• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Well, this really doesn't surprise me. The victors get to write the history books. Southerners have been demonized for the last 150 years. If the Confederate Battle Flag is a racist symbol, then so is the U.S. flag. The U.S. flag flew over the ships that participated in the African Slave trade, not the Confederate Naval Jack. The Klan and other such groups always have U.S. flags flying at their rallies. Should we ban the display of the U.S. flag because supremacist and racist groups display it? Should we ban the U.S. flag because the New Englanders engaged in the slave trade displayed it on their ships?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Well, this really doesn't surprise me. The victors get to write the history books. Southerners have been demonized for the last 150 years. If the Confederate Battle Flag is a racist symbol, then so is the U.S. flag. The U.S. flag flew over the ships that participated in the African Slave trade, not the Confederate Naval Jack. The Klan and other such groups always have U.S. flags flying at their rallies. Should we ban the display of the U.S. flag because supremacist and racist groups display it? Should we ban the U.S. flag because the New Englanders engaged in the slave trade displayed it on their ships?

Actually it was Portuguese, Spanish, and British flagged ships that transported slaves from Africa to the Colonies.

Maybe we should let the people that know history write history?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Well, this really doesn't surprise me. The victors get to write the history books.

This is correct. However, I feel that had Lincoln lived, the South may have been viewed differently.

Southerners have been demonized for the last 150 years.

And wrongly so. I was fortunate enough to live down there, met alot of great people, and got to hear a version of history which isnt told that often, and entirely makes more sense than the PC version.

I wont execuse slavery, but again THAT was thanks to Elitist who didnt want to pay Settlers for work that could be obtained for nothing.

If the Confederate Battle Flag is a racist symbol, then so is the U.S. flag.

Indeed, this is correct; However, I dont give much homage to such terms as 'racist' when there is such a massive double standard in America revolving around like-issues.

The U.S. flag flew over the ships that participated in the African Slave trade, not the Confederate Naval Jack. The Klan and other such groups always have U.S. flags flying at their rallies. Should we ban the display of the U.S. flag because supremacist and racist groups display it? Should we ban the U.S. flag because the New Englanders engaged in the slave trade displayed it on their ships?

It's classic demonizing tactics. If ANYTHING, we ought to fly louder and higher. The left has always sought to demonize traditionalism, we see the tactic's very clearly in Communist Russia.

Actually it was Portuguese, Spanish, and British flagged ships that transported slaves from Africa to the Colonies.

Maybe we should let the people that know history write history?

I think the gross er we have revolving around Slavery in the Americas is that while Europeans participated, they were not the only 'people' to have participated, but THE ONLY ONE to get the brand; Why liberals continue to peddle this slanted version of history is beyond me.

One could even say that if a Slave auction fell on a holiday which was not of European, the auction was held off, might make an interesting point in who actually ran the trade.

Anyhow, it's irrelevent to cry slavery, when slavery still exist; You wont hear those freaking liberals talking about that, because it would not be helpful to they're agenda of 'control control control'.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I think the gross er we have revolving around Slavery in the Americas is that while Europeans participated, they were not the only 'people' to have participated, but THE ONLY ONE to get the brand; Why liberals continue to peddle this slanted version of history is beyond me.

One could even say that if a Slave auction fell on a holiday which was not of European, the auction was held off, might make an interesting point in who actually ran the trade.

Anyhow, it's irrelevent to cry slavery, when slavery still exist; You wont hear those freaking liberals talking about that, because it would not be helpful to they're agenda of 'control control control'.

I agree. Many slaves were sold on the blocks in New England and transported to the South. I don't excuse anyone for the scourge.

I was simply responding to the statement that US flagged ships were sailing to and from Africa to procure slaves, when in truth and fact this was not the case.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You know, I was called the most racist person in my entire High School because I flew a confederate flag on the back of my truck to school one morning. Never in my life had an issue with black, brown, green, pink, blue, whatever people. Well, maybe green people cause they're usually zombies and I hate zombies. :):

Still, I was told that if it ever happened again I would be expelled because it's offensive. Later that day I found out that a couple black students complained about it. I told them and the superintendent that it had nothing to do with race, but freedom and rebellion. It had nothing to do with offensive things like race but that it had everything to do with what they were doing to me. Telling me I can't do something for fear of whatever. The fellow students understood and we became friends. The school didn't care.

They never do. They never will.

It's the school's way or the highway and they don't care if you pay their paycheck or not.

How are you going to argue with someone that plugs their ears and screams na na na boo boo?

People need to grow the bleep up and learn their history and leave the race issue behind because it's getting old. Want to hate someone? Hate those holding a gun to your head stealing your money.

FatGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    The U.S. Flag stands for exactly what it is. United States.
    Yes, which since 1861 has been a tyrannical central government runaway from its founding documents.
    And the Confederate flag stands for Confederacy, our original government type, until it was replaced by some strong central government advocates who turned it Federal.
    Articles of Confederation.

