• Status
    Not open for further replies.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    only one way to find out. go buy one of those rights and go all mythbusters on it. Start with the 9v job, just to see if you can get the ring measurably warmer. Finish the experiment with a bunch of 24v jobs wired together to see if you can flash melt the ring.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    only one way to find out. go buy one of those rights and go all mythbusters on it. Start with the 9v job, just to see if you can get the ring measurably warmer. Finish the experiment with a bunch of 24v jobs wired together to see if you can flash melt the ring.

The test wouldn't be valid unless someone was wearing it at the time.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The test wouldn't be valid unless someone was wearing it at the time.

You could suitably replicate it with some putty.

It's been two days, and it's time for me to Denny this.

The fact remains that a 9V battery has too high of a source impedance to generate any measurable heat in a one inch piece of 14 gauge stainless steel. Plus, given the large ball ends, you should have a suitable connection.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    You could suitably replicate it with some putty.

It's been two days, and it's time for me to Denny this.

The fact remains that a 9V battery has too high of a source impedance to generate any measurable heat in a one inch piece of 14 gauge stainless steel. Plus, given the large ball ends, you should have a suitable connection.

It'll damn sure heat a dime in your pocket!

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Shocking the person was never part of the issue.
    The battery would heat up that piece of metal though, at least a little. The battery itself would probably heat up more than the metal due to its internal resistance. (Impedance is for AC, resistance is for DC, and this is DC.)
    This is so easy to test if you have a battery and a somewhat similar piece of metal. Thicker metal will heat up less, thinner metal will heat up more, so the test metal should be as similar as possible.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If you break off the small section of a paperclip, bend it to fit snugly in the + and - polls and hold it between your fingers you will not hold it more than a second or two.

Try it, I'll guarantee you can easily light a cigarette with it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Shocking the person was never part of the issue.
    The battery would heat up that piece of metal though, at least a little. The battery itself would probably heat up more than the metal due to its internal resistance. (Impedance is for AC, resistance is for DC, and this is DC.)
    This is so easy to test if you have a battery and a somewhat similar piece of metal. Thicker metal will heat up less, thinner metal will heat up more, so the test metal should be as similar as possible.

The concept of AC vs. DC start to blur at a certain point in EE.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    If you break off the small section of a paperclip, bend it to fit snugly in the + and - polls and hold it between your fingers you will not hold it more than a second or two.

Try it, I'll guarantee you can easily light a cigarette with it.

Right but try it with a quarter and the battery will heat up more than the quarter - neither getting real hot real fast. I don't have a nose ring handy but it would be in between somewhere. That one looks heavy enough to get warmish, maybe even hot if the person didn't wake up real fast.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Why lions eat their young...

medium_2019-11-23-91af655c1f.jpg

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Right but try it with a quarter and the battery will heat up more than the quarter - neither getting real hot real fast. I don't have a nose ring handy but it would be in between somewhere. That one looks heavy enough to get warmish, maybe even hot if the person didn't wake up real fast.

Silver and copper are close to the same conductivity (assuming the nose ring is silver) so surely someone can fashion a loop out of solid copper wire and give it a shot. Post nose pics when you're done :-D

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Silver and copper are close to the same conductivity (assuming the nose ring is silver) so surely someone can fashion a loop out of solid copper wire and give it a shot. Post nose pics when you're done :-D

Exactly, just be sure to use a little 9 volt battery and not jumper cables from your truck.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't know about the 9v battery.
    But I know what happens when you drop a wrench across the terminals of one cell of a submarine battery.

Trust me.
    You don't want to witness that.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Is that a little rough on wrenches? Do you mean the big drive batteries? What kind of batteries are they?

If you hollowed a cell out, you could fit an adult in it.
    There are hundreds of them.
    They fill up a space the size of a room. One of the larger rooms on the sub.
    I could go into a better description of what happened, but that would be too much derailment for the thread.
    Sometime in the next day or two, I'll try to put what happened in the military BS thread.

It's not really tough on the wrench at all.
    For a very brief moment, it acts like the filament of a light bulb, emitting a very white, very bright light.
    It briefly effects the entire sub's electrical system.
    You think the world just got quiet, then you are surrounded by light, and you think you are dead.
    Then a "POP!", and the world goes utterly pitch dark. Partially because of the extreme swing in the electrical, and partially because you are temporarily blinded, even though I was in the hatch looking away from it.

Almost forgot.
    The wrench turns to plasma. What they call an arcflash. If you are lucky, you are out of the radius of the blast.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom