• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Sorry, but he did not put in his 20 so he is not due any benefits no matter who he is or who he shot. You want the benefits, do your 20 same as everyone else. Don't get me wrong I respect whoever he is but do your time to get the dime.

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    I think the Shooter was just relaying the facts, and the writer used it to highlight his article (he's getting nothing, after everything he did!) to appeal to a civilian readership that doesn't know anything about how the military works.
    The truth is, if you don't do 20, you don't get any lifetime benefits as far as a pension or retiree health insurance. Everybody knows that going in. I did 10 years active duty and got out, fully knowing I'd have no retirement or health care to fall back on. I made my choice.

I do think he has a case to pursue a disability rating from the VA, though...

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks for posting! Good read.

The part about the doorbell made me spit beer everywhere.:laugh:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Not all jobs in the military are created equal. He might have only done 16 years by their assessment, but in my book he EARNED his retirement. There are not many individuals that could perform his job for twenty years.:twocents:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    This seems kind of far fetched. That guy, whomever he is, no doubt has endless offers of employment and opportunity's.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I did 13 yrs in the Navy and had enough. I knew going out the door there was nothing else coming my way. Every soldier, airman, marine or sailor knows this going in, so no surprise the civilian thought it unfair. He should be owed some disability compensation due to becoming broken while in service to country. Great story!

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm not sure what the point of the article was, is it about some additional details about the raid or in showing this guys predicament after the service. I don't really have much sympathy for him for just getting out when he only had four years to go. Eveybody knows you don't get retirement or health benefits. He will definitely have some VA claims that i'm sure will pan out but if he was truly broken he should have tried to get med boarded and retired that way. All that time wasted. He could have gone into the reserves and had tricare for 190.00 month but I can understand being ST6 and then going to a Reserve unit. He shouldn't be that broke, senior NCO's in these units were getting 100K reenlistment bonuses (at least in the army).

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have the deepest respect for this guy but regs are clearly stated and he's know for the last 16 years he needed 20 to retire. If he's too broken to remain in the military, he's eligible for medical retirement. If he's partially disabled and wanted out, he can apply for VA disability.

Just my opinion the media is painting a picture that this guy should get special consideration just because he shot a bad guy. What about the other guys on the raid, should they get early retirement too?

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    I am continually amazed at how little the civilian populace, in general, knows about what their taxes go to.....Anyway...

Just like we knew we'd "give up" many of our rights as a citizen when we sign on the dotted line, we knew what the deal was. Career councilors aside, if you did 10, 12, 14, 16 or 18 you knew there was no golden retirement.

For some, the honor of serving our once great country was enough.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I don't know any retired or ex-SF guys that can't find work. All he has to say is Dev Group and he has a job with almost any company related to tactical equipment or work. There's always work for a man of his experience.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I know its harsh but its his own fault for getting out with only 3-4 years left. you dont do your time you dont get anything. Everyone in the military knows this.

Top Bottom