Exactly. The "U.S. Civil War" was not a civil war in the dictionary definition, being "a war between political factions or regions within the same country". The Southern States were not trying to take over the North, they simply wanted out and walked out via the provisions in the Constitution for a State to leave the Union if they choose. The US Civil War was a takeover of the South by tyrants in the North who would not let go of the tax revenue.

signut49

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Wherever I want
    Yes, which since 1861 has been a tyrannical central government runaway from its founding documents.

Exactly. The "U.S. Civil War" was not a civil war in the dictionary definition, being "a war between political factions or regions within the same country". The Southern States were not trying to take over the North, they simply wanted out and walked out via the provisions in the Constitution for a State to leave the Union if they choose. The US Civil War was a takeover of the South by tyrants in the North who would not let go of the tax revenue.

Another thought-provoking interpretation behind the cause(s) of the Civil War. :scratch:

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County

What citation are you using for a state to be able to legally leave the union? I'd like to see it. I'm a student in an American Politics class and I'd like to bring this up.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County

I see this as the same restriction being put on the First Amendment as yelling fire in a crowded building or bomb on a plane.

I however, do not see the confederate flag as a racist symbol. I live in Indiana though, not Texas. Things could mean something else in Texas. Just like every waitress in Tennessee called me "Hun". I didn't take offense because it means something different down there. If a waitress up here ever called me "Hun" my wife would probably give her an ear full for hitting on her man.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I agree. Many slaves were sold on the blocks in New England and transported to the South. I don't excuse anyone for the scourge.

I was simply responding to the statement that US flagged ships were sailing to and from Africa to procure slaves, when in truth and fact this was not the case.

The following link has information about the African Slave Trade. If I read it correctly, U.S. ships were involved in the slave trade before and after 1808.

The Slave Trade

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    What citation are you using for a state to be able to legally leave the union? I'd like to see it. I'm a student in an American Politics class and I'd like to bring this up.

There are none. Though, admittedly, secession was considered normal and acceptable right up to the point when a state tried it. The funny thing is that I don't really think any attempt at secession in any time period for any reason would have had a distinguishably different response from the government in Washington. With the possible exception of the first four or five presidents. But after the War of 1812, I'm not so sure. I've got nothing substantial on which to base this, just an opinion.

Secession generally requires a peaceful taking of leave. Some have argued that South Carolina's actions with regards to Ft. Sumter didn't measure up to that standard, which throws some doubt on the legitimacy of calling their actions legal as well. :dunno: It's almost worthless to discuss it here though.

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana

"when any government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the People to alter or abolish it."

not sure why this concept escapes most people.

if the law is not just, strike it down.
    if the government is not just, strike it down too.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North

What citation from what founding document are you using to force 50 states who disagree with each other to hang together and support a strong, bloated, abusive central government?

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Deepest, darkest, Indiana
    I generally fly the First National flag of the Confederacy (stars and bars) from my flag pole. No one in this stinking liberal neighborhood knows what it is. If I flew the battle flag I'd get a rock or worse through the window. My front truck plate is the Bonnie Blue. Once again, just thumbing my nose without risk of retaliation by by cowards who wouldn't take responsibility for their actions.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    What citation from what founding document are you using to force 50 states who disagree with each other to hang together and support a strong, bloated, abusive central government?

I understand your point, and agree. However, it appears he was asking a legitimate question in order to debate informed.

This is outrageous. I call it INTOLERANT. If I see the American flag as racist, will my school stop flying it? :rolleyes: People need to learn the history behind the flag. People need to understand that General Lee never even owned slaves. (There are those that may be quick to point out that this may not be a valid assertion---Lee DID inherit slaves upon a family member's death, but they were not transferred into his name.) Ignorance is a frustrating thing to deal with in my day-to-day dealings. It becomes INEXCUSABLE when it affects the freedoms afforded to us.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I generally fly the First National flag of the Confederacy (stars and bars) from my flag pole. No one in this stinking liberal neighborhood knows what it is. If I flew the battle flag I'd get a rock or worse through the window. My front truck plate is the Bonnie Blue. Once again, just thumbing my nose without risk of retaliation by by cowards who wouldn't take responsibility for their actions.

Can I ask what area of THE REGION you are from? :D I've wondered about the ignorance level in this area for awhile now.

Stars and Bars and the Bonnie Blue Flag...I applaud you.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    There are none. Though, admittedly, secession was considered normal and acceptable right up to the point when a state tried it. The funny thing is that I don't really think any attempt at secession in any time period for any reason would have had a distinguishably different response from the government in Washington. With the possible exception of the first four or five presidents. But after the War of 1812, I'm not so sure. I've got nothing substantial on which to base this, just an opinion.

Secession generally requires a peaceful taking of leave. Some have argued that South Carolina's actions with regards to Ft. Sumter didn't measure up to that standard, which throws some doubt on the legitimacy of calling their actions legal as well. :dunno: It's almost worthless to discuss it here though.

You raise a valid point. However, in regards to South Carolina, consider this. South Carolina made it clear that they were seceding. At that point, the ordered the Federal troops out of Ft. Sumter. The Federal garrison refused, and South Carolina took action. It was completely justified. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If someone is in your home and they ignore your order to leave, you're well within your right to force them to leave.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom