4 Seasons
    color.jpg

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Glad you took the tour. Ohio's are the biggest we have.
    I've known people that get to the hatch, freak out and say they can't go down the ladder.

Yes, the ladder was steep, and a bit intimidating for an older guy. But I just took it slow, because my fear of heights was outweighed by my intense desire to see the biggest and best that we have -- one of only a dozen or so in service that deter our enemies and keep us safe. It was also important to me since my nephew is in command of such a formidable boat. We were treated like VIPs at the ceremony and on the tour. It was both humbling and awesome. I did not know that the Commander is not mentioned by name, but is called the same of the boat on arrival and departure. When he arrived, the announcement was "Nebraska arriving." OK. Very cool for me. But more than most want to know probably or care about.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes, the ladder was steep, and a bit intimidating for an older guy. But I just took it slow, because my fear of heights was outweighed by my intense desire to see the biggest and best that we have -- one of only a dozen or so in service that deter our enemies and keep us safe. It was also important to me since my nephew is in command of such a formidable boat. We were treated like VIPs at the ceremony and on the tour. It was both humbling and awesome. I did not know that the Commander is not mentioned by name, but is called the same of the boat on arrival and departure. When he arrived, the announcement was "Nebraska arriving." OK. Very cool for me. But more than most want to know probably or care about.

Yes, also higher commands also. Such as if your submarine is in SUBRON 6, and the commander of SUBRON 6 arrives, it is announced, "SUBRON 6... arriving".
    Department Heads can be addressed by the Department they are in. They don't get "announced" when they come on board. But if the Captain is talking to the Chief Engineer, he might say, "CHENG. Do you have that leak in the starboard condenser fixed yet?" CHENG is ChiefENGineer.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...if the Captain is talking to the Chief Engineer, he might say, "CHENG. Do you have that leak in the starboard condenser fixed yet?" CHENG is ChiefENGineer.

I thought they just called him "Scotty" and the answer to that question is, "Cap'n, ah kinna have her fixed in less than a week... but I'll have it done in an hour anyway."

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Copy that link, click on the icon above and to the right which looks like a film strip.
    Paste the link.
    Click okay

[video=youtube;uc74BXIU638]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc74BXIU638[/video]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom