• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The orange on a blind was an offshoot of a fatal deer hunting accident in Michigan where a hunter fired at a deer and struck a hunter sitting inside a pop up blind. The hunter that fired the short never saw the blind. The hunter that was killed was from Indiana.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. Most blinds come with a little flip up orange patch on each side.

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    I agree. I wouldn't hunt public land in a ground blind during gun season, but if I did, I would sure put some orange on it whether it was a law or not. I would want other hunters to know where I was and hopefully not shoot in that direction. But requiring it on private land?? I don't think that should be a law.

I agree with you on this. I don't hunt on public land because of all the crazy people that shoot at anything that moves. I don't understand why I would need hunter orange any time that I am on Private land. I won't hunt on land that others hunt unless I know for sure who is hunting and where.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have hunted with all types, recurve/stick, compound, and crossbow. My opinion is that while crossbows give you a steadier shot they are clumsier to handle in a tree stand with branches around. No real speed advantage. No quick follow up shot with a crossbow if you miss and the animal is still there. Crossbows are great in cold weather.

I'm sure lobbiests for the industry are behind the change and there will be a lot of them sold the first year or two. Lots of new but soon to be dissapointed crossbow hunters in the woods. Archery means closer range with no obstructions to the shot, so the folks expecting something like rifle season will be selling thier crossbows cheap in a few year. :)

jbwhttail

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    For those of you that would like to use a centrfire rifle in Indiana during the firearm season this rule package is your opportunity to let DNR know! In my discussions of this revised package I was told there are some in DNR who support going to centerfire.

If you want a recruitment tool what better than a .243 rifle in a youth or womans hands? Less recoil than anything used here today and DEADLY. Let's get away from a Conservation Officer having to carry a reg book and a set of micrometers to check if your round is legal. All he needs is a minimum caliber. All that is needed is exclude the urban areas.

And before anyone posts they are more dangerous than our slug guns, Pennsylvania did a study and found slugs are more likely to rickochet and travel farther than a centerfire round.

Ask DNR and the NRC to revise the rule toi allow centerfire, if they want more deer dead this is the tool that will do it

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    For those of you that would like to use a centrfire rifle in Indiana during the firearm season this rule package is your opportunity to let DNR know! In my discussions of this revised package I was told there are some in DNR who support going to centerfire.

If you want a recruitment tool what better than a .243 rifle in a youth or womans hands? Less recoil than anything used here today and DEADLY. Let's get away from a Conservation Officer having to carry a reg book and a set of micrometers to check if your round is legal. All he needs is a minimum caliber. All that is needed is exclude the urban areas.

And before anyone posts they are more dangerous than our slug guns, Pennsylvania did a study and found slugs are more likely to rickochet and travel farther than a centerfire round.

Ask DNR and the NRC to revise the rule toi allow centerfire, if they want more deer dead this is the tool that will do it

Let me see if I have this straight...

You are against lengthening the cartridges to 1.80 but are for full blown centerfires? Somehow that does not compute...

Nothing new as you were against PCRs and wanted to get people to give input on full blown centerfires then. Sure sounds to me that you are wanting to muddy the waters with more infighting.

It didn't work last time and it wont work this time..

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    He was against it before he was for it, or was he for it before he was against it? Every time the tide comes in, there's a new wave.

jbwhttail

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Let me set both of the previous posters straight............................

I was against limiting a cartridge size to a case length (still am) it allows wildcatting that is a limiting factor to many deer hunters both in knowledge as well as finances.

Now if you set a minimum caliber and let it be a hunters decision rifles or pistols will be affordable to virtually everyone.

I can pull up my comments when the PCR first came in asking for this very thing, better chance now ...............lol

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Interesting discussion

I always enjoy the bowhunting debate. Guys shooting thousand dollar hi-tech compound rigs tracking deer with trail cameras worried about crossbows. Traditional stick bow hunters did the same thing with compunds a few years back.

I think that with the negative attitude from many towards hunting if we give a new hunter the opportunity to get out and participate, it's a win.

One thing I would like to see is stronger language around hunter access to private land. Many landowners collect stacks of depradation permits and then few are actually used. Not saying that the state should dictate who is allowed on your land but that there should be some sort of access/agreement to allow hunter to access land when depradation tags are issued. If the tags are not filled, they are not distributed again to that landowner.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Man, I would LOVE it if Indiana would allow deer rifles for deer hunting. It's a little backwards the way things are now, use shotguns that are designed for bird hunting but no rifles designed for deer hunting. Deer are fragile creatures, they don't need a 600 grain hunk of lead to kill them. But no, we need to give our kids a slug gun that kicks like a .338 winmag and throws a projectile bigger than any standard elephant gun. Better use the right tool for the right job, a 270 shooting a 130gr bullet has less than half the recoil, and is accurate out to a much longer range.

