• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I printed a gear for my mini lathe last night. When it was done I notice a skipped step about 3/4 the way up. It happened on the Y axis. I immediately knew what it was. A stuck idler on the bed rails. Not the first time. The bearing stuck or developed some drag. It is actually the 4th time now. The others failed one at a time in order. I said back then I should replace all these rollers but I didn't.

No big deal other then I have the printer in a location that is less then stellar for working on it. I will have the boy help me move it. I don't know if I have enough idlers on hand to replace them all at the moment? I am going to have to go threw my printer parts box. If not I will order a bunch more.

This thing is 2 years old and has printed a lot of stuff. Better then 50 rolls. And I print fast with the bowden setup. It adds up to a lot of wear and tear on the old beast. It has been a hell of a good printer! It hasn't had a lot of issues. It probably would not hurt to replace all of them on the printer. We will see. I will look everything over really good.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I need to put these on the switches, but upside down. So the boy can;t turn the lights on easily. He never leaves a room without leaving a light on. :( Oh well, he's a good kid other wise. ;)

I also see that we are now the "Official" 3d print thread! :rockwoot: lol

I have sure had a lot of fun with the printers. This thread started out 4 years ago. It took me 2 years to finally buy one. Now I have 3 and parts for a few more build. What a fun hobby!

The official title was your christmas gift larry :D

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have the printer apart. I found a second idler with a flat spot. I did find one spare, need two. Oh well, such is my luck. I ordered 20 and will have them Saturday. I will have plenty of spares. With 3 machines it is probably not a bad thing to have around.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    came across these while I was looking for nozzles and extruder parts: The Olsson Ruby

Sounds awesome. But that price is crazy. I can buy a lot of regular nozzles for that. If someone I know gets one and likes it, then maybe.... :-)

My idlers are suppose to be here tomorrow. If so the then the big printer will be back on line.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Bearing carnage:
    Qs1JGC7.jpg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Bearing carnage:
    Qs1JGC7.jpg

Wow, That is toast. Is that a Titan extruder?

My Idlers came in. I replace the heat bed idlers. I took a really good look at the carriage idlers. They are hard to turn and there is a slight flat spot on one. I am changing those while I am at it. Those are the original.

I will also look at the Z axis wheels while I in there. I'll probably do a new nozzle too while I am at it.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Wow, That is toast. Is that a Titan extruder?

My Idlers came in. I replace the heat bed idlers. I took a really good look at the carriage idlers. They are hard to turn and there is a slight flat spot on one. I am changing those while I am at it. Those are the original.

I will also look at the Z axis wheels while I in there. I'll probably do a new nozzle too while I am at it.

new cover plates came today... tracking said monday, not bad! prints better than in a LOOOONG time lol. the old bearings were apparently causing some...irregularities in the extrusion.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Excellent. My printer is printing at the moment. It sounds quieter now. I have a bunch of stuff to print. I will fine out how well it is when this 11 hour print is done.

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Hey guys, way late to the party....I've been wanting a 3d printer for a while now and the wife said she also wanted one the other day....so I'm doing some research on 3d printers....any advice and/or recommendations?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The Creality's seems to be best the deal at the moment. The Ender and the CR10. Hopefully Robby will chime in. He has both.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    Can't really chime in as I've only owned one printer. I will say that I learned a lot about the printer when I built mine. When choosing a printer I think something you have to consider is how much you want to mess with it. There are some out there that are pretty much ready to go out of the box with the exception of tuning and then there are some you have to build. One option requiring more time and patience in the beginning than the other.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I would stay away form the ender 3 in the creality line only because they really raced to the bottom with that printer. Basically they took a cr-10 mini and said how cheap can we possibly make it?

Cr-10 and ender 2 are decent printers out of the box... I have 4 ender 2's and print with them mostly. the cr-10 is for larger prints but suprised how little i need that volume. (I used to onw two and got rid of one). You'll always want to tweak it in some way. But I'm more of a printer vs a tinkerer.

On the ruby nozzles I've heard mixed results. seems like many like them. other's also have been dissapointed when the ruby falls out

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It's been dead in here. Lol.

I have been working on RPi project boxes. I am pretty happy with when I have created. Several different styles for different projects. I have one printing on the plater at the moment. It is a case to hold the RPi 3b+ I am using for the print cam (top view). I am going to give a go at streaming 2 cameras on one Pi. Should be able to do it, just not sure I can figure it out lol.

My webserver PC was replaced with a RPi3b+. It also has way more storage space. I have it booting from a USB device. It's a USB SATA to Msata adapter with a MSATA 500 gig SSD. It's URL is http://w9amr.com The print cam is streaming at the bottom of the page. It is streaming solo at My Printer

Hope all is well with you guys.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Don't worry 1911ly, I just acquired my printer... we'll liven this place up!

Whatttt????. your last post was "Which 3D printer should I get..." and now you're posting that you've acquired one. You missed a step in the process. What happened to I'm going to order (insert printer brand/model here) ?

What is it?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Whatttt????. your last post was "Which 3D printer should I get..." and now you're posting that you've acquired one. You missed a step in the process. What happened to I'm going to order (insert printer brand/model here) ?

What is it?

This, I mean it took me two years. :): Seriously, go back to the first few pages. lol

Awesome Caleb. We'll be looking forward to your prints, pictures and progress!!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm feeling like a genius.... ok, that might be a bit over kill.

But I feel accomplished. :rockwoot: One of the little things that bugged me about my 3d print camera stream is the time is never right. The Raspberry Pi's don't have a "real time" clock. I think it just resets the time on a boot. reboot. And it wanders off a bit over time. I have seen it it be a hour or so off after 7-8 months.
    I added a real time clock to the Pi. I am a Linux rookie so it took a bit of google foo and few YouTube videos to get it up running. I'm having fun and learning more and more with each of these projects.

Top Bottom