• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    What? What does .22 have to do with 5.45?
    5.45 isnt going anywhere*** its the 7n6 russian penetrating round.

If the 7n6 is ,, lol banned what with the m855 penetrator is it not considered a penetrating round?

It will be like the 7n1 crates are floating around and.packs of 7n6 will be sold off for the next 30years like the 7n1

Last edited:

michaelw2608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    What? What does .22 have to do with 5.45?
    5.45 isnt going anywhere*** its the 7n6 russian penetrating round.

If the 7n6 is ,, lol banned what with the m855 penetrator is it not considered a penetrating round? Vs the 7n6?

I am sure the current state of US-Russian relations played a role in this.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just saw where the ATF has now banned all future import of 5.45x39 calling it "armor piercing"...

5.45x39 with a steel core...because someone made a handgun version. It was the cheap stuff that people liked, but the non-steel core is still legal.

...and M855A1.....maybe just a matter of time.

Last edited:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I am surprised, because of handguns like the Encore and Contender that all steel core/perpetrator type ammo has not been banned. I am not really sure what the reasoning is for this, honestly. If I know I am going to be hitting a hardened target, and know that I will be facing people that intend to do me harm while wearing body armor, I will simply employ weapons that, even if they will not penetrate the armor, will stop the persons ability to function when hit. Body armor, even the high end ceramic plates, do not make it impossible to stop a person in their tracks when hit. The energy from a bullet impact does still have to go somewhere, and it hurts like hell getting hit, even if it doesn't penetrate. If body armor is going to become a big concern, the 44 Mag will replace the .380 in my armory, and my EDC will probably end up a .460 S&W. If I cant poke a hole in it, I will settle for scrambling their insides.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am surprised, because of handguns like the Encore and Contender that all steel core/perpetrator type ammo has not been banned. I am not really sure what the reasoning is for this, honestly...

The reasoning appears to be a straight-forward application of the law. Not a good law, but there it is in black and white:

(B) The term "armor piercing ammunition" means–
    (i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
    (ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

18 USCS § 921

(a) It shall be unlawful–...

...(7) for any person to manufacture or import armor piercing ammunition, unless--
    (A) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the use of the United States, any department or agency of the United States, any State, or any department, agency, or political subdivision of a State;
    (B) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the purpose of exportation; or
    (C) the manufacture or importation of such ammunition is for the purpose of testing or experimentation and has been authorized by the Attorney General;
    (8) for any manufacturer or importer to sell or deliver armor piercing ammunition, unless such sale or delivery--
    (A) is for the use of the United States, any department or agency of the United States, any State, or any department, agency, or political subdivision of a State;
    (B) is for the purpose of exportation; or
    (C) is for the purpose of testing or experimentation and has been authorized by the Attorney General;...

18 USCS § 922

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I don't think M855 is considered armor piercing due to the ratio of steel/tungsten/beryllium/etc... to lead/copper (7 grain steel penetrator/62 grain component bullet). Wondering what the 7n stuff consisted of, ratio wise...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't think M855 is considered armor piercing due to the ratio of steel/tungsten/beryllium/etc... to lead/copper (7 grain steel penetrator/62 grain component bullet). Wondering what the 7n stuff consisted of, ratio wise...

M855 is specififcally listed by the ATF as non-armor piercing and the reason you listed my be right. I don't know the reasoning, just that it is deemed non-AP.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Man, I'm glad I just got a spam can of this shipped in last week, as well as decided to go with a 5.56 AK as a secondary backup in the event of this exact scenario happening.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    M855 is specififcally listed by the ATF as non-armor piercing and the reason you listed my be right. I don't know the reasoning, just that it is deemed non-AP.

The funny thing is 5.45 is WAY under the .22 cap they place on AP, so this is really interesting to say the least.

On a side note: Look around and see why the ATF decided to jump on this. JBI Armory is REALLY catching hell right now... Someone leaked...

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Believe the similar occurrence was in '94. The new production of a 7.62 pistol upper was introduced, therefore, in order to keep policy, ATF halted importation of the AP 7.62x39 surplus rd. I'm not sure if thats been lifted since though. I still need to do more research.

It has not been rescinded. Oly Arms wasn't the first manufacturer to come up with a pistol in 7.62x39, but it was the first major manufacturer to do so. As I recall, it was a small now-defunct company in Texas that first came up with a 7.62x39 pistol, whose name eludes me right now. Google confirms:

The Gun Zone: 7.62 X 39mm Steel Core Ammo Ban

How sick I am of the BATFE. If the balloon on 7.62x54R goes up, I am going to just lose it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    How sick I am of the BATFE. If the balloon on 7.62x54R goes up, I am going to just lose it.

If some goon tries to inquire about importing a 7.62x54R pistol, count on it... This administration and the current leadership of the BATFE was probably just WAITING on something like this to come along, Allah has tossed a peach into their laps...

For all the howling, however, the Red Army, Hornady, Golden Tiger, etc.. should still be available (and most of it isn't corrosive either)...

Top Bottom