• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Question about DA's, not attorney's, sanders. I'm about to a point where I'm ready to use my DA to prep the roof for paint. I broke out the DA the other day to make sure all was well. It was a little slow to start but it HAS been over twenty years on the shelf. Anyways I dropped a few drops of oil in it and ran it at 3/4 throttle for a little bit to let it loosen up but when I put it on my test panel it slowed almost to a stop. I just opened it up and cleaned it although it looked very good inside and put it back together with no improvement in performance.

Has this thing always been this slow and I just don't remember or should I look at a replacement? My air source is a large industrial twin lung compressor with about a 200 gallon tank cycling thru an air dryer so I know I have the capacity.

Any thoughts?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Can't believe this isn't a scam and it it isn't it's long gone by now.

249407755_651816825987951_2424330640209847521_n.jpg

$3300 340/4 spd

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Question about DA's, not attorney's, sanders. I'm about to a point where I'm ready to use my DA to prep the roof for paint. I broke out the DA the other day to make sure all was well. It was a little slow to start but it HAS been over twenty years on the shelf. Anyways I dropped a few drops of oil in it and ran it at 3/4 throttle for a little bit to let it loosen up but when I put it on my test panel it slowed almost to a stop. I just opened it up and cleaned it although it looked very good inside and put it back together with no improvement in performance.

Has this thing always been this slow and I just don't remember or should I look at a replacement? My air source is a large industrial twin lung compressor with about a 200 gallon tank cycling thru an air dryer so I know I have the capacity.

Any thoughts?
    Is the supply air side restricted anywhere.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Any thoughts?

I've pretty much always used my dad old DA's that are older than me. We had one a few years ago that for whatever reason did exactly as you described. We couldn't get it to work right regardless of air press, speed adjustments etc. Ordered a palm DA from Eastwood and it has worked very well for what we've needed it for.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    On those cars (and others) laying out the main rails with box tubing is pretty common as it is easier in some ways than doin it in round. I always did box on my back half cars. For me it was simpler to do with the equipment I had.
    I am curious what numbers that runs as well. It does not have big tires out back. Not a deal breaker by any means as it it a well turned out piece. The headers would make it a tough daily…:lmfao:
    But I can still see it.

I'm just not that familiar with that platform. When I hear "full tube chassis", my mind goes to like a top sportsman or pro stock style chassis. I always think of back half cars being more prone to using box tubing. Just my own narrow mindedness.
    We ran our headers under the car for several years. Then in 2013 we had the whole chassis redone and went to side exit headers. At first it seemed incredibly loud on first start up. Now I'm used to it, but I always try to be mindful of who is standing where when I start it up. Went to a car show at my uncles church about 2yrs ago. Pulling into the parking lot I kept trying to wave parents with kids in strollers to move back so I wouldn't blow hot exhaust right in a little kids face. I don't want to be that guy. So probably wouldn't go side exit on a daily...well maybe

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am like you when thinking “Full Tube” pro built chassis.
    Us garage racers are somewhat limited in these areas.
    A buddy used to have a mobile tube bending outfit. He would come to you and build your cage. It was a neat set up.
    Bender and welders mobile.
    Divorce ended that for him.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN

Any thoughts?
    The newer style palm sanders are much easier to use IMO. They offer much more control and a better result. The only reason to use the old style is if you are locking the pad and using it as a grinder.

I use a 10+ year old 3M palm that works perfect. Don’t use it often as I used to, but do have to break it out on occasion.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The newer style palm sanders are much easier to use IMO. They offer much more control and a better result. The only reason to use the old style is if you are locking the pad and using it as a grinder.

I use a 10+ year old 3M palm that works perfect. Don’t use it often as I used to, but do have to break it out on occasion.
    I'd wondered about the palm styles, thanks for the insight.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Is the supply air side restricted anywhere.
    bingo-tarantino.gif

In further troubleshooting I connected an airline directly to the DA from the compressor instead of thru the ceiling mounted hose reel that I normally use and the rpm's went up and it quit stalling almost immediately upon touching the work. I am going to get a palm DA as rusty suggested upstream though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not hot rod related but im sold on ultrasonic cleaners. Didnt take before pics but here was a nasty small engine carb off a free mower that wouldnt run. I bet it runs now. View attachment 166879 View attachment 166880 View attachment 166881
    I let my brand new lawn more and 2 year old pressure sprayer sit way to long and they will not start. Spritze of starting fluid and they run till its gone so yes its the carbs. This fracking Bravo Sierra gas we get ruins everything.
    I am selling all the yard equipment as I am no longer able to use any of it and my SIL does all the yard work with his equipment. I bought a new carb for the pressure washer sourced from Briggs. Just have to install it. I hope we can clean out the mower card.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I let my brand new lawn more and 2 year old pressure sprayer sit way to long and they will not start. Spritze of starting fluid and they run till its gone so yes its the carbs. This fracking Bravo Sierra gas we get ruins everything.
    I am selling all the yard equipment as I am no longer able to use any of it and my SIL does all the yard work with his equipment. I bought a new carb for the pressure washer sourced from Briggs. Just have to install it. I hope we can clean out the mower card.
    Ill get mine thrown on tonight, if it works good your welcome to send yours up my way and i can drop it in the ultrasonic. Its alot cheaper than a new carb for sure. I just run my stuff out of fuel before i put it up and its worked ok for me, except my old sportster carb. That thing was finicky.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ill get mine thrown on tonight, if it works good your welcome to send yours up my way and i can drop it in the ultrasonic. Its alot cheaper than a new carb for sure. I just run my stuff out of fuel before i put it up and its worked ok for me, except my old sportster carb. That thing was finicky.
    Bingo. The Briggs factory carb for the pressure washer was $55.

Top Bottom