• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I kind of saw both sides. The rear end, springs and shocks in my '66 came out of a Chevy station wagon ambulance a fire department wrecked. The 396 was out of a rust bucket I bought from a neighbor. The THD 400/475 transmission came out of a 14' aluminum body step. Heavy duty radiator was stock out of a Buick. Bucket seats were out of a Tempest. Exhaust was whatever pieces you could clamp to an adapter flange bolted to a set of Hookers. Two matching Thrush glass packs was something to be proud of. Things like cams were purchased from Ed Iskenderian, but a lot was found by combing the junkyard. Sandblasting and spray paint converted the parts to "official" hot rod parts. Not a lot of that with hot rodding modern cars.

Even relatively low priced parts were really expensive when you had a wife, kids and a mortgage and jimmy carter was in office.

The neighbor has been tuning his Mustang GT with a laptop. He has a hot Subaru also.
    (warning, old guy story coming)
    I had a tackle box with dozens of pairs of main jets for tuning. Take your buddy in the car with a stopwatch. Make a test hit, guess which way to adjust. Take the carb apart, twist in a different set of jets, test again. No data records to print out. We could not have imagined real time onboard air/fuel mixture data, or a computer that could overlay the A/F ratio chart over an rpm chart. Back then a laptop in the garage was a girlfriend that really liked you.
    Wrecks inc.
    your 1 stop shopping for all things automotive. Some pretty mangled but if they made it it was in that yard somewhere.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok I just tried to watch more of the JJ clown show.
    If you watch it…..
    -Look at the cross hatch they put in the cylinders.
    -Look at the overall lack of cleanliness just on the pistons.
    -Are they running 550 on stock rods and pistons. That’s a total joke. I saw no camshaft research of any kind. That manifold will not Carry that HP.
    -Can you tell this is hurting my brain.
    -oh and lest we forget the converter that appears to be stock.
    -no sign of valve work. None. Not even hand lapping the old pieces.
    Now it’s like a train wreck but I can’t look away.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I wondered if it would be that bad watching the preview in the last episode. I'll probably just skip it and wait for Shawn's build.
    If you watch it…..
    -Are they running 550 on stock rods and pistons. That’s a total joke. I saw no camshaft research of any kind. That manifold will not Carry that HP.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you watch it…..
    I only saw a few bits & pieces of it before I had to leave for work.
    Yeah what I've seen of the engine rebuild was beyond shoddy

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I ask this occasionally when I see what people do with vehicles, lol.
    I kind of like when people color outside the lines. It keeps life interesting.

I have a friend that put the whole drive train of a FWD Pontiac under one of the Renault chassis Winnebago mini motor homes. He fit it all under the stock bodywork. The original 100 hp engine was dangerously slow. Adding the 200 hp drive train that also included better brakes completely changed the driving experience and he claimed the fuel mileage did not change..

I would not have done that swap, but it was fun seeing someone else do it.

To paraphrase the Danish philosopher Soren Kierkegaard, Genius to Madman is a very thin line.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When I used an auto parts store on US 30 by Dyer, Indiana, there was a guy I often saw with a bright yellow pickup that had a Toronado FWD chassis under it. I don't remember the body brand, but it was old enough to have bubble fenders, maybe Dodge? It was a very clean adaptation, and leaving the traffic light next to him, I can say acceleration was really good. That was in the 80's I wonder if that truck is still around?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok just now saw where they put the engine back together and took it off the stand. That was painful to watch.
    Look at the details when they get the grenade in the hole. When they are fighting to remove the hoist hook from the adaptor lift plate on the manifold. There is no 1 nut holding the plate to the manifold. I had to rewind and take a second look.
    Lets review that nasty dirty "Cheater" plate. Dirty as hell and it was bent for crap sake.
    So little time spent on the build and way toooo much time watching him flop his gums. I could go on and on and on.
    Even when we had a dirt floor garage way the hell back in the day, we were cleaner that those stove bolts.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Look at the details when they get the grenade in the hole. When they are fighting to remove the hoist hook from the adaptor lift plate on the manifold. There is no 1 nut holding the plate to the manifold. I had to rewind and take a second look.
    Lets review that nasty dirty "Cheater" plate. Dirty as hell and it was bent for crap sake.
    So little time spent on the build and way toooo much time watching him flop his gums. I could go on and on and on.
    Even when we had a dirt floor garage way the hell back in the day, we were cleaner that those stove bolts.
    I didn't notice the holding plate to manifold. But I will take your word for it. It was painful enough the first time to rewind it and try to see it again.
    Yeah that nitrous plate has definitely seen better days. We've got a lot of old parts sitting around on shelves in our garage but dang we know how to box stuff up or put some stuff in a bag to store it away.
    For a shop complete with a lift they sure made that whole deal look painful. Is it just me or did they pick the darkest spot to tear that engine apart? I think this build was done in his home garage vs his shop where all the other cars are kept. Nothing wrong with that just pointing out other shows have shown a nicer shop than that. I think he plays up the whole "we just poor street racers" gig a little more than he needs to. Oh and make no mistake some of those other cars he runs may not be as pro mod as what some others run, but they aren't the "street cars" he wants people to believe. Even Ol' heavy has a Procharger on it and I would bet even traction control.
    He lost me when he claimed track racers don't know how to tune a suspension and claimed that's his only chance at beating everyone else because he knows how. What does he think we all do to make big HP cars get down a track?
    People forget that car he calls hummingbird he bought turn key from Axe man and had a Procharger on methanol and full tube chassis before the wreck with his wife.
    The new series of the OG 405 just wrapped up taping and they all built new cars for that show as well. More in line with where it all began
    Don't get me wrong I really like the NPK show but those cars on a street is just kinda silly to me

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didn't notice the holding plate to manifold. But I will take your word for it. It was painful enough the first time to rewind it and try to see it again.
    Yeah that nitrous plate has definitely seen better days. We've got a lot of old parts sitting around on shelves in our garage but dang we know how to box stuff up or put some stuff in a bag to store it away.
    For a shop complete with a lift they sure made that whole deal look painful. Is it just me or did they pick the darkest spot to tear that engine apart? I think this build was done in his home garage vs his shop where all the other cars are kept. Nothing wrong with that just pointing out other shows have shown a nicer shop than that. I think he plays up the whole "we just poor street racers" gig a little more than he needs to. Oh and make no mistake some of those other cars he runs may not be as pro mod as what some others run, but they aren't the "street cars" he wants people to believe. Even Ol' heavy has a Procharger on it and I would bet even traction control.
    He lost me when he claimed track racers don't know how to tune a suspension and claimed that's his only chance at beating everyone else because he knows how. What does he think we all do to make big HP cars get down a track?
    People forget that car he calls hummingbird he bought turn key from Axe man and had a Procharger on methanol and full tube chassis before the wreck with his wife.
    The new series of the OG 405 just wrapped up taping and they all built new cars for that show as well. More in line with where it all began
    Don't get me wrong I really like the NPK show but those cars on a street is just kinda silly to me
    Much truth here. If JJ would have dropped those names one more time (Kye, Ryan, murder Nova Etc) my head would have exploded.
    Most of his cars were bought turn key.
    One of the 1st red mid 60’s had a 9.90 bracket time plate in the window. He paid cash for that one.
    He does play the Po-Boy dirty south card way to much. JJ just shut your pie hole and go racing. Please
    More truth is watching a high 3 low 4 second car on those roads is scary.
    I really like the NPK side of it.

Top Bottom