• ...and so much more!
  • Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    @danimal , @indyblue , @BigErnNP

Guess who got VMWare audited last week? It was surprisingly easy enough to deal with.

I’ve been migrating from VMWare to Hyper-V over the past year. 50% of my VSphere cluster’s hardware got EOL’d by VMWare. There’s nothing wrong with the blades, they’re still more than capable, so I turned them into a Hyper-V Cluster. Problem solved.

I’m running both environments in tandem and as much as I’d like to go 100% Hyper-V, it’s nice to have a Support contract with VMWare; I have my mission critical IS servers run on VMWare, so if something breaks I can get at helping hand quickly.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Guess who got VMWare audited last week? It was surprisingly easy enough to deal with.

I’ve been migrating from VMWare to Hyper-V over the past year. 50% of my VSphere cluster’s hardware got EOL’d by VMWare. There’s nothing wrong with the blades, they’re still more than capable, so I turned them into a Hyper-V Cluster. Problem solved.

I’m running both environments in tandem and as much as I’d like to go 100% Hyper-V, it’s nice to have a Support contract with VMWare; I have my mission critical IS servers run on VMWare, so if something breaks I can get at helping hand quickly.
    This is one more reason why companies are selling their infrastructure and moving to cloud services like AWS. It's probably a bad move for many companies, but there are bandwagons to hop on, heading for the promised land.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This is one more reason why companies are selling their infrastructure and moving to cloud services like AWS. It's probably a bad move for many companies, but there are bandwagons to hop on, heading for the promised land.
    Everyone knows the Cloud solves all problems. The magic cloud fairies will take care of everything!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Everyone knows the Cloud solves all problems. The magic cloud fairies will take care of everything!
    Well, as we move our **** to the cloud it sure does make things...I won’t say easier or less complicated. There’s a whole new paradigm to learn, both in how to manage and execute. But it is way cheaper and enables things that are more difficult on-premise.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Well, as we move our **** to the cloud it sure does make things...I won’t say easier or less complicated. There’s a whole new paradigm to learn, both in how to manage and execute. But it is way cheaper and enables things that are more difficult on-premise.
    Spoken like an apps guy.

Is it really cheaper? Maybe for some smaller applications it can be. We looked at migrating our stuff to the cloud, and it was going to significantly increase our costs. Thankfully the CIO that had that bug up his behind got himself fired.

From a network/security standpoint, it is much more difficult to secure and monitor. We seldom think along the lines of easier anything.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

Heh, just finished up one of those.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Spoken like an apps guy.

Is it really cheaper? Maybe for some smaller applications it can be. We looked at migrating our stuff to the cloud, and it was going to significantly increase our costs. Thankfully the CIO that had that bug up his behind got himself fired.

From a network/security standpoint, it is much more difficult to secure and monitor. We seldom think along the lines of easier anything.
    Not that I embrace moving everything to the cloud, but that has not been our experience. It’s been a net benefit, but at the cost of exposing ourselves to the risks of being dependent on their infrastructure.

It would sure suck to be Parler’d. We’ve redesigned everything to work with their infrastructure. EKS, S3, code star, gateways. RedShift. Glacier. We’d be ****ed if we had some mind of political position Amazon didn’t like. It’s not like we could bring everything back on premises the next day.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

Isn't going from vmware to hyperv the wrong direction?

I hate hyper v. If I couldn't have vmware I'd want ovirt.

Fortunately, I'm a Linux admin in a very silo'd company so I don't have to care about that stuff anymore.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Fortunately, I'm a Linux admin in a very silo'd company so I don't have to care about that stuff anymore.
    When a corporation has an EA with Microsoft, they make it hard to not use their products. I know we use both. Our Windows servers and some specialty Linux servers are Hyper-V. Our Oracle Linux servers are all VMWare.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County

VMWare is pleasently simple to deal with, I've never had a problem with them.

MS audits on the other hand, what a joke. They try to come up with the dumbest excuses to try and charge you for stuff. "You only have 500 user CALs, but have 600 users in your Active Directory"... "um, over 100 of those user accounts are disabled AND haven't been logged in for over 6 months"... "DOESN'T MATTER GIVE US MONEY!"... told them to **** off and if they harass me ever again we'll switch over to Google Suite (we have 365 grumble grumble). That's why I'm not doing any more MS upgrades for in house products except for end user workstations. Next server upgrades (2012 systems are about EOL anyway) are getting changed to Linux and OSS solutions. I'm tired of their crap, they parachute in every other year and we have to stop what we're doing and deal with their BS.

libvirt (and tools) is excellent as a stand in for ESXi on a smaller scale (or budget)... but vCenter is where I think VMWare brings all the value to the setup.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    The cloud... you mean someone else's computer? ;) Definitely not cheaper for us. Same for those glorious hosted voip phone systems. Hyper-v here also, just finished pulling all the Linux vm's off it and on to a linux host yesterday, due to a weird host boot issue a couple weeks ago surrounding linux vms. Now just have to resort the DR plan.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The cloud... you mean someone else's computer? ;) Definitely not cheaper for us. Same for those glorious hosted voip phone systems. Hyper-v here also, just finished pulling all the Linux vm's off it and on to a linux host yesterday, due to a weird host boot issue a couple weeks ago surrounding linux vms. Now just have to resort the DR plan.

