• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    is usually a very small margin.

The Late, Great John Wooden was a Purdue Grad who coached the great UCLA teams of the 60's and 70's to 10 National collegiate championships. A display of college athletic dominance that had not been achieved before and has not been duplicated, since that time. I've always been intrigued in what the difference between winning and losing means. Is it basic talent, luck, skill, effort or some pre destination that allows some to achieve at a higher level, while success eludes others?

While some of the above mentioned advantages may create a platform for success, I believe in the ideology of Coach Wooden and how he achieved success. As legend would have it, Coach Wooden INSISTED on teaching his players how to put on their socks and selecting the proper size shoes for his players. A task as simple as putting on someone's socks, a task probably taught by their mother as toddlers and yet, here is the Legendary Coach Wooden teaching it to College aged young men. Wooden knew that if the players rolled their socks on correctly and wore shoes that fit, it would cut down on blisters, which would allow his players to achieve maximum efficiency.

The difference between good and great, winning and losing in every aspect of life comes down to something very simple,

Fundamentals.

It's how we do the small things correctly, attention to detail, making the mundane important.

I use this forward to say this, I visited Bradis for the first time today and I left having my basic consumer needs met. Their store was full, the parking lot was packed, there was a major flurry of activity, it would have been easy for the employees to be frustrated and unhelpful.

That was not the case. I found the store to be very diligent and efficiently laid out for smooth transactions.

Earlier in the day, I had called Bradis to check stock on a Glock 26, a pistol that I'd shopped for at a few stores in Lafayette, on a few occasions. I even found one locally, but made the mistake of thinking about the purchase while remaining in the store. I left the counter, the store got busy and no one made eye contact with me for the rest of my 30 minutes in the shop. I get it, the store got busy and I completely understand. Any good store would have customers get lost in the shuffle due to sheer volume, no harm. I'd run out of time and had to leave without my pistol. I still consider it a good store.

The difference is that when I called Bradis, the gal that took my call asked if she could set the 26 aside for me until I got there. I decided to make the hour long drive to see what all of the hype was about regarding this store. I show up and there is no place to park, so I choose the adjacent parking lot and park in front of the barber shop. I venture in, the place is busy, very busy. I go to the register and ask if my car will get towed because I'm in the wrong parking lot and I'm informed that it will be ok.

My glock 26 is waiting on me, I'd also brought my 19 because I want to try a new trigger in my pistols and Bradis has certified armorers that will do the work for the price of the parts. Seriously........just wow, that's awesome.

I fill out my paperwork, it's called in, I ask to have my pistols serviced and then something amazing happens in an extremely busy store. The paperwork changes hands, a really cool fella named Dave finishes his transaction and grabs my paperwork and pistols and informs me that he'll be back in a few, after installing my triggers.

No sighing, no body language suggesting that this is an unwanted task on a busy day, no getting lost in the crowd, I was effortlessly passed from one employee to another and it was seamless. As my paperwork goes with Dave, my initial contact ( a very nice gal, I didn't get her name, it was busy) moves on to the next customer and begins his paperwork for his Smith and Wesson revolver.

I wander the premises a bit to take it all in, I check out the Mosins, admire the displays and then return to the counter, where now a gentleman is purchasing a rifle and case. His transaction is being handled efficiently as a part of the systematic customer service I've witnessed with all of the customers on hand. Dave comes back, my pistols are ready, he hands them to me for function check, we chat a bit, he takes my money and wishes me well.

I don't write this to gain favor, rebuttal or to flatter. I write this to say that it was really nice to go into a gun shop and have a pleasant retail experience. In a time when shops are busy with customers, it would be easy to forget the fundamentals and expect that people will shop your store, no matter what, because of the built in demand that firearms are commanding during tax season of an election year.

It turns out that as of this afternoon, Bradis is still putting their socks on correctly.

Thanks for doing the small things right, I'll be sure to pass the word here in LayFlats.

sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Thanks for the kind words, glad you had a great first experience. We stress teamwork amongst ourselves, and I believe that shows.

Lisa, our Manager was the lady you talked to.

Hope to see you back again!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What a fantastic and well-written post!

This needs to be printed out and read to all the Bradis employees before they open the shop tomorrow!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Thanks so much! We really do try to treat every one of our customers the way we would like to be treated AS customers. We hope you'll come back and see us again soon!

:ingo:

jworm1420

Expert
    Feb 25, 2012
    i dnt thnk some shop owners realize how important it is to respect the customer. Alot of owners just seem to thnk people will buy from them no matter what. i have found that most like myself would rather go spend our money at a shop that will respect us as peopel n not just a dollar bill. and the fact that onwers who treat their customers wit respect are more likely to succeed is no coincedance. ive been to bradis multiple times and not once have i ever felt like just a dollar bill. even in the instances that i went, and didnt plan on purchasing anythng, they still treated me wit the utmost respect even though i had no intentions of buying. Hint to shop owners: its safe to to say that u can get and keep more customers by just doin the little things. not just treating u like another sale

Top Bottom