Unfortunately, there are to many uninformed people, like the poster last week who stated that a 30-06 will shoot through a tree and kill a person on the other side. I think he was getting his firearm facts from Nancy Pelosi. It would be nice if Indiana gets out of the dark ages on this, maybe one day...

jbwhttail

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    tyrajam:

It starts with you commenting on the NRC site, this is not possible without peoples comments.

Uconas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    You can't be serious. Most people use camo blinds and hide them pretty well. It would be pretty easy for another hunter not notice you in you ground blind as it being hard to see and take a shot at a deer that comes between you and him, miss the deer and hit you in a blind that the hunter never knew was there because you were concerned about a little orange on your blind. I for one wouldn't feel very safe in the woods during gun season sitting in a well hidden camo blind when the shooting starts without some orange on it. Hell a little orange on your blind is not going to keep you from killing a deer, but it could very well save you ass from being killed. The purpose of this rule is to keep you from becoming a statistic.
    again now you have to remember the first rules when you were brought up as a kid, KNOWING YOUR BACK STOP!!!!!

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I read the ground blind regs as I would need to have 144 sq. inches of orange on my ground blind at certain times even though it is on my own property? Hmmm. Not completely opposed to it for public lands as you can't control who is on them but when I am on my own property and in theory controlling hunter access I am not sure I like being told I have to spend more money and time dressing up a blind on all four sides.

You already are controlled as to the clothing you must wear on your property for deer hunting. You still have to wear hunter orange on your own land. How is putting orange on a blind any different?

The intention behind the hunter orange on a blind is because the hunter may have orange, but will be obscured. Frankly, I'd like them to allow the camo-orange for the blinds as if I'm in one, I'd like to NOT be shot because someone doesn't realize I'm in a well-camouflaged blind.

Agreed.

Back when I used to use a ground blind for deer huntin I always put orange on it. When my wife or son used one I always made sure they had orange on theirs too. Even if I was hunting on the small (6 acre) private property I hunt on every year.

You can't be serious. Most people use camo blinds and hide them pretty well. It would be pretty easy for another hunter not notice you in you ground blind as it being hard to see and take a shot at a deer that comes between you and him, miss the deer and hit you in a blind that the hunter never knew was there because you were concerned about a little orange on your blind. I for one wouldn't feel very safe in the woods during gun season sitting in a well hidden camo blind when the shooting starts without some orange on it. Hell a little orange on your blind is not going to keep you from killing a deer, but it could very well save you ass from being killed. The purpose of this rule is to keep you from becoming a statistic.

+1

Here comes Jack Ryan. Look out! :D

:popcorn:

I agree with you on this. I don't hunt on public land because of all the crazy people that shoot at anything that moves. I don't understand why I would need hunter orange any time that I am on Private land. I won't hunt on land that others hunt unless I know for sure who is hunting and where.

From my example above, not all private property is a huge 500 acre tract. Many are just a smallish plot like the one I hunt on. It is conceivable that there could possibly be a couple of hunters on two different plots of private property & only be a couple of hundred yards apart or closer. The orange requirement isn't that expensive compared to the amount of money most people spend on hunting equipment. Buy a 5 dollar hunter safety vest & pin it to the outside of the blind. Easy & very inexpensive.

again now you have to remember the first rules when you were brought up as a kid, KNOWING YOUR BACK STOP!!!!!

Sure you can "know" your backstop all day long..until the hunter wearing full camo walks in at 150 yards & you can't see him. You realize that IS the purpose of wearing camo in the first place don't you? To blend into your environment so the game you are hunting can't see you (as well). It also has the big negative side effect that other hunters in your not-necessarily-immediate area can't see you either. Have you ever seen someone wearing a ghillie suit? You can be within 10 feet of a good one & not be able to see the person.

It is completely unrealistic for someone to require people to be held responsible for their "backstop" but not make others who are actively trying not to be seen just as responsible for being in an area where there is hunting going on & not wearing proper safety clothing.

