• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    These stats are for Colorado Springs, but they hold up more or less for the rest of the nation, though some places they will be lower, some higher of course.

The median teacher salary in Colorado Springs is about 52K. Fifty percent of teachers here make between 41K and 61K. Twenty-five percent are above 61K, and 25% are below 41K.

That doesn't tell the whole story, though. Teachers don't contribute to Social Security in this state, they contribute to PERA, which will pay them as much as 100% of their salary when they retire, depending on their years.

Also, the numbers don't tell the whole story because teachers only work 9 months of the year. To arrive at the real figures, you have to divide by 9, then multiply by 12. When you do that, the real median salary is 69K.

Combined with a much better retirement package than anyone in the private sector, I laugh when I hear about teachers being underpaid.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Not sure where you got the SS info. I am looking at my wifes W2 and box 4 shows $ was withheld for SS.

I will let her know about this post, she may answer you AFTER SHE GETS HOME FROM SCHOOL. Thats right she went in today (Sunday) to do more work.

The 9 months thing doesn't acount for all the hours she does AFTER CONTRACT time.
    They work alot more than 8-3.
    How about the time and $ spent going back to school, that she pays for?

jwdecour

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I know teachers around hear that started out around 30 to 35000 a year. Of course they also owe about 45000 for their education when they get out so even that money doesn't go very far. Teachers have a thankless job in this country...

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    What do Teachers Make?

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education.

He argued, 'What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?'

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: 'Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.'

To emphasize his point he said to another guest; 'You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?'

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, 'You want to know what I make?
    (She paused for a second, then began...)

'Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 without an I Pod, Game Cube or movie rental.

You want to know what I make?' (She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table.)

''I make kids wonder.

I make them question.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.

I teach them to write and then I make them write. Keyboarding isn't everything.

I make them read, read, read.

I make them show all their work in math.

They use their God-given brain, not the man-made calculator.

I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity.

I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.

I make my students stand, placing their hand over their heart to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, One Nation Under God, because we live in the United States of America.

I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.'

(Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.)

'Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, with me knowing money isn't everything, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant...

You want to know what I make?

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

What do you make Mr. CEO?'

His jaw dropped, he went silent.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I know teachers around hear that started out around 30 to 35000 a year. Of course they also owe about 45000 for their education when they get out so even that money doesn't go very far. Teachers have a thankless job in this country...

And a 4 year education shouldn't leave a grad with $45k in student loans either. I've explained many times on here how to fix the outrageous college tuition rates but nobody seems to care.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    These stats are for Colorado Springs, but they hold up more or less for the rest of the nation, though some places they will be lower, some higher of course.

The median teacher salary in Colorado Springs is about 52K. Fifty percent of teachers here make between 41K and 61K. Twenty-five percent are above 61K, and 25% are below 41K.

That doesn't tell the whole story, though. Teachers don't contribute to Social Security in this state, they contribute to PERA, which will pay them as much as 100% of their salary when they retire, depending on their years.

Also, the numbers don't tell the whole story because teachers only work 9 months of the year. To arrive at the real figures, you have to divide by 9, then multiply by 12. When you do that, the real median salary is 69K.

Combined with a much better retirement package than anyone in the private sector, I laugh when I hear about teachers being underpaid.

I don't see the problem there even if it's all 100% correct and not out of context in any way?

If the median is 69 then there's some more and some less. Where's the problem? There's some good teachers and bad teachers and expirienced teachers who know what they are doing and there's teacher green as grass are they all suppose to be paid the same in your world? Some are teaching colors and cat or dog and others are teaching Algebra, chemestry, and trig. Should they all get paid the same?:dunno:

jwdecour

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    And a 4 year education shouldn't leave a grad with $45k in student loans either. I've explained many times on here how to fix the outrageous college tuition rates but nobody seems to care.

I don't think "nobody seems to care" but I do know that nobody seems to be able to control the rising cost of secondary education. During the time I was in school (not to be a teacher) my tuition went up 5% or more each year. It is sad that people try to better their futures by getting higher education but end up paying for it for decades later.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Why would anyone care what the ones teaching our childern make.:dunno: If you think they are overpaid and get special benifits go to school and get a degree and get a teaching job instead of trying to bring them down.:twocents:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Just looked it up 30844 is the average starting salary in Indiana. Not much for having to have 4 years of schooling if you ask me.

It must be about right or at least enough. There's no shortage of people wanting the job.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon

How long has the average treacher been teaching there?
    I will bet its close to 20 years.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't think "nobody seems to care" but I do know that nobody seems to be able to control the rising cost of secondary education. During the time I was in school (not to be a teacher) my tuition went up 5% or more each year. It is sad that people try to better their futures by getting higher education but end up paying for it for decades later.

Do you want to fix tuition costs? Quit taking out student loans. Mommy and Daddy, quit paying for your kid's tuition. Either colleges will start charging reasonable tuition rates that students can afford to attend and work to pay for or they will go out of business.

If you rack up $40+k in loans and then cry about it, it's your problem, not mine. I never spent the first day in college and I make over $20 an hour in a non union factory. I am not saving a penny in a 529 college plan for my daughter. All those things do is enlarge the pool of money for colleges to raise their rates. My plan is to buy my daughter's first house. That will do far more for her than any college degree will.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    It seems people are jealous as to what others make. If you don't like it just go to college and get a degree like the teachers did. Most teachers work many extra hours. Also for some reason the teachers are being punished for the decreasing intelligence of our school age children. The problem with grades is mainly in the home not the school. As times get worse with the economy people are mad if someone makes more money than they do. All the anti-teacher sentiment lately will not be good for anyone. It won't be long at this rate the jealous people will be happy when nobody is making a decent wage. Most if not all teachers i know work hard and care about kids.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    How long has the average treacher been teaching there?
    I will bet its close to 20 years.

Is the idea of seniority increases due to simply holding the job longer or doing the job better? Is a teacher with 30 years doing the job of 2 teachers with 5 years? If not, why is the 30 year teacher making the same money as 2 teachers combined?

Seniority raises are great if you're on the receiving end of them but put yourself in the employer's shoes. If you need a job done, and a 5 year man can do it as well as a 30 year man, why would you want to pay the extra salary of the 30 year man?

My employer used to give dimes and quarter raises for various years of service with no real "top out" pay (mind you at dimes and quarters, you weren't getting anywhere fast). They came up with a new program that all employees top out in pay after 4 years. All those with seniority started wailing like banshees about how many years it took them to get to the top pay. I reminded them that with almost everyone making the same pay, it was more job security for the senior people in that the only benefit of laying off the senior people was to save money on extra vacation days. If you can't be the best you're going to be after 4 years in this job, you aren't worth what you're making.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Thats because the schools a RIFing (look it up) teachers and they are looking for jobs. And now there are 25-30 kids in a room.

They're RIF'ing teachers because there aren't enough tax dollars to pay high wages AND keep all teachers. They're RIF'ing teachers because those with tenure and are safe from said RIF'ing care more about not giving up a penny of their salary or benefits so their peers can all keep their jobs. Schools have a check book just like you and I do. Goes ins have to be equal to or larger than goes outs. If you want, you're more than welcome to donate some of your money to help keep teachers in their jobs. All I'm asking is that you don't use the government gun to extract even more money out of me and others struggling through the private sector.

Top Bottom