Yep, most of the security conferences and such I've gone to in the last few years have all had the recurring theme "remember, cloud means your data on someone else's computer". I wish more companies would understand that.

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    Hyper-V has come a long way since its inception. I'd say it's in a very good spot right now with Windows Server 2019. We're not a power user by any means and, as Public Education, we get such great pricing on Microsoft all the way around, so who am I to argue?

I wish I could specialize in a role, but my career has been on a trajectory of SysAdmin for over a decade. I really love SCCM SCEM and integrated it into the past 4 organizations I've been in (one was a satellite of campus of one of the State colleges). It's made my life so much easier and I've spent a lot of time in that console.

With my geographical location, I pretty much have to look to Chicago to snag a role like that. I worked in Chicago for a year, commuting back and forth, and never again. The money was great, but money's not everything.

VMWare is pleasently simple to deal with, I've never had a problem with them.
    My experience with VMWare Support is also very positive.

MS audits on the other hand, what a joke. They try to come up with the dumbest excuses to try and charge you for stuff. "You only have 500 user CALs, but have 600 users in your Active Directory"... "um, over 100 of those user accounts are disabled AND haven't been logged in for over 6 months"... "DOESN'T MATTER GIVE US MONEY!"... told them to **** off and if they harass me ever again we'll switch over to Google Suite (we have 365 grumble grumble). That's why I'm not doing any more MS upgrades for in house products except for end user workstations. Next server upgrades (2012 systems are about EOL anyway) are getting changed to Linux and OSS solutions. I'm tired of their crap, they parachute in every other year and we have to stop what we're doing and deal with their BS.
    I've made my living off of Microsoft, so I don't complain... much. Most of my career has been in the public sector and Microsoft has always done me right.

Shoot, in my current organization, I'm managing over 30 Windows servers, nearly 1,000 Windows workstations, Microsoft SQL Servers, SCCM SCEM, Azure, InTune Endpoint Manager, and Office365. And that's just the Microsoft stuff!

I'm the only Tier 3 and only SysAdmin for an organization of nearly 8,000 users. I stay busy, to say the least. :(

Yep, most of the security conferences and such I've gone to in the last few years have all had the recurring theme "remember, cloud means your data on someone else's computer". I wish more companies would understand that.
    The biggest positive of the cloud, though, is that I can blame someone else when it hits the fan. Haha!

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I don't see how it is possible for the cloud to be cheaper than rolling your own unless you are very small and don't have the in-house expertise to run it. The cloud needs the same hardware, datacenter environment, same power needs, etc. that you would own. Plus you pay for their profit margin.

Owning your own equipment you get to write off capital expenses, depreciation, etc and if you ever need to move your datacenter you already have your data on your physical systems. How the hell do you get a .5-1 petabytes out of the cloud once it's there? That's a loooong download.

I am on a team of 6 that manages 1700+ Linux systems on vmware 6.5 & 7 (no Windows at all - yay).

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Hyper-V has come a long way since its inception. I'd say it's in a very good spot right now with Windows Server 2019. We're not a power user by any means and, as Public Education, we get such great pricing on Microsoft all the way around, so who am I to argue?

I wish I could specialize in a role, but my career has been on a trajectory of SysAdmin for over a decade. I really love SCCM SCEM and integrated it into the past 4 organizations I've been in (one was a satellite of campus of one of the State colleges). It's made my life so much easier and I've spent a lot of time in that console.

With my geographical location, I pretty much have to look to Chicago to snag a role like that. I worked in Chicago for a year, commuting back and forth, and never again. The money was great, but money's not everything.

My experience with VMWare Support is also very positive.

I've made my living off of Microsoft, so I don't complain... much. Most of my career has been in the public sector and Microsoft has always done me right.

Shoot, in my current organization, I'm managing over 30 Windows servers, nearly 1,000 Windows workstations, Microsoft SQL Servers, SCCM SCEM, Azure, InTune Endpoint Manager, and Office365. And that's just the Microsoft stuff!

I'm the only Tier 3 and only SysAdmin for an organization of nearly 8,000 users. I stay busy, to say the least. :(

The biggest positive of the cloud, though, is that I can blame someone else when it hits the fan. Haha!

I've just recently been thrown into SCCM SCEM deep end of the pool & could use some "best places to learn it" info. YouTube maybe?

Top Bottom