• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    While the big headlines for yesterday involved such things as TEBOW & BRADY as well as the death of Kim Jong Il, one of the most significant headlines seems to have gone unnoticed.

The death of the leader of the Velvet Revolution, Vaclav Havel, former playwright turned freedom fighter turned president of Czechoslovakia.

Havel, leader of Velvet Revolution, dies | Reuters

This was a great man, one who should be remembered for all history, not just for the brief time his obituary graced the news section of the ever changing interwebs. He stared into the face of the communists and defeated them, not with guns, but with the ideals of freedom.

Long live his memory. RIP Vaclav Havel :patriot:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A great example of a man acting according to his informed conscience, whether it was comfortable or not.

I think the passing of Havel and Kim Jong-Il within a day or so of each other is another sign of the universe's strange sense of humor.

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    The universe has a sense of balance. A great leader of a noble nation has passed, and a crappy leader of a cesspool nation has, too. One up, one down. The balance is maintained.

I will mourn the loss of Havel, and have a drink in his honor. I will also have a celebratory drink about Kim.

You know, there's a word for top-down governments where sons inherit the rulership from their father -- and it's not communist. It's a freaking KINGDOM. In all but name.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    A great example of a man acting according to his informed conscience, whether it was comfortable or not.

I think the passing of Havel and Kim Jong-Il within a day or so of each other is another sign of the universe's strange sense of humor.

And we are left with fearless leader... The punch line of the joke.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Good post melensdad. Several great men popped up in Eastern Europe to bring their countries out of the darkness of communism. Mr. Havel was certainly one of them.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom