• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Driving through a school zone earlier today, I noticed a police car sitting back off the street possibly running radar. I wondered, had I been speeding and he hit the lights on me and I pulled into the school lot. Would/could he then arrest me for firearm on school property? Should one pull over further down the road out of the school zone?

Matt

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If you are in your vehicle you are not on school property. Do not get out of the car.

Only a tool would jack you up in that circumstance.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Roll your windows up, lock your doors, and wait for July 1st.

In all seriousness though, this happened to me and I just waited until after the school zone to pull over. I live a block from the school and just pulled over by my house. If the officer had inquired, I'd have no problem explaining my actions.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you're forced to pull over in a school zone - and are subsequently pinched for having a weapon (or 50)... that's a slam dunk entrapment case.

A LEO forcing you to commit a crime you otherwise wouldn't have isn't taken lightly by the courts.

It would suck until it's resolved, though...

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I have to drive through a school zone everyday. Usually a cop is around so I tread carefully through it for this reason.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The federal GFSZ law is, I believe, a 1000' radius around the school's property line, which will sweep up public thoroughfares in its area of affect, but that GFSZ is short circuited by state licensure. Without a license issued by the state in which the school resides, it's still a federal felony to just transport a firearm, any firearm, within 1000' of a school. Being pulled over in a GFSZ and found to have a firearm on your person sans LTCH would not be entrapment vis-a-vis the federal law, since you were likely travelling within a 1000' of the school anyway. Prolly would vis any state prosecution for gun in a school zone (as there is no such state law, just gun on school property) without a license, but you'd still get pinched for gun in public without a license unless it was legally secured a la range trip.

Top Bottom