Uconas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sure you can "know" your backstop all day long..until the hunter wearing full camo walks in at 150 yards & you can't see him. You realize that IS the purpose of wearing camo in the first place don't you?
    yes i do, but if you are not sure then you dont shoot! right.
    To blend into your environment so the game you are hunting can't see you (as well). It also has the big negative side effect that other hunters in your not-necessarily-immediate area can't see you either. Have you ever seen someone wearing a ghillie suit? You can be within 10 feet of a good one & not be able to see the person.
    now why would you hunt that close to someone you dont know.
    It is completely unrealistic for someone to require people to be held responsible for their "backstop" but not make others who are actively trying not to be seen just as responsible for being in an area where there is hunting going on & not wearing proper safety clothing
    it is realistic to hold someone responsible for there back stop. you dont shoot across roads right, cause its against the law and in fear of shooting a car . once you pull the trigger it cant come back, so let the game move to a location you can shoot or let it walk thats called hunting not killing

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    yes i do, but if you are not sure then you dont shoot! right.

Then I would say that there should never be any legal hunting allowed ever again in IN because you can never be 100% absolutely sure that there is not someone there at some distance that your bullet could ever travel under the worst case scenario. Unless you hunt at least 5 miles away from anyone else & use nothing bigger than a .22 you could have someone behind your "backstop" that your bullet may hit that you couldn't see.

We should at least ban hunting on all public lands because of the uncontrolled access that occurs there & you will never be able to be 100% sure that another person didn't walk in at 150 yards in full camo with no orange while you're aiming at the deer at 100 yards away. Or maybe they were there the entire time you were & they were sitting on the other side of a tree & just happened to step out as you pulled the trigger.

now why would you hunt that close to someone you dont know.

Hey it's my land. I can do whatever I want on my land can't I? (actually it's not my land but I have permission to hunt it from the owner so my point still stands). Not everbody has the luxury of hunting on huge swaths where they are RELATIVELY sure that someone else won't be there. Are you now saying that hunting should only be reserved for large landowners? I thought that we left the "nobility hunting only" policy behind when our forefathers came here from Europe.

I should be able to use my land for hunting. My neighbor should be able to use his land for hunting. I see no reason that there should be a problem with both of us being required to wear appropriate safety clothing as a minimum of protection for the guys doing the shooting let alone for the guys who could be shot.

it is realistic to hold someone responsible for there back stop. you dont shoot across roads right, cause its against the law and in fear of shooting a car . once you pull the trigger it cant come back, so let the game move to a location you can shoot or let it walk thats called hunting not killing

You have not one idea of what your talking about.

I'm not talking about Joe Redneck shooting at anything that moves or Mohammed Jihad firing into the air to celebrate some holiday.

I'm talking about hunting in an area that you have no way of 100% verifying that there is not another person at some distance from you that can be injured by a miss or pass through of the game you are legally hunting.

Obviously, if I knew the person was there, there would be no need for us to be having this conversation. I'm not in the habit of shooting toward or even in the general direction of someone I know is there. Sheesh!

Have you ever actually been in the woods hunting? With statements like those above I can't really see how you could have.

Hunter orange is not that great an expense or inconvenience for at least the minimum of safety that it offers both parties.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    To Finity:

Pinning a hunter orange vest to the top isn't going to do it under the regs. Need the 144 sq inches visible from ALL sides. If that is the rule then I will just have to do it.

You know as well as I do this will be just another excuse for an oversealous CO to tromp into your hunt to make sure you have "enough" even though the orange you have will be clearly visible from a hundred yards. I always put an orange hat on top of mine but once again as I am private land I don't like any regulation that invites more intrusion for inspection. Just my opinion. BUT I do recignize the greater good served on public lands with multiple hunters wherein you can't control land access.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    To Finity:

Pinning a hunter orange vest to the top isn't going to do it under the regs. Need the 144 sq inches visible from ALL sides. If that is the rule then I will just have to do it.

As I read that it is total of 144". So a 6" by 6" patch on each side would be legal. Some blinds come with them in place.

You know as well as I do this will be just another excuse for an oversealous CO to tromp into your hunt to make sure you have "enough" even though the orange you have will be clearly visible from a hundred yards. I always put an orange hat on top of mine but once again as I am private land I don't like any regulation that invites more intrusion for inspection. Just my opinion. BUT I do recignize the greater good served on public lands with multiple hunters wherein you can't control land access.

Having had a few folks "hunt" on my ground that are not supposed to be there leads me to believe it is a good measure for any commercial blind - anywhere. Face it, the type of individual who would trespass to poach is the type that will shoot at anything regardless of the backstop.

That is the same reason I carry and use a red flashlight walking in on my private ground.

My 2 cents..

Top Bottom