The New Chuck Norris (nope made a mistake it's my son)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    My son graduated from his yellow belt to his orange belt tonight. He did great. He is learning at Villari's in Ajax where he is getting great MMA Non competitive (meaning they train for self defense not competition) He is learning Shaolin Kempo, Karate, Kung-fu & Jiu-Jitsu

20140415_203434.jpg Josiah being presented his orange belt by his direct teacher (who is a 4th degree black belt) to the right is the school's lead teacher (Master Bartlett) who is a 6th degree black belt. What I like about this school is it does not rush it's students through. They have refused to give grading to students who just want to go get their black belt without proceeding further. They will not accept students who want to do competitions. (They will gladly give you a list of schools that do that) And best of all they are pro gun Master Barlett holds a restricted fire arms permit in Canada (handguns).
    Although like me he never drank the Glock cool-aid like some Einstein on here gave a cupful of it to my son a few years ago and I have never been able to get him to drink from anything else.
    But I would never hint who that Einstein would be (By the way Hoosierdood Josiah said to say hi and thanx for introducing him to Glock)...oops[h=4][/h]

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Don't accept students who want to compete? Never heard of such a thing.
    What they are trying to teach is self discipline and self defense, within the school itself they have sparing and match fights. There is grading and placements. What they do not get involved in is MMA tournaments or other types of Outside the school competitions.
    Like I said they are very polite to those who are looking for that and will guide you to schools who do that.
    This private school has chosen not to go down that road and I like that.

I belonged to a similar school when I was my son's age. Th teacher turned out well qualified students who you would not want to mess with. Down the street was Golden Dragons. Most people considered it a black belt mill. It took only two years to go from white to your first dan in black belt. The students were in all types of competitions, they had very poor attitudes and the one and only time (that I know of) when a large group of their students tried to start a rumble with a class we were leaving it was diffused by laughing them away.

I understand this is not representative of all schools (or even most) that train for competitive MMA or specific types of competition. That's fine. But I want my son to be able to defend himself in a very efficient way. We investigated several schools when he was looking at joining. The Head teacher of the school has a great attitude and we like hos abilities and his personality. I met him first and then let my son sit down with him.

Josiah and him both agreed they wanted a student teacher/student relationship. He doesn't care if you call him Master Bartlett, Mr Bartlett or sir as long as the student is showing respect to those who train under him.

My son pays for his classes and his grading out of his own pocket, I was comfortable with this school and most important my son is being taught by somebody he respects, wants to learn from, is having fun and has a great attitude about it.

Sorry this response was so long but I wanted you to understand this was well thought out, investigated and mist important is a great investment my son is making in his own life.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    My son pays for his classes and his grading out of his own pocket, I was comfortable with this school and most important my son is being taught by somebody he respects, wants to learn from, is having fun and has a great attitude about it.

Agreed. Good job!

Top Bottom