• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Well, I was just considering getting a SR9c as I do not own a double stack and have liked the SR 9c before. Just hate the safety, I'm a lefty and have no guns with manual safety's so I try to avoid them. Heard there was the possibility of a new SR replacement so I decided to wait until SHOT Show but I see this tonight.

This does not look like the SR replacement I hoped for. I think I prefer the good old SR to this, I really liked the slimness of the SR and this does not seem to have that. It's not horrible, but it's not great. I also personally dislike full size pistols so I'd need a compact. Appears I'll evaluate other options.

i do like the price though, good job there Ruger!

If anything, this would be a replacement for the SR9, since it is a full size. It is most certainly not a replacement for the SR9c - unless somewhere down the road, Ruger comes out with compact versions. For the time being - and perhaps even after - I'll stick with my SR9c for EDC.

I will, however, get the RAP .45ACP, instead of the SR45 I was going to get.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Ruger sent out an email about 5 free shots.

Ruger American Pistolâ„¢ Centerfire Pistol
    The closest range is 92 miles away. One Of the "closest" ranges is a PB. Is PB Carmel getting in on this?

Yeah the three closest to me were the two on the north side of Cincinnati (Target World and Point Blank), and a range in Kentucky.

Why are there no ranges in central Indiana that are in on this?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    If anything, this would be a replacement for the SR9, since it is a full size. It is most certainly not a replacement for the SR9c - unless somewhere down the road, Ruger comes out with compact versions. For the time being - and perhaps even after - I'll stick with my SR9c for EDC.

I will, however, get the RAP .45ACP, instead of the SR45 I was going to get.

I'm going on absolutely zero experience with the new model, of course, but I'd advise anyone to at least fire the SR45 before making the decision. My SR45 is sweet and smooth, so sweet and smooth that I've had a few guys offer to buy it from me as soon as they put a few rounds through it. Everyone I've ever let fire it has commented on how nice the trigger is and how comfortable it shoots. Don't get me wrong, I will own the new model in .45 and probably 9mm, Just because I have a Ruger fetish, and they may be even sweeter, not trying to talk you out of the SR, just saying don't dismiss without looking into it. As far as the loaded chamber indicator and thumb safety on the SRs, I don't get the big turn off, never bothered me in the least.....the mag disconnect I can see being an issue, but I would guess that could be modified maybe?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm going on absolutely zero experience with the new model, of course, but I'd advise anyone to at least fire the SR45 before making the decision. My SR45 is sweet and smooth, so sweet and smooth that I've had a few guys offer to buy it from me as soon as they put a few rounds through it. Everyone I've ever let fire it has commented on how nice the trigger is and how comfortable it shoots. Don't get me wrong, I will own the new model in .45 and probably 9mm, Just because I have a Ruger fetish, and they may be even sweeter, not trying to talk you out of the SR, just saying don't dismiss without looking into it. As far as the loaded chamber indicator and thumb safety on the SRs, I don't get the big turn off, never bothered me in the least.....the mag disconnect I can see being an issue, but I would guess that could be modified maybe?

I hear you. I think the SR series is fantastic, and the reason that I was originally going with the SR45 is because I'm so comfortable with the SR9c. That said, while Ruger is *saying* that the RAP won't be a replacement for the SR series, it sure comes across as exactly that. I've got a couple months to decide, anyway. If I buy a new pistol before our Florida/Disney trip next month, I might not live to see Mickey Mouse.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Yeah the three closest to me were the two on the north side of Cincinnati (Target World and Point Blank), and a range in Kentucky.

Why are there no ranges in central Indiana that are in on this?

Ruger sends certain gun stores free guns for this deal. The free one for PB went to Blue Ash (OH).

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    I watched a video on YouTube and the SR9 and the Ruger American pistol seem very similar. The RAP is a little heavier and has "better" sights supposedly. The mags are not exchangeable. Not sure why they came out with a new model so similar to the old one.

outnumbered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Blythes in Valpo has them in stock. Fondled one today and the trigger is nice,points well and ambi controls are fine...just nothing terribly sexy about them. I am a Glock fan on striker fired semi-autos, but barring something unexpected I would not hesitate to carry one of these. In the same breath, I would choose a Glock first every time fwiw. Did not feel out the .45acp so I can't compare to a 21, place was packed with buyers and I didn't want to stand in the way of free market enterprise.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Here is a good review of the pistol.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DxqL9L-0sN8

Thank you for that link! Pretty much settles it for me. I won't be getting one of these.

-It weighs more than 30 ounces unloaded. An SR9 is 26.5 ounces unloaded.
    -The SR9 is much thinner, yet has the same mag capacity (17 rounds).
    -The SR9 has excellent ergonomics. This is a subjective area, but this new Ruger doesn't look so comfortable. Those grip panels are odd.
    -According to this reviewer, the Ruger American slams into the rear of your thumb knuckle with every shot, even taking skin off of one shooter's hand. This is due to the oddly shaped top of the backstrap area. No such problem with the SR9 that I've heard of. I've never experienced that with a full sized pistol of any kind, even the ergonomics challenged Glock. I have experienced it with the little Glock 43, which stayed in my possession less than a week because of it.
    -He paid $499 for it. Not such a bargain when compared to a Glock, FN, Sig P320 or M&P.
    -Everyone who shot it shoots to the left. I've seen other Ruger American videos with similar unimpressive accuracy.

The only thing it's got going for it is the lack of a mag disconnect and lack of a thumb safety. For about $330, I can get a Ruger 9E and easily remove the mag disconnect and ignore the thumb safety. An extra mag is, what, $35? Also, from what I've seen in these reviews, the 9E has a better trigger and shorter reset.

Why they didn't just ship the SR9 without the thumb safety, mag disconnect and SLCIB (Stupid Loaded Chamber Indicator Billboard) is beyond me.

Meh. Try again, Ruger.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    After watching the review, I'm thinking, "meh."

Kudos for releasing a model without a manual thumb safety or magazine disconnect, but it looks like a step backwards from the SR9 in terms of weight and ergonomics.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm thinking . . .

Why would Ruger do this instead of just releasing a version of the SR9 without the pesky safeties?

I can think of two reasons (clearly there are many possibilities):

1. Their market research told them that adopting the appearance and form factor of Glock/XD/M&P/PPQ/etc. would improve sales over the SR series.

2. Someone else had a design that they purchased or licensed (like Springfield and the XD) that they believed would garner a larger market share than the SR.

Hmmm . . . both of those together work even better.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Beechgrove had one today. It felt pretty good in the hand. GEEZUS thing is def FULLSIZE!!

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    1. Their market research told them that adopting the appearance and form factor of Glock/XD/M&P/PPQ/etc. would improve sales over the SR series.

You don't need market research to know that the full size SR9s don't sell.

I've literally watched customers wrinkle up their nose when I show it to them. It doesn't look "right" because it doesn't look like all of the other guns.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    We just got our first shipment of these in today. Three employees got to check them out; two liked them, one did not. I expect that will be the case with the buying public, as well (some will like it, some won't). I was the dissenting opinion; I found the gun to be overly large and bulky, grip ergonomics to be subpar, and the trigger to be average. My exact words were "Ruger does the FNX". I much prefer the SR9 series.

You don't need market research to know that the full size SR9s don't sell.

Depends on the market, I guess. We sell good numbers of them, especially the price-point 9E.

Top Bottom