The Libertarian Party Race is Filling Up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My information must be old then.

Another thing to consider is the relative efficiency in Trump's campaign versus Hillary's. While the spread isn't nearly as phenomenal as that between Trump and Jeb in the primary, assuming that the primary numbers are representative, Trump drew in a larger number of votes spending less than half the money per vote on advertising that Hillary spent, and that does not account for other savings like having much less overhead in internal campaign spending. In the same period of time, Hillary brought in over $60M, but if she holds to the pattern, she would need double that to maintain her 5/2 spending ratio with Trump.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    He's barely campaigning for himself, seemingly giving this to Clinton. He isn't saying "nice" things (anymore), but he's also not going after her in any substantive way.

Also, as a Libertarian, you should know and understand the "give Hillary your vote" line is illogical nonsense.

I'd say he's doing some hard-nosed bargaining from a position of strength with respect to getting the GOPe on board with his campaign

After all, if this ends in the train wreck #NeverRelevant wants us all to think it will, he just goes back to being a billionaire ... ahh, but whither the GOPe? Which one do you think will blink first - Trump Train or Gravy Train

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    It's pretty simple to me. While Gary Johnson isn't the libertarian I would prefer, his election would actually rrepresent an increase in America's freedom, something that hasn't happened for decades if not 100 years.

Does it hurt that he doesn't hate Hillary the way I do? well yes, it does but that would be a completely irrational reason to turn my support to a guy whose entire power structure is based on outrage and whose statements are constantly in conflict with each other as well as in conflict with logic

Nothing good comes of a Trump or Clinton presidency; just more of the status quo and our march towards failure economically and as a nation. Gary Johnson can't save the economy either but any hope of a political revolution (rather than the usual outcome of nations) is a hope worth trying for.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Yawn. Wake me up when your douche qualifies to be on the same debate stage as the other two douches.

What does it take for a douche to qualify to be on this stage? Which douches decide the qualifying factors? Who elected those douches?

How long has it been since actual debates occurred on this stage?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What does it take for a douche to qualify to be on this stage?

It's my understanding that candidates must belong to one of the two "official" parties, or have 15% approval in whatever polls "they" say matter, where "they" is not us.

Which douches decide the qualifying factors?

Committees. Press. Elites. Does it matter?

Who elected those douches?

I don't really think elites get elected. They just kinda get power, and then tell everyone else what to do.

How long has it been since actual debates occurred on this stage?

What, you mean like national tournament rules debates? Never happens. What we call "debates" is mostly just Q&A, where the questions are loaded and the answers are contrived.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It's pretty simple to me. While Gary Johnson isn't the libertarian I would prefer, his election would actually rrepresent an increase in America's freedom, something that hasn't happened for decades if not 100 years.

Does it hurt that he doesn't hate Hillary the way I do? well yes, it does but that would be a completely irrational reason to turn my support to a guy whose entire power structure is based on outrage and whose statements are constantly in conflict with each other as well as in conflict with logic

Nothing good comes of a Trump or Clinton presidency; just more of the status quo and our march towards failure economically and as a nation. Gary Johnson can't save the economy either but any hope of a political revolution (rather than the usual outcome of nations) is a hope worth trying for.

I am not sure I consider someone who believes that the force of government should be used to make me do business in ways that violate my personal convictions, religious or otherwise, represents any beacon of freedom. His ideas on open borders are a shutout with me as well.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Yawn. Wake me up when your douche qualifies to be on the same debate stage as the other two douches.
    I would think you would be concerned that you are paying for the power the other 2 parties have. Doesn't that thought "wake you up" at all?

I am not sure I consider someone who believes that the force of government should be used to make me do business in ways that violate my personal convictions, religious or otherwise, represents any beacon of freedom.
    He's not "my" kind of complete libertarian. But yes, compared to where we have been going his election would take freedom in a positive direction. That's what I mean specifically, because otherwise it always goes the other way.
    Ron Paul has done us all a service spending years trying to fully articulate the principles and outcomes of liberty. That sort of honest, thorough message falls largely on deaf ears. That doesn't mean I give up on the principles. But it does mean I'm going to look very positively on anyone who has a remote chance of improving our liberty in any way.
    So while I wouldn't call him a "beacon" of freedom I'd say he's a step in the right direction. If you've been gaining 50# per year for your whole life, a plan that drops 10# is a darn good thing. Who knows, it might even produce such a positive result that the public would want to "shed more weight".

His ideas on open borders are a shutout with me as well.
    He doesn't say "open" in terms of immigration and citizenship. He says make work visas easier and movement easier.
    I have mixed feelings about that. One thing I do know is that it is a complete sham and waste of government money to try to prevent people from crossing the border while we are SPENDING government money to entice them across the border.
    Get rid of the welfare state and end the drug war. Then tell me if we have a border problem and what we need to spend on it. The idea of walls and increasing enforcement right now is like continuing to chase our own tail.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I would think you would be concerned that you are paying for the power the other 2 parties have. Doesn't that thought "wake you up" at all?

Why would I not be then paying for the third? I have no faith that Johnson would cause a better outcome.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    The only interest I have in anything to do with Libertarians or that mindset, is what they can do to defeat Hillary Clinton in November. Anything else is political postering that will help Ms. Clinton get closer to the podium to be sworn in during the next Presidential inauguration.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The only interest I have in anything to do with Libertarians or that mindset, is what they can do to defeat Hillary Clinton in November. Anything else is political postering that will help Ms. Clinton get closer to the podium to be sworn in during the next Presidential inauguration.

So long as the ruling class can count on the prevalence of this myopic political focus among only two vast classes of polarized single-dimensional subjects, they need not worry that the concepts or practice of Liberty would ever again inflame the inhabitants of this land to declare, "enough!""

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    So long as the ruling class can count on the prevalence of this myopic political focus among only two vast classes of polarized single-dimensional subjects, they need not worry that the concepts or practice of Liberty would ever again inflame the inhabitants of this land to declare, "enough!""

And the start of the road to correct the problem is preferential voting.

But those 2 words scare the two party system more than any other words in the English language.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Why would I not be then paying for the third? I have no faith that Johnson would cause a better outcome.
    Taxpayers did not fund the libertarian primary. Taxpayers do fund the Republican and Democrat primaries.
    The 2-party system has also written itself a myriad of advantages from ballot access to power in the legislature.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Taxpayers did not fund the libertarian primary. Taxpayers do fund the Republican and Democrat primaries.
    The 2-party system has also written itself a myriad of advantages from ballot access to power in the legislature.

You haven't convinced me that this would be a better outcome? If the Libertarian Party were in charge, what built in advantages would they write for themselves?

Top Bottom