• Status
    Not open for further replies.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    1911ly - good looking Camero. Not knocking it at all but why did you have the rear tires hanging so far outside the quarter panels?

That was really the only way to get some meat under them in the day. It was pretty common.
    Mini-tub work was not as popular as it is now.

I bet you are sad it is gone my friend.

I tried for years back in the day to find a wheel tire combo that would fit under fenders and still give me the better part of a yard's worth of rubber under various cars. Back then the only way to get anything other than a 3 5/16 rear wheel spacing on a 10 or 12 inch wide wheel was a BBS or other modular wheel. Lord knows I didn't have THAT much stupid money laying around. Another feature I needed in a wide tire was a low profile, 30 or 40 series but Pirelli was the only manufacturer to carry that type of tire and again it took stupid money that I didn't have. So yeah the pregnant roller skate look as we called it was fairly common!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That was really the only way to g, et some meat under them in the day. It was pretty common.
    Mini-tub work was not as popular as it is now.

I bet you are sad it is gone my friend.

Yep. That was the way we rolled in the 70's and 80's. My buddy was trying to talk me in to tubbing it but it wasn't in the budget, lol. The rears were M/T's. Street and strip tires. I think they were 60 14's( maybe 50?) The fronts were 15 inch A's skinny tires. The rims were custom Fenton's. No spacers needed. It looked fat in the ass, that's for sure.

I really do miss it. I figured my kids would drive it someday. :( If the tree would have fell any other direction it would have hit the house, the garage, or my wife's Mustang. I would have been fine with it hitting the Mustang though. :):

I drove it rain or shine. Whe the roads were clear I even drove it in the winter. I had it out one day and it snowed about 10 and night, It was scary on ice. I got pulled over on Milburn St on the way home. Cop came to the window and said " your fine, I just wanted to meet the idiot driving a car like this in the snow" We both had a good chuckle. It was a fun car.

Somewhere I have some pics of my 54 Belair and a 72 Chevy low rider truck I had, I will come across them some day,

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Well I finally got around to finishing the water pump job on the BMW tonight getting ready to take care of the valley pan coolant leak (located directly below the intake manifold). After draining the coolant guess what the first step in replacing the valley pan gasket? Remove the water pump!:xmad: Remember the water pump job is complete: fan on, shroud on, all hoses and electrical connectors restored, EVERYTHING except coolant replaced and throttle body installed.

At this point it looks like I'll have to deal with the valley pan leak until the weather warms.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well I finally got around to finishing the water pump job on the BMW tonight getting ready to take care of the valley pan coolant leak (located directly below the intake manifold). After draining the coolant guess what the first step in replacing the valley pan gasket? Remove the water pump!:xmad: Remember the water pump job is complete: fan on, shroud on, all hoses and electrical connectors restored, EVERYTHING except coolant replaced and throttle body installed.

At this point it looks like I'll have to deal with the valley pan leak until the weather warms.

Man that sucks......seriously.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

That freakin sucks. Well there's always Bar's Leaks. <- insert purple if you think I'm being sarcastic.

Seriously that does suck

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

On a positive note......you will know where all the bolts/nuts/clamps and knuckle busters are located now.....:):

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Don't EVER use a coolant stop leak on a BMW. Their stupid heater cores will clog. They are not a flow through type of core. They are flow across with very small tubes that clog all the time and take ~14 hours to swap out. Ask my wife why her feet are cold yet mine are toasty warm. She will not ride in my car in the winter time.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Don't EVER use a coolant stop leak[STRIKE] on a BMW[/STRIKE]. Their stupid heater cores will clog. They are not a flow through type of core. They are flow across with very small tubes that clog all the time and take ~14 hours to swap out. Ask my wife why her feet are cold yet mine are toasty warm. She will not ride in my car in the winter time.

FIFY

Don't worry, TC was joking and I definitely know better.:rockwoot: I'm not even sure if I'd use that crap on something I was selling tomorrow!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    FIFY

Don't worry, TC was joking and I definitely know better.:rockwoot: I'm not even sure if I'd use that crap on something I was selling tomorrow!

I was joking, as I would avoid it at all costs. However, GM has for a very long time used bars leaks pelletels (AC Delco branded) in their cooling systems. I always cringed when a foreman wanted me to use them

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville
    You can take the pipe off the back of the cylinder head instead of removing the water pump. Only need two small gaskets. Its like a transfer pipe where the two stainless pipes connect in the rear. It will be tight but it is another option.

Last edited:

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Slightly off topic, but certainly related...

I'm new to the world of BMW, but reading thru a lot of these pages, it appears there are a few well versed in that arena. My specific question is regards to a private shop in Noblesville. Does anyone have a good reason as to why I should avoid Reggie's? I recently obtained an E46, & before I go to any track days, the rear subframe reinforcement is my priority. Unfortunately, I lack welding skills & equipment to DIY at home. I've had no luck in finding shops around the Ft. Wayne area that are both familiar & confident with this common issue. Therefore, I have no problem driving down to Noblesville for the service. I've talked with one of the Nick's on the phone & I briefly visited the shop last fall, although I caught them on lunch & basically nobody was there. Personally, I'm feeling pretty good about it, but before I drop that stack of cash for this surgery, I'm seeking as much info as possible.
    (As mentioned, I'm looking to have reinforcements welded in, not epoxy patched or foam filled)

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    finally got the radiator and hoses installed last Sunday. Only had the parts for 5 weeks.

26903991_10213198773176944_5047008422463746834_n.jpg

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville
    Slightly off topic, but certainly related...

I'm new to the world of BMW, but reading thru a lot of these pages, it appears there are a few well versed in that arena. My specific question is regards to a private shop in Noblesville. Does anyone have a good reason as to why I should avoid Reggie's? I recently obtained an E46, & before I go to any track days, the rear subframe reinforcement is my priority. Unfortunately, I lack welding skills & equipment to DIY at home. I've had no luck in finding shops around the Ft. Wayne area that are both familiar & confident with this common issue. Therefore, I have no problem driving down to Noblesville for the service. I've talked with one of the Nick's on the phone & I briefly visited the shop last fall, although I caught them on lunch & basically nobody was there. Personally, I'm feeling pretty good about it, but before I drop that stack of cash for this surgery, I'm seeking as much info as possible.
    (As mentioned, I'm looking to have reinforcements welded in, not epoxy patched or foam filled)

I have heard good things about Reggies.
    Also can recommend Vaughn Motorwerks and Ress Motor Works...
    They are three of the best.
    I have been in the repair business for over thirty years and in this area they are the BMW go to guys....Zionsville Autosport does some good stuff ..But I don't think they do repair anymore..Just parts.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Spent some time in the garage tonight. New valve cover gaskets. Checked the spark plugs. Had an issue when I first bought the car that the climate control knobs didn’t have full travel. So I took off the glove box door and took the glove box out (which hilariously is just cardboard). Ended up being a big screw that was not letting the mixing damper move. Also ordered some new valve cover oil caps and some tubing to try and relieve the gulf oil spill under my car after spirited driving.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom