• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    doctors and firemen get the hugs and kisses. Police get the finger and assasinated (by some, there are plenty that are thankful too). We have a skewed way of appreciating things in this country.

to be fair, plenty of docs have been shot in the line of work. Nowhere near the number of police, but it's not all scrotal hugs. I get called bad names and yelled at weekly. but, it's a fun job and those bad episodes are fortunately the outliers.

Doctor shot in front of patients during armed robbery in...

Doctor killed at Boston hospital; shooter dead - CNN.com

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1504729/gunman-opens-fire-in-berlin-hospital-and-kill-doctor/

Dr. Elbert Goodier shot dead while treating patient: JPSO | NOLA.com

10 Chilling Times When Patients Killed Their Doctors - Listverse

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Ok. The title of this thread is "The highs and lows....." We've heard the lows. How about some of the highs?

I think we heard about both.
    The high was that he got a hug, the low was that the lady touched him right after touching her husband's genitals. :dunno:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'll bet every night is a new adventure....
    I'm curious, my Wife works in the Nursing Home-Assisted Living field. Some of the Residents get screwy with the full moon.....Does that make any difference in the ER???

My wife was a RN at the local hospital. Said said full moons and Notre Dame home games were always nuts or at least really interesting.

A buddy of mine's dad was a quadriplegic. He passed away several years back, but he said he could tell a full moon by the way he hurt. Said he could not explain it. But he could feel it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I think we heard about both.
    The high was that he got a hug, the low was that the lady touched him right after touching her husband's genitals. :dunno:

Yep, nailed it :cheers:

the highs are many. The notables are usually cardiac arrests that we get back, especially when you use something most people don't, like dual sequential defibrillation (two sets of shock machines) and they do great after being dead when they showed up.

another notable was seeing a lady who thought she was losing her mind. Tremors, agitation, can't sleep. Heart rate of 170. Turned out she was extremely hyperthyroid. An hour after we started meds she felt much more normal and was crying because she felt so much better.

it really is a great career. I get about 10 seconds to establish rapport with people and earn their trust before we get into why they are there. I use humor and smiles.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I grew up with a man who is a male nurse in an inner city ER. He is also a seriously accomplished in martial arts. He works only Friday and Saturday nights and makes a weeks pay. He says it is a rare night that he does not have to dominate someone, mostly drug related. I have been in the ER several with heart problems and have heard a lot of vulgar shouting and commotion going on in other rooms, so I am sure it goes on most places. Thanks for the good work doc.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    And of course you're a quack because you don't rx that med that begins with a d... di- dil- dil something... :orly:

to be fair, plenty of docs have been shot in the line of work. Nowhere near the number of police, but it's not all scrotal hugs. I get called bad names and yelled at weekly. but, it's a fun job and those bad episodes are fortunately the outliers.

Doctor shot in front of patients during armed robbery in...

Doctor killed at Boston hospital; shooter dead - CNN.com

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1504729/gunman-opens-fire-in-berlin-hospital-and-kill-doctor/

Dr. Elbert Goodier shot dead while treating patient: JPSO | NOLA.com

10 Chilling Times When Patients Killed Their Doctors - Listverse

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I grew up with a man who is a male nurse in an inner city ER. He is also a seriously accomplished in martial arts. He works only Friday and Saturday nights and makes a weeks pay. He says it is a rare night that he does not have to dominate someone, mostly drug related. I have been in the ER several with heart problems and have heard a lot of vulgar shouting and commotion going on in other rooms, so I am sure it goes on most places. Thanks for the good work doc.

I would not go hands on in the ER, security is right there and they love to put hands on people, let them worry about complaints or getting hit. On the way to the hospital can be a different story, pressure points leave no bruising and can gain compliance quickly to avoid further issues.

Top Bottom