The house is almost finished! (September hail storm)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    It's been a long winter, but our house is almost finished. We got hit by a nasty storm in September that riddled our house. It looked as though someone took a shotgun to my roof, siding and windows. It also totaled our camper.

As much as I hated to, we took the money from the camper and put it back into the house. We managed to replace all the windows, new siding, roof, gutters, facia, re-insulated the walls and attic and replaced the cheap underlayment with osb and tyvek. All we have left is the entry door into the shop and start the landscaping.

It's been a headache at times, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Before:

picture-3_zps66f68a6f.jpg

picture-2_zps36959053.jpg

picture-1_zps9bc9efe2.jpg

After:

IMAG0201_BURST011_zps402db3e4.jpg

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Glad to see it's almost done and insurance was able to help out.

I have Nationwide and they refused to pay out a claim for our house, even though almost every house in the area had theirs replaced and having 3 contractors all stating hail damage. They had a roofing engineer (paid by them) come out a do a detail report that was so full of hogwash it was ridiculous.

We had extensive damage to the roof, and even damage to the skylights that creeped up after they denied us.

Come to find out while we was getting the roof, skylights and guttering replaced out of our pocket last week, we had about 4 or 5 neighbors stop buy and ask us about our contractors. After a little bit of talking, we found out that we was all insured by Nationwide.

We are now banding together and going over documents and considering a class action because we have found 2 more neighbors that are also Nationwide that was denied. Looks like they just denied everyone they insured in our area.:xmad:

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Glad to see it's almost done and insurance was able to help out.

I have Nationwide and they refused to pay out a claim for our house, even though almost every house in the area had theirs replaced and having 3 contractors all stating hail damage. They had a roofing engineer (paid by them) come out a do a detail report that was so full of hogwash it was ridiculous.

We had extensive damage to the roof, and even damage to the skylights that creeped up after they denied us.

Come to find out while we was getting the roof, skylights and guttering replaced out of our pocket last week, we had about 4 or 5 neighbors stop buy and ask us about our contractors. After a little bit of talking, we found out that we was all insured by Nationwide.

We are now banding together and going over documents and considering a class action because we have found 2 more neighbors that are also Nationwide that was denied. Looks like they just denied everyone they insured in our area.:xmad:

Sorry to hear about that Beerman, we have Illinois farmers insurance and they've been great on both storm claims we had. We've been with them for about 15 years now and overall I'm happy. The last one was 6 years ago, that is when we went with the blue siding it also lifted my garage off the foundation. Both times they were excellent to deal with.

Good luck, hopefully nationwide will reimburse you for your out of pocket expenses when they hear about the upcoming lawsuit
    I liked the previous color better, but then, not my house. What did you replace that vinyl siding with? Vinyl again, or aluminum or cemetitious fiberboard this time?

My wife says the same thing, she loved the past color. The color was called lakeside blue (can't remember the manufacturer). We were going to go with the same color but it was obsolete.

We just went with vinyl again, just upgraded from a .042 to .046. We are planning on building soon on some land we bought years ago so we decided not to spend more than we could get back when we sell. And with going with a one color siding over a cedar siding, we saved $80 a square that helped offset the cost of the windows, insulation and gutters.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    New hail damage is easy to spot, I paid hail claims for 10 years when I was younger. I did have cases where one house had very little damage and the one next door had a lot.

Your situation sounds a little shady though.

At a minimum you should have damage to the soft items like your turtle vents, gutters, AC fins, landscaping lights and window trim. Those items dent so easily if you had hail bad enough to damage a roof those items will be trashed.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    New hail damage is easy to spot, I paid hail claims for 10 years when I was younger. I did have cases where one house had very little damage and the one next door had a lot.

Your situation sounds a little shady though.

At a minimum you should have damage to the soft items like your turtle vents, gutters, AC fins, landscaping lights and window trim. Those items dent so easily if you had hail bad enough to damage a roof those items will be trashed.

Hail came almost straight down, I was home @ the time, my old gutters was heavy duty and withstood hammer beatings. Previous owner had them installed that way because of heavy gutter icing on the north side of the house.

No damage to window trim because of coming almost straight down, but I also have fairly deep overhangs thanks to my house being a custom home built by the first owner. On my outside coil for the AC, I have a housing around it, and what angle there was on the hail, was prevented from hitting it because it is on the south east side of the house, and hail came from the northwest. I even had one contractor outline the hail damage on 1 square of the roof and they totally ignored it.

Insurance is one of the biggest rip offs that there is.

Top Bottom