The Farm Bill: Ensuring the Future of Agriculture?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

So are you for or against the farm bill?

They have good things inside them that help, and a lot of things that hinder.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    We are still actively arresting farmers for planting non GMO seeds, and arresting dairy farmers for selling un processed milk to those who have specific need for it. The same government is also working against the food sources that were provided by the creator for our best benefit. They are also funding and promoting laboratory designed and chemical plant produced food substitutes. All this is going on while hundreds of traditional food processing plants are mysteriously destroyed or otherwise taken out of service.

I don't trust any ideas congress has to "improve" the state of agriculture. They are using our tax money to position themselves to use starvation as a weapon against us.

? Do I think the Criminals in DC, both in office and in collar organizations will gladly control innocent citizens through food control, even if it causes death? Tell me why they can be trusted.

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    Haven’t read it but I’d love ti put my family farm ground in the old program where they pay you not to farm. Not because it makes more money but it lets the land recover some while not incurring total loss of income.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Haven’t read it but I’d love ti put my family farm ground in the old program where they pay you not to farm. Not because it makes more money but it lets the land recover some while not incurring total loss of income.
    I am not a farmer and and confess to not really knowing all the details. I had a co worker who always said there was no money in farming telling me the government was paying him to not raise about 1/2 of his normal output. I asked him if they would send me a check if I promised not to raise 5000 head of hogs in my subdivision. I thought that was funny, and the whole table laughed, but he saw no humor.

I do believe the biblical guidelines for letting the land rest every 7th year is probably a good idea, and sound science agrees.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I am not a farmer and and confess to not really knowing all the details. I had a co worker who always said there was no money in farming telling me the government was paying him to not raise about 1/2 of his normal output. I asked him if they would send me a check if I promised not to raise 5000 head of hogs in my subdivision. I thought that was funny, and the whole table laughed, but he saw no humor.
    We can always come up with arguments for why our subsidy is a good idea and why it should be continued.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    In 1973, President Nixon's Secretary of Agriculture, Earl Butz responded by calling upon American farmers to plant "fencerow to fencerow," and “get big or get out." That’s how mega farms were born.
    The farm bill has never and will never be about promoting or helping small family farms.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    We are still actively arresting farmers for planting non GMO seeds, and arresting dairy farmers for selling un processed milk to those who have specific need for it. The same government is also working against the food sources that were provided by the creator for our best benefit. They are also funding and promoting laboratory designed and chemical plant produced food substitutes. All this is going on while hundreds of traditional food processing plants are mysteriously destroyed or otherwise taken out of service.

I don't trust any ideas congress has to "improve" the state of agriculture. They are using our tax money to position themselves to use starvation as a weapon against us.

? Do I think the Criminals in DC, both in office and in collar organizations will gladly control innocent citizens through food control, even if it causes death? Tell me why they can be trusted.
    Who’s being arrested for planting non gmo seeds?

There are a few farmers who saved seed (the grain produced from the first seed - we’re talking soybeans here, as corn is hybrid and the cross produced doesn’t replant well) such as roundup ready and maybe Liberty to replant when the paperwork they signed (knowingly or not) strictly forbid saving seed. This was to insure the inventor got payback on their research investment.
    There was litigation against many of those farmers.

Don’t get me wrong, I dislike monsanto as much as the next guy, I feel like they lied to us concerning the safety/toxicity of roundup, and created the resistance mess we have now, due to greed.

Just want to know who’s saying people are being arrested for planting non gmo, as we have planted thousands of acres of non gmo over the years and get paid a premium for it.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    The farm bill has always and always will be about controlling the food supply. There’s no quicker way to incite a rebellion than to let your people get hungry. (We need to be hungry for freedom, but that sounds like a topic for one of those crazy gun sites.)

Anyway, the set aside program of the 70’s was just that, to allow us to produce the ‘right’ amount of food without flooding the market, as the ‘cure’ for low prices is low prices, and then there could be a shortage due to reaction of low demand if that was not controlled.

Unfortunately the ‘get paid for not planting’ mantra carries on even though that programs been dead for a long time, except for CRP which applies to marginal ground, not really broad acres. We’re not getting paid for not planting. We are getting subsidies on crop insurance by being in compliance with wetland and sodbuster/swampbuster rules, and will receive payments when there is a combination of a low production/low price year.

You can read an interesting story here

showing the intersection of federal regulation and state regulation.
    It feels very much like the AFT. As a matter of fact, there’s this thing we say about roundup and all the genetics and wanna be’s - you might get a different price, but it’s all the same vat, just a different spigot. ATF, epa, army corps of engineers, irs. The same den of thieves/despots/control freaks just a different spigot.

So it’s gone from what sounded like a good idea to 60’s 70’s bureaucrats to the bloated insane inane pocket lining monstrosity where the people from the ground up are “just doing their job”. BigRed knows the answer.

Many (myself included) fall victim to that logic as we justify that we have to participate in order to pay competitive cash rent.

All that being said, the farm bill is actually
    over 80% nutrition programs, 8% goes to the insurance mentioned above, 6% conservation and 5% commodity programs.

Probably more than you wanted to know…

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Who’s being arrested for planting non gmo seeds?

