• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Moderation, my friend. You can have biscuits and gravy, just don’t have ALL the biscuits and gravy.
    Pretty sure that eating ALL the biscuits and gravy is a rule carved in stone. You just have to do it. For me, it is all or none. So I need to opt for none. Same is true with Corned Beef Hash. Leftovers are forbidden.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Really been screwed up at my home lately.

Our part time 2.5 year old foster son has been with us for 3 straight weeks, and sick. In and out of the doctor's office. We love him but it also messes up my routine, my eating healthy and the stress around the house.

Because he is & has been sick, my wife is sleeping in another room with him so I get sleep, but she is over-tired. We switch off caring for him. My morning workout routine is in shambles. Sometimes I close my rings by running up the stairs with medicine, supplement, or a sippy cup of juice, but rarely have I gotten in my full serious workouts. Been bouncing between 180/183# while he has been back with us, up from the 178/179# range.

Changed that this morning. Closed my exercise ring before 7am. With real exercise. Screwed up and did a video cardio workout before getting on the rowing machine, I was so winded that I cut the rowing short by a few minutes, took a little recovery time and then finished on the treadmill with a fast-walk pace of 3.5mph.

Determined to make progress.

Not making excuses but it is really easy to understand how we all slack off, lose track, and get sidelined by 'life' while trying to get into shape so that we can actually get healthy enough to live longer.

I had a 177# goal set to hit by Christmas. That is still doable, but I don't think it is good enough. Thinking I need to drop lower. Maybe closer to 170#.

BMI is right about 24.8 now, which puts me at the very top edge of healthy weight but a BMI of 25 is "over weight" so there is a razor thin line between where I am and what is over weight.

Using a new goal of 170#, it puts me over weight on the Robinson and Miller charts, but within the healthy weight range on the Hamwi and Devine scales and closer to the mid-range of the BMI scale. 12# loss from now to Christmas might be too aggressive, given the holiday seasons, so I'm going to say 170# Jan 24 (my wife's birthday).

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 2.00.14 PM.png

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Ever have one of those days where you are super stressed and you say screw it and just eat everything in sight? Yeah, well that was yesterday for me. Let’s just say that I ate 3/4 of a large bbq pizza by myself to start and it went downhill from there. Felt so guilty as I sat in a food coma. Didn’t even step on the scale this morning. Gonna have to work extra hard the next couple days to make it up.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Ever have one of those days where you are super stressed and you say screw it and just eat everything in sight? Yeah, well that was yesterday for me. Let’s just say that I ate 3/4 of a large bbq pizza by myself to start and it went downhill from there. Felt so guilty as I sat in a food coma. Didn’t even step on the scale this morning. Gonna have to work extra hard the next couple days to make it up.
    Been there, done that. Honestly, it put me a few pounds up the next day, but those came off pretty quickly. A little indulgence once in awhile won’t hurt us, well, maybe if it’s spicy Mexican food :flamethrower:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    We have setbacks. But we continue to push forward. As long as we continue to make some progress it all works out. Just do good tomorrow.

I just ate a mini cupcake :wallbash:

But I’m way under my calories for breakfast & lunch. I’m going to birthday dinner tonight to I’ll be going over the daily limit. But I figure it is reasonable to eat a celebration meal (even if it is my 2nd birthday meal because I made my first goal weight)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    At Notre Dame tonight. Birthday dinner tonight with my adopted daughter. We share the same birthday, but 41 years apart. She just turned 21. Not sure how many calories are on those plates, but a lot. And cocktails, appetizer and desserts too.

Back at healthy eating tomorrow. My goal of getting down to 185# was so I could enjoy a birthday dinner without guilt… mission accomplished. I was 179 this morning. Probably 185 tonight!

Attachments

• E6DF4E70-8D00-4EC5-830A-C6EA9DDB1856.jpeg
      E6DF4E70-8D00-4EC5-830A-C6EA9DDB1856.jpeg
      111 KB · Views: 7

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    At Notre Dame tonight. Birthday dinner tonight with my adopted daughter. We share the same birthday, but 41 years apart. She just turned 21. Not sure how many calories are on those plates, but a lot. And cocktails, appetizer and desserts too.

