• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Looking into getting a revolver. As a prepper I like to go with common guns.

Glocks have been around for a long time, so I like them for their simplicity and because there are so many outthere that finding extra parts shouldn't be much of a problem.

So!
    What are some revolvers that have been on the market for a very long time and are very common?

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    S&W Model 10, or Ruger Security Six. Both built like tanks, stone cold reliable, parts are plentiful. The security six can be had in 357, the M10 will handle more 158gr LSWCHP (FBI load) than you can to shoot. The Ruger is starting to gain an almost cult following as a lightweight GP100 so the S&W will likely be easier to get your hands on.

YHJ

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Jake, I love revolvers and am very fond of S&Ws. The model66 in .357 would  be a good choice as it can shoot .38s as well. I'd buy good-used over new. S&W has had quality problems lately, and they've changed manufacturing techniques.  A 15-20 year old gun in good shape should outlast you.Another choice might be a Ruger Blackhawk in .357.....some were made with a spare cylinder that fired 9mm.  They're rare these days but they're out there. Good luck!

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Glocks have been around for a long time

Still laughing about that one. Yes I get it that their proliferation makes them popular for the reasons you state, just makes me feel old to hear that Glocks have been around a long time! I was already down the road in adult life when they arrived on scene.

As for the revolver question if you really are thinking of spare parts I would say the nod goes to the S&W Mod-10 and it's brothers or the M-66 because of sheer numbers.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    All good points Iroquois. I was thinking with price in mind first. If the goal is a revolver to last my lifetime and never let me down, I would go with a Blackhawk or a N frame Smith. Plenty of caliber options, rock solid, dependable, accurate. The only deciding factor being your comfort level with single action in the Blackhawk. Would not be a problem for me, but some would want the double action option.

Yea, N frame or BH for me.

YHJ

raptorracer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Cant go wrong with Rugar. Been around for a long time and many options. Personal favorites from them are sp101, gp100, blackhawk, redhawk
    when someone discusses reliability of a glock. I think of only one thing. The revolver reliability- They have been around for years and years. I can never remember a failure to feed. Lol. I can never remember a failure to eject. lol
    Very simple to clean and keep in good care.

Yes s&w is the king. But sometimes there are other options for shooter who love to shoot and can't afford the smith. Killed many deer with a rugar in my years of hunting. Stay safe and have fun

dwain

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Along the Wabash
    I would have to go with one of the Ruger Six Series. Security Six, Service Six, or Speed Six. They are built like like a tank, and like most revolvers, go bang every time you pull the trigger.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ruger, S&W, Taurus, all ubiquitous and reliable. Colts can be tough to get parts for these days and as they become more collectible they become more pricey. Dan Wesson makes a good revolver, with the added benefit of easy to change barrels, but never really caught on in the mass market. Likely because of the oddball cylinder release.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    All good points Iroquois. I was thinking with price in mind first. If the goal is a revolver to last my lifetime and never let me down, I would go with a Blackhawk or a N frame Smith. Plenty of caliber options, rock solid, dependable, accurate. The only deciding factor being your comfort level with single action in the Blackhawk. Would not be a problem for me, but some would want the double action option.

Yea, N frame or BH for me.

YHJ

After only 30 years they are clearly still untested.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Ruger Security (or Speed Six) in stainless is my first choice because they are strong and you can field strip them! Try that with a S&W or Colt!
    In the 70s and 80s the S&W 66 (K frame) would shoot loose after a steady diet of hot magnums, the Ruger Six was much stronger. Then Smith came out with the stronger L frame (686), which would be my second choice.

357 mag and stainless steel of course. 3 or 4 inch.

DO NOT get a Ruger LCP...mine was junk, and even after I sent it back to the factory.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I would have to go with one of the Ruger Six Series. Security Six, Service Six, or Speed Six. They are built like like a tank, and like most revolvers, go bang every time you pull the trigger.

The Ruger revolvers mentioned above are reliable, easy to clean and simple to disassemble. They feel like they are much beefier than needed which is a good thing for long-term use. The GP100 looks like a fine successor but I don't have any personal experience with it.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    All machines will fail at some point. If one is good, get two. Seriously. If you're a prepper who wants to go with common guns as you say, what's more common than having two of something? Get two S&W 686+ revolvers, or two Glock 19s. You'll have two firearms that use the same components, holsters, accessories, and the same ammo. Plus, you can use the 2nd firearm to arm a friend if necessary.

As a prepper I like to go with common guns.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    ... and because there are so many outthere that finding extra parts shouldn't be much of a problem.

Your prep involves wandering the SHTF wasteland with your broken gun in hand, looking for a stash of Glock trigger springs? Or maybe you'll just pick entire guns up off the ground because everyone else just left them laying there.

Maybe a barter experience like:
    You: "Pardon me fellow traveler, but I wonder if you've come across any extra components for a Glock 19?"
    Him: "Like the one in your holster that apparently is broken?"
    You: "Uh... yeah.. hey..."
    Him: < Pulls out double barrel shotgun, fires two blasts into the air (remembering the lessons of Joe Biden), and you poof into a red mist and sparks. />

Just get two ;-)

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Jake. I would love an N frame M27. I have thought seriously about the 8 shot model because of the added rounds. I think the large frame .357 would be a lot to haul compared to the K frame, but the extra rounds would make up for the burden. My only concern with that is the 8 shot's newness , I wonder about durability.
    As far as the Glock goes , they have proven durability. I wouldn't worry about finding parts, and if I did I'd buy them now….

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Smith model 10 for the win. Go with the heavy barrel, though the pencil barrel will do fine. There were millions made, literally, more made than Glocks, yet, you never see one break, never see threads online about "Why does my Smith 10 not work?", and rarely see one on sale, which attests to it's popularity (people just don't want to give 'em up!). Whatever you get, make sure you get a hammer/sear fitting jig and spare springs (in case you pick up a 10 off a bad dude and want it for parts).

If things ever did go that bad, I wouldn't really care for a full .357 revolver as I would likely use a rifle/shotgun for easier kills on larger game. .38 can do deer, but reserve it for two legged varmints or small game. Having done it before, .38 wadcutters, loaded mild, for rabbit is the most fun in the world, easy to shoot and cheap to load/make, plus, if you are jumped while hunting, you have a viable defense arm and hunting pistol in one gun, rather than a .22LR. And if you have grease, a .38 mold, blackpowder and some primers, you can make viable .38 Special for a long time.

The problem with the 19/66 series is beginning to show: The barrels are almost non-existent and they are mediocre .357 guns due to the stresses it can put on the weak barrels.

The Blackhawk series is great, but slow loading makes it iffy. The .357/9mm ones will guarantee that you will have diverse ammo choices, but with everyone seemingly carrying autoloaders, I wouldn't want a single action until the droves of suckers finally kill each other off.

The Ruger-Six series is okay, but they don't make too many parts anymore (other than stocks and sights) and the ones that people want to sell are overpriced or beat to crap. The GP100 series would be a good choice, a VERY close second in my mind to the Smith 10.

Top Bottom