• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    I have a marlin model 1894 .357/38 its the pre remilin with the jm barrel stamp. the problem is it cycles .357 rounds fine but the 38 jams while coming out of the feed tube. I have had this happen before so I took it apart and polished the carrier to nearly a mirror finish but still don't want to cycle the 38's. i have tried with live rounds and dummy rounds too. does anyone know a fix for this other than not use 38 rounds of which I have a abundance of or is there a fix? Thanks GD

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Try polishing the extractor tip ( facing inside toward the cartridge rim not forward ), this can mis align cartridges if it doesn't correctly position itself over the case rim before entering the chamber. If double clutching helps during cycling the extractor may be your trouble. Here's some more info from the great folks on the Marlin owners forum.

Search Results - Marlin Firearms Forum

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Load your 38's to 1.51". If the carrier has developed a line on the lower side at the point where the lever cam contacts it, it may need to be built up. This can be accomplished with a piece of hacksaw blade inletted into the carrier and silver soldered in place.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Many times if you will watch the loading you will see the extractor hit the shell since te action can break back far enough to allow this.
    The 39A will even do this and the 336 as well.
    The round ejects and as your next round presents to load the action hasn't set the extractor back down and the round pinches.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    Thanks for you replies. I'm going to do some more looking on this soon. This gun doesn't seem to have been shot much by the looks of the action. Not much wear at all. I got this from a friend of mine and it was his fathers and after his passing he wanted me to have it but I'd like to see it in good working order.
    Thanks again GD

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    First thing is does it Just not like semi wad cutters or all 38 special ammo. Wad cutter and semi wad cutter just do not feed well in the marlin 38/357.

Second Is it letting in two or just one. If it is just letting one in then look at regular round nose 38's and give them a try.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    When I load the feed tube with 6 cartridges ( live or dummy 38's) and cycle the lever it loads the first round fine then when you cycle the second one the second cartridge binds on the end of the carrier as it rises more less like the second round misses the ride upstairs so to speak. Then the result is the first round isn't extracted and the second is bound on the forward end if the carrier. I hope that makes sense thanks GD

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    So it's basically allowing the second round to catch the fired round before the extractor can get rid of the first round.
    Have you taken the gun down to make sure something isn't missing?
    Basically the action shouldn't allow the second round to lift until the ejection has started the. You should have the action broke all the way open which then allows the next round to lift and the action to chamber it.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    Yes I have completely disassembled the action and the feed tube and have a exploded view diagram of this gun. It appears that all the parts are accounted for. It seems that the carrier isn't going low enough to receive the second round to lift it up into the chamber then the carrier lifts and the second round is bound/jammed on the end of the carrier so then the lever is locked in approximately 80% open position. If I take the screw out of the lever it frees up and I'm able to remove round #1 and cycle #2 but then the next round binds up again. Once again the .357's do fine
    I appreciate all this info and will look into it more
    Thanks GD

Top Bottom