• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    If the scientists can demonstrate scientifically that a given demographic should receive a limited medical intervention then it makes sense to follow that lead. If a political decision is made to placate a demographic, or to stoke a demographic, well that's just plain wrong.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If the scientists can demonstrate scientifically that a given demographic should receive a limited medical intervention then it makes sense to follow that lead. If a political decision is made to placate a demographic, or to stoke a demographic, well that's just plain wrong.

OMIGOSH! Look! Logical thought!

Quick! Smother it with emotional outrage and charges of RACISM!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

We don't want scientist to dictate policy for greenhouse gases, but we do when it comes to vaccine distribution? :dunno:

We've been arguing for months about the science of masks, but somehow we have think there would be consensus here?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We don't want scientist to dictate policy for greenhouse gases, but we do when it comes to vaccine distribution? :dunno:

We've been arguing for months about the science of masks, but somehow we have think there would be consensus here?

You added the word "dictate". He didn't say to give scientists the power to dictate it. It's still a political decision.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You added the word "dictate". He didn't say to give scientists the power to dictate it. It's still a political decision.

Mea culpa.

It's still a limited commodity with high demand, so naturally people are going to get pissed at however it's handled.

I'm generally cool with it until it shows up on Ebay due to scalpers.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Mea culpa.

It's still a limited commodity with high demand, so naturally people are going to get pissed at however it's handled.

Sure. People will be pissed. But I'd rather the policy around how to distribute it would benefit the most people. I don't think we even need scientists at this point to guess who that would be. Pretty much, old ****s and people with indicated comorbidities.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sure. People will be pissed. But I'd rather the policy around how to distribute it would benefit the most people. I don't think we even need scientists at this point to guess who that would be. Pretty much, old ****s and people with indicated comorbidities.

That's one way (what Tulsi was advocating).

Another way is to vaccinate those that are in contact with other and have a higher risk of getting it and spreading it.

Still another is to vaccinate those that, should they get sick, will impact society in very negative ways.

Probably the worst way would be to load a hotdog cannon with syringes and point it at a crowd.
    giphy.gif

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

They only believe in 'follow the science' when they're holding the reins

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Mea culpa.

I would note, as an aside, that while the vaccine is a scarce product, there is no reason to even discuss making it mandatory....and so far, no real discussion. I hope it stays that way.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's one way (what Tulsi was advocating).

Another way is to vaccinate those that are in contact with other and have a higher risk of getting it and spreading it.

Still another is to vaccinate those that, should they get sick, will impact society in very negative ways.

Probably the worst way would be to load a hotdog cannon with syringes and point it at a crowd.

Vaccinating the spreaders will only work if the vaccine actually prevents infection rather than preventing symptoms. I don't think that's completely settled now. i do think there's some merit to vaccinating people who would impact society in very negative ways if they got covid. Key politicians? Sure. Speaker, Senate Majority leader. Military leaders. Maybe some key cabinet members. And so on. CEO's? Well, if they're among the vulnerable, sure. Otherwise, they can wait their turn.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Vaccinating the spreaders will only work if the vaccine actually prevents infection rather than preventing symptoms. I don't think that's completely settled now. i do think there's some merit to vaccinating people who would impact society in very negative ways if they got covid. Key politicians? Sure. Speaker, Senate Majority leader. Military leaders. Maybe some key cabinet members. And so on. CEO's? Well, if they're among the vulnerable, sure. Otherwise, they can wait their turn.

Not really. I’m still waiting for anyone to name a virus that we have a vaccine for where someone can be effectively vaccinated and still spread the virus. It doesn’t work that way.

They are, as always, defaulting to “we have not studied this exact scenario as to this exact virus so we won’t talk about everything we’ve ever learned from every other virus.”

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not really. I’m still waiting for anyone to name a virus that we have a vaccine for where someone can be effectively vaccinated and still spread the virus. It doesn’t work that way.

They are, as always, defaulting to “we have not studied this exact scenario as to this exact virus so we won’t talk about everything we’ve ever learned from every other virus.”

How do you know how it works then?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/health/covid-vaccine-mask.html

It sounds like they're pretty sure the vaccine will prevent people from getting sick. It does not sound like they're sure that it will prevent them from being asymptomatic spreaders. It's unsure enough that Faucci talked about it. And not just him.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom