• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    the more I'm beginning to understand why some don't use sub compacts.
    Going from the XD-S to 226 is just crazy. I usually shoot about 100 rds through each.

I do good with the xd but practicing double taps, or just somewhat fast follow ups at about
    10-12 yds on 6" & 8" steel plates is soo much more challenging than the Sig.

This is for obvious reasons, but my point is in self defense scenarios where several things can
    increase the likelihood of missed shots, I can see the advantage to having something that feels as effortless to
    shoot as the Sig.

I don't know that I would want to try to EDC something that big,but maybe
    along the lines of another XDM 3.8 (compact this time) or a G19, or a slightly smaller Sig etc....

Throw out some opinions/feedback:yesway:

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I had a XDM 45 Compact (3.8 barrel) It was awesome! I loved having the 13 round mag for a back up. I bought mine a few years back and sold it a year later. I have regretted selling it ever since. It was easy to make 2-3 solid hits on a target for me, the trigger was awesome, the ergonomics are right as well. The XDM has my vote. The other other thing I could suggest is a 229, they are a slightly scaled down version of the 226. Plus you can use the Mosquito for training. If your already familiar with the 226 I would suggest looking into the 229. Best of luck in the search for the right gun!

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I really like carrying a Glock 26. 11 rounds of 9mm is nothing to scoff at and is the same size of a J frame revolver. Shooting it is both comfortable and pleasant. Some people cant get past the pinky not on the firearm part. I don't find it a problem.

I have big man hands any of the the little guns smaller then a ppk feels like a bulldog humping a football.

alhambra lion

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I think the 228 is everyone's most wanted Sig. But if you can't find one of those Sig does offer several models that would be much easier to conceal than the 226. The 229 is a very nice firearm. A slightly smaller version of the 226 you have now. You could go even smaller with the 224 model. It is just slightly larger than a G26. They also make a single stack that is very easy to conceal - the 239. The last two are extremely easy to conceal and a lot of guys can get away with the 229 as well.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Going from the XD-S to 226 is just crazy. I usually shoot about 100 rds through each.

I do good with the xd but practicing double taps, or just somewhat fast follow ups at about

This is for obvious reasons, but my point is in self defense scenarios where several things can
    increase the likelihood of missed shots, I can see the advantage to having something that feels as effortless to
    shoot as the Sig.

along the lines of another XDM 3.8 (compact this time) or a G19, or a slightly smaller Sig etc....

I'm 5'6" and 140lbs. and I EDC a Sig 226 or a 1911. A good belt and Holster make all the difference.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm a big proponent of medium-size, "compact" carry runs like the G19, SIG 228/229, etc. if one's situation allows it.

Gypsy31

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Newburgh
    Try the Sig 239 or even a Sig 228. The older ones not the newer version.

My EDC is the Sig M11-A1 and I'm guessing it's what you're calling a "newer version" P228. I have not had a single problem with it. It has ate everything I've fed it, including WWB. It is very accurate and conceals pretty well. Comes with 3 mags, phosphate coated internals, SRT, Siglite sights... So I'm curious. Why the older ones and not the newer version?

linc_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    My EDC is the Sig M11-A1 and I'm guessing it's what you're calling a "newer version" P228. I have not had a single problem with it. It has ate everything I've fed it, including WWB. It is very accurate and conceals pretty well. Comes with 3 mags, phosphate coated internals, SRT, Siglite sights... So I'm curious. Why the older ones and not the newer version?
    To make a real long story short:
    Nothing wrong with a newer p228, you get a lot of options for the 750-850' dollar range. But an older p228 has a folded carbon steel slide, with a pinned breach block. This makes the gun much more balanced, and just feels flat out amazing to a sig lover. The older ones were discontinued and somewhat replaced with the p229 (milled slide), making some sig enthusiast rather disappointed. Now the newer p228s have a stainless milled slide with the long external extractor, making them heavier and less balanced to some shooters. Not to mention some hate the long extractor. In my opinion they are a great classic sig pistol, but just not a real p228. More of a Frankingun or a p229 with 228 grips.

Gypsy31

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Newburgh
    So pretty much the normal "mine is better than yours because..."

It is what it is.

I consider myself a Sig lover and think the M11-A1 feels just as amazing as the P228.

Here's my first 5 rounds through the M11-A1.

Slow fire at 10 yards off-hand

I don't think a "more balanced" P228 would have made that group any tighter.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I carry what I can, and sometimes the little pocket .380 is what it is. My normal EDC is a Jframe, because I can shoot it well, and its about as small of a gun as I can shoot that well. Beyond that, if I am carrying bigger, I tend to go 1911 or hi-power. I have had a Glock 26 before, and honestly the Hi-Power isnt much more of a hassle to carry. Just a little extra weight, but nothing a good belt and holster can make disappear.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

shoot as the Sig.

And this is why I question the purpose of these micro pistols unless you're some kind of god-on-earth level shooter.

If they're even a small challenge to shoot relaxed on the range... Under stress when your life depends on it, yeah I don't see it playing out well hahahaha.

Carry what you can shoot best, you have a license to carry, if it shows it shows.

To make a real long story short:
    Nothing wrong with a newer p228, you get a lot of options for the 750-850' dollar range. But an older p228 has a folded carbon steel slide, with a pinned breach block. This makes the gun much more balanced, and just feels flat out amazing to a sig lover. The older ones were discontinued and somewhat replaced with the p229 (milled slide), making some sig enthusiast rather disappointed. Now the newer p228s have a stainless milled slide with the long external extractor, making them heavier and less balanced to some shooters. Not to mention some hate the long extractor. In my opinion they are a great classic sig pistol, but just not a real p228. More of a Frankingun or a p229 with 228 grips.

Are you aware of why they got away from the folded slide? Because it wouldn't handle the abuse of the 40S&W and the 357 Sig.

The current slides are tougher, technically a better product. Small parts might have been better in the older firearms, but the slides certainly weren't.

Last edited:

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    Only reason I like older version is its lighter because new version has stainless slide like the 229. As for quality I've never shot or owned a bad Sig. And I own a few

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I think you need more practice with the xds. I found i5 to be just as accurate as my G19. I bet the problem, as it usually is, is with the user, not the gear.

Edit: I couldn't shoot a Sig 225 to save my life, even though it felt great. I.shouldn't have ditched it - just needed more trigger time.

Last edited:

linc_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    And this is why I question the purpose of these micro pistols unless you're some kind of god-on-earth level shooter.

If they're even a small challenge to shoot relaxed on the range... Under stress when your life depends on it, yeah I don't see it playing out well hahahaha.

Carry what you can shoot best, you have a license to carry, if it shows it shows.

Are you aware of why they got away from the folded slide? Because it wouldn't handle the abuse of the 40S&W and the 357 Sig.

The current slides are tougher, technically a better product. Small parts might have been better in the older firearms, but the slides certainly weren't.
    Fully aware of the the slides & small parts, that's why I said "Long Story Short".
    Nothing is wrong with a p229-228-m11a1. I own all three and are all fine pistols. I just feel the original p228 feels better in my hand. Even though the p229 in .357sig is a main EDC.

Top Bottom