There are a few farmers who saved seed (the grain produced from the first seed - we’re talking soybeans here, as corn is hybrid and the cross produced doesn’t replant well) such as roundup ready and maybe Liberty to replant when the paperwork they signed (knowingly or not) strictly forbid saving seed. This was to insure the inventor got payback on their research investment.
    There was litigation against many of those farmers.

Don’t get me wrong, I dislike monsanto as much as the next guy, I feel like they lied to us concerning the safety/toxicity of roundup, and created the resistance mess we have now, due to greed.

Just want to know who’s saying people are being arrested for planting non gmo, as we have planted thousands of acres of non gmo over the years and get paid a premium for it.
    I am not a farm expert but one of them was high profile case in Indiana where the farmer was arrested and retaliated by taking Monsanto to court. It was all over the news, and the fodder for many discussions over coffee with my grumpy old men group, some of whom are in farm families. I can ask them Thursday. The Amish dairy farmers that were arrested were on the news also.
    I also know that congress changed the GMO labeling laws for food containers at the last minute before a congressional session ended for the holiday. They knew it was wrong and wanted to hide it from the citizens. Just another hidden move for monsanto types and against American citizens. All this kind of stuff, in addition to all the back stabbing the government does with rights, firearms, healthcare and taxes pretty much makes me mistrust anything they have their hands in.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The farm bill has always and always will be about controlling the food supply. There’s no quicker way to incite a rebellion than to let your people get hungry. (We need to be hungry for freedom, but that sounds like a topic for one of those crazy gun sites.)

Anyway, the set aside program of the 70’s was just that, to allow us to produce the ‘right’ amount of food without flooding the market, as the ‘cure’ for low prices is low prices, and then there could be a shortage due to reaction of low demand if that was not controlled.

Unfortunately the ‘get paid for not planting’ mantra carries on even though that programs been dead for a long time, except for CRP which applies to marginal ground, not really broad acres. We’re not getting paid for not planting. We are getting subsidies on crop insurance by being in compliance with wetland and sodbuster/swampbuster rules, and will receive payments when there is a combination of a low production/low price year.

It feels very much like the AFT. As a matter of fact, there’s this thing we say about roundup and all the genetics and wanna be’s - you might get a different price, but it’s all the same vat, just a different spigot. ATF, epa, army corps of engineers, irs. The same den of thieves/despots/control freaks just a different spigot.

So it’s gone from what sounded like a good idea to 60’s 70’s bureaucrats to the bloated insane inane pocket lining monstrosity where the people from the ground up are “just doing their job”. BigRed knows the answer.

Many (myself included) fall victim to that logic as we justify that we have to participate in order to pay competitive cash rent.

over 80% nutrition programs, 8% goes to the insurance mentioned above, 6% conservation and 5% commodity programs.

Thanks for your input, many details of every sector of business are only known and understood by people in that business. I did know that the food stamp program was under the Agriculture budget. Some of the programs make no sense. My grandkids live under a very comfortable home life, and money is no problem. They, and the whole school receive free food program meals, because once a certain percentage of people apply, the whole school eats free.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I am not a farm expert but one of them was high profile case in Indiana where the farmer was arrested and retaliated by taking Monsanto to court. It was all over the news, and the fodder for many discussions over coffee with my grumpy old men group, some of whom are in farm families. I can ask them Thursday. The Amish dairy farmers that were arrested were on the news also.
    I also know that congress changed the GMO labeling laws for food containers at the last minute before a congressional session ended for the holiday. They knew it was wrong and wanted to hide it from the citizens. Just another hidden move for monsanto types and against American citizens. All this kind of stuff, in addition to all the back stabbing the government does with rights, firearms, healthcare and taxes pretty much makes me mistrust anything they have their hands in.
    I think the detail mixed up is that GMO seed was saved and replanted. As opposed to non gmo.

The only Amish problems that I can find was with raw milk, actually called contraband in this article!

I’m in complete agreement with you about not trusting them. Anyone working for them is for a bigger government and more control no matter what they say. Of course there’s fingers pointing back at me for taking the subsidies. Maybe someday…

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Thanks for your input, many details of every sector of business are only known and understood by people in that business. I did know that the food stamp program was under the Agriculture budget. Some of the programs make no sense. My grandkids live under a very comfortable home life, and money is no problem. They, and the whole school receive free food program meals, because once a certain percentage of people apply, the whole school eats free.
    The school my wife teaches at now gives “free” breakfast to every kid. It may be triggered by the same thing, I was not aware of that.

Reactions: Leo

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Am I being too cynical in believing that there are going to be restriction for farms written in concerning "global climate change"?
    Haha no!
    Unless they’re just going to leave it with the epa. Already a federal offense to tamper with stupid exhaust stuff.
    I believe European farm and off road machinery is subject to annual emissions inspections.

Past the machinery, New Zealand is proposing taxing cattle growers for methane production. https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...tive/2023/new-zealand-cows-burps-methane-tax/

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

Thank you for taking the time to post all of that. More importantly, thank you for helping us all not starve!

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012

You've done a very good job at describing the farm bill. I'll just add that over the years investors, hedge funds, insurance companies, celebrities, and other mucky mucks have benefited from program payments funneling into their bank accounts.
    Personally, I feel the amount of program payments we receive doesn't justify the compliance hoops we have to jump through. I would really like to just farm and the government just leave me alone.

Top Bottom