• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    The gi did not give me super Jiu-Jitsu powers, nor did it magically boost my strength or endurance. And yes, I was choked with my own lapel within the first 10 minutes of class (not counting warm ups). It did however, seem to garner just a hint of respect from my classmates. There were several high-fives and a couple "hell yeahs!" when I showed up no longer in a tshirt and workout pants.

Next time you go to class, please let your instructor or one of the more experienced guys know you'd like to see this *****-ass bow and arrow choke you heard about, because there's no way YOU would tap to that.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I might also have just realized that I might do better when I let go and let things flow than when I try too hard to hold on to whatever I've got.

Maybe there's a metaphor in there that's bigger than BJJ too.

Someone smart... I think Rickson, but could be wrong, but someone had a pretty famous quote about that, about his favorite submission being the one that his opponent gives him.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am sick again and even weaker than usual. You guys are making me tired reading about this.

At this point, I believe that I am self-choking.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    So, I managed to simultaneously break my toe and get wicked mat rash on a knuckle of the same toe... I've learned the art of the "buddy tape" to get by. Apparently there is something called "live toes" and I've learned both what that means and why it's important at the same time.

In other news, I'm extraordinarily frustrated by my inability to do a forward roll. The typical pre-class warm-up consists of stretching, a few variations of jogging, then forward falls/rolls from one end of the mat to the other and then shrimps from one end to the other. I biff the rolls up horribly. They start off fine, but inevitably I lose momentum half way through and topple over sideways. I'm sure it's hilarious to watch, but it's frustrating and frankly a little embarrassing to look back and see he rest of the class lined up waiting for me to get out of the way. :(

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, I managed to simultaneously break my toe and get wicked mat rash on a knuckle of the same toe... I've learned the art of the "buddy tape" to get by. Apparently there is something called "live toes" and I've learned both what that means and why it's important at the same time.

In other news, I'm extraordinarily frustrated by my inability to do a forward roll. The typical pre-class warm-up consists of stretching, a few variations of jogging, then forward falls/rolls from one end of the mat to the other and then shrimps from one end to the other. I biff the rolls up horribly. They start off fine, but inevitably I lose momentum half way through and topple over sideways. I'm sure it's hilarious to watch, but it's frustrating and frankly a little embarrassing to look back and see he rest of the class lined up waiting for me to get out of the way. :(

Don't worry about them. Just yourself.
    You just need to work at it.
    It may take awhile, but I am confident you will work through it.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg

Everyone there was new at one time and had to learn what you are doing. Some things come easy to some and harder for others. At least you are there and putting forth the effort.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

It will take a while for you to gain flexibility in your spine, especially the neck, etc. to do that well ... if you can. Gotta be able to tuck your head enough or it's going to be a problem

There's also the factor that you are risking a lot more in terms of potential serious injury as compared to someone of a lesser stature. Some of my worst memories of school are from gymnastics in the 7th and being forced by people pushing me to do forward rolls. Today I've be rich from the lawsuit. Then it was tolerating the pain from the injuries.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Are you tucking your head to the side and rolling mostly over the shoulder? Do it very slowly first. Kneel. Lean forward slowly. Tuck your head to one side like you're going to curl all the way over until that shoulder is on the ground and slowly roll through. This is a good skill for later.

And yes, everyone there was new once.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Are you tucking your head to the side and rolling mostly over the shoulder? Do it very slowly first. Kneel. Lean forward slowly. Tuck your head to one side like you're going to curl all the way over until that shoulder is on the ground and slowly roll through. This is a good skill for later.

And yes, everyone there was new once.

That's not how Abu Hajaar does it!

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    Seeing this thread won my internet today.

Chezuki, it's badass that you are rolling. I think the gi will work out. maybe try and get the MIL to take the sleeves in a bit. I like it.

Jackson,
    This experience doesn't come from BJJ, but from other highly competitive and skill-based endeavors; Actively mentor someone for a few sessions. If you are at the point where your skill is farther along than someone else that regularly attends, partner up with that person. Coach them some. Try and get them to be where you are. That can be a massive plateau breaker. You will learn a lot. They will most likely have at least some skill or area where they are clearly better than you, and you will get to spend more time learning that because you aren't using all your brain to worry about the other stuff.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'll just drop this right here.

[video=youtube;SGpDVCkhtD4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGpDVCkhtD4[/video]

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

[video=youtube;SGpDVCkhtD4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGpDVCkhtD4[/video]

But he didn't call anyone a ****ing ******* or a ****ing ***** or challenge them to a duel.
    INGO has taught me that these are essential to be a great trainer.

He must not be very good...:rolleyes:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

When you want to know about breaking stuff and people, thick-necked goons who have broken a lot of stuff and people are generally good sources of information.

As an outsider, my opinion is that the key reason why BJJ "works better" is because the players are frequently working against an opponent who offers real resistance. The same is true with boxing and folk-style wrestling and muy thai. I think the gaps close when those who practice traditional martial arts do the same, but that's unusual in 2016.

Training like a savage to achieve actual results will generally produce a superior combatant than training to do things so they look right or exactly the same way someone else as been doing it for 300 years.

But then what do I know?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    When you want to know about breaking stuff and people, thick-necked goons who have broken a lot of stuff and people are generally good sources of information.

As an outsider, my opinion is that the key reason why BJJ "works better" is because the players are frequently working against an opponent who offers real resistance. The same is true with boxing and folk-style wrestling and muy thai. I think the gaps close when those who practice traditional martial arts do the same, but that's unusual in 2016.

Training like a savage to achieve actual results will generally produce a superior combatant than training to do things so they look right or exactly the same way someone else as been doing it for 300 years.

But then what do I know?

i agree. Completely. But did you really just call John Willink a goon? Crawfordsville, IN, Mr. Willink.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

But then what do I know?

As a person who is learning a more traditional martial art I agree completely! TaeKwonDo for example is much more about sport and competition then what I would consider practical use. That is not to say that there is not some practical application to some of the techniques but I would not want to convince anyone that it is something to learn for self defense.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

But then what do I know?

That is remarkably insightful. And here I didn't think you were going to contribute anything useful to this thread.:D

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Hey Jackson or Chezuki:

Where are you taking classes? I emailed a place in Avon about trying a few classes. They have morning sessions which would work well for me. How often do you go? What's the price? Are there other beginners so I don't look too foolish? If you want to PM details that's fine too.

Top Bottom