They are supposed to be a nitrogen fixer but so far they have been putting off greenhouse gasses when burned...

Top Bottom