Back at healthy eating tomorrow. My goal of getting down to 185# was so I could enjoy a birthday dinner without guilt… mission accomplished. I was 179 this morning. Probably 185 tonight!
    Happy Birthday. Keep going though and remember where you've been.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Happy Birthday to her! (And to you!)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Happy Birthday. Keep going though and remember where you've been.
    Thank you

So my morning weight yesterday was was 179.2#

I was definitely well below my calorie goals at breakfast and lunch, even with the small cupcake at lunchtime included. Saving myself for dinner, because I knew it was going to be a belly buster.

This morning my official weight is 179.6#

Gain of only a few ounces. But I'll admit that I pooped a couple (several) times. As in my bowels were more active over the past 18 hours than normal.

JUST CURIOUS … anyone use resistance bands in addition to weights? Instead of weights? My wife has some. So there is no cost to use them, just keep seeing resistance band training videos, advertisements, wonder if they work?

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    JUST CURIOUS … anyone use resistance bands in addition to weights? Instead of weights? My wife has some. So there is no cost to use them, just keep seeing resistance band training videos, advertisements, wonder if they work?
    Yes, I do. I alternate between bands and dumbbells. It makes a difference. Different applications of forces against the targeted muscle are happening. Also changing angles makes a difference too. Don't get stuck doing the exact same movements using the same methods. Your growth will stagnate

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yes, I do. I alternate between bands and dumbbells. It makes a difference. Different applications of forces against the targeted muscle are happening. Also changing angles makes a difference too. Don't get stuck doing the exact same movements using the same methods. Your growth will stagnate
    Thanks. I just ordered some simple wall anchors and plan to start using the bands in multiple ways. Just wanted to hear from someone

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    It was back to a normal routine yesterday at the gym after a two week program adjustment. I was having some lower back pain, so I tailored my workouts around that problem. The back was finally feeling good, so I went heavy with squats, bench, bent-over rows, etc. I felt great after the workout, so good in fact, I spent over five hours working in the yard when I got home. I overdid it slightly. I was so sore by the end of the day, I was very uncomfortable sleeping last night. I didn't touch a weight this morning and just did my cardio. I did manage to drop another two pounds last week, so that will keep me motivated for another week.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    It was back to a normal routine yesterday at the gym after a two week program adjustment. I was having some lower back pain, so I tailored my workouts around that problem. The back was finally feeling good, so I went heavy with squats, bench, bent-over rows, etc. I felt great after the workout, so good in fact, I spent over five hours working in the yard when I got home. I overdid it slightly. I was so sore by the end of the day, I was very uncomfortable sleeping last night. I didn't touch a weight this morning and just did my cardio. I did manage to drop another two pounds last week, so that will keep me motivated for another week.
    Good job. Be careful and listen to your body. It warns you to slow down a bit before it says screw you and lets you injure yourself.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The logic is sound for the computerized resistance bands. It’s actually innovative. For people like me, who are motivated by watching progress across data tables and graphs, it’s a nifty idea. I like an app that tracks data.

I won’t buy stuff that requires a monthly subscription. I’m aware of subscription based ‘smart’ dumbbells that allow the dumbbells to connect to your smartphone/tablet and interface with a trainer.

So many devices, especially higher end exercise equipment, are becoming subscription based. A Peloton exer-bike is basically a bike with an iPad glued on. The magic is not the bike, the magic is that it makes you pay a monthly fee to get motivation. There are plenty of others, rowing machines are doing this, as are treadmills. But dumbbells?

At least the computer enhanced rubber bands in the link above work with a stand alone ‘app’ so there is no monthly fee.

jmills

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2015
    Marshall co
    It’s not one’s weight you should be concerned about it’s your pants size. Weight will come and go, plus weight will be added by muscle gain (muscle weighs more than fat). I started labeling my pants fat, med/fat, skinny.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This may not help anyone else, but I find it motivating.

I have a "canary in the coal mine" shirt. It was too tight when I bought it, which was the point. The goal is not to be able to wear it, the goal is to put it on once a week and see how it fits. If it's loose enough to wear with a gun, that's ideal. If it's loose enough to wear without a gun, that's acceptable but need to watch out and cut calories or step up exercise. If it's too tight without a gun, code red.

Day to day I wear looser clothing, and that doesn't give you any feedback. Weight fluctuates and doesn't give you short term feedback.

I'm back to too tight with a gun, so time to step it up again. I got lazy with sleep deprivation as an excuse, and cut my cardio in about half and completely stopped lifting for several months. Back to lifting and back to cardio, even if I can only get in 20 minute increments.

Top Bottom