• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    And now for the biggest regret I have in my young life.... I no longer have this beast, but it was a huge learning experience. Have a lot of people to thank for this one, some I know and love and others I've never met... It is because of this truck that I am where I am now and doing what I love. Only part I regret is selling it, there were reasons, but I wish I would have found ways around them...

'72 Cheyenne. Bought this after selling the blue s10. It was supposed to be a "daily driver" to high school. Well we found out after we drove it home from Wabash that is wasn't running on all cylinders and needed a rebuild... Next time it got driven was 18 months later after a full rebuild.

Senior pic. It was finished in time and I got to drive it a couple times before graduation.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    :faint::faint::faint:

Absolutely stunning
    Thanks. It was a gorgeous truck that drove like a dream. I put 2800 miles on it. I've tried tracking it down, but have lost it... It went to Grand Rapids, MI after me and that guy was a dealer. He kept it for awhile then I saw it pop up for sale, it sold and since then no new pictures have surfaced on the Internet... I'd like to see it again someday and if I have an opportunity to buy it back, I will... Lots of blood sweat and tears in that one... :(

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Rusty, I regret selling all of my hot rods but.......I had to so I could start the process again.
    Soooooooooooooo many cool cars/bikes. Soooooooooo many memory's.
    Sooooooooooooooo many hours spent and finances funneled into them.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Rusty, I regret selling all of my hot rods but.......I had to so I could start the process again.
    Soooooooooooooo many cool cars/bikes. Soooooooooo many memory's.
    Sooooooooooooooo many hours spent and finances funneled into them.
    Yup. It's a never ending deal.... All part of the game. I will say that one of the major things that bugged me about that truck was how nice it ended up being. I'm not afraid to drive anything, but I absolutely hate working on my own stuff and after rebuilding that whole truck then having to keep it clean and wipe the bugs off it every time I drove it.. That's why I enjoy driving rusty junk around more. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am feeling/hearing the siren call of the shop.
    I found a pristine 1979 Malibu wagon. I may be hatching a plan.
    I used to have one that was the absolute ultimate sleeper.
    Primer gray. The most horrible baby blue interior. It had Rally wheels and a 2" cowl hood to clear the air filter.
    The only real give away's were the 3" rally front runners/the 4 speed lever/a few well placed and non-obvious gauges and the overall stance of the car.
    It was an absolute :woot: to drive. I miss it a lot.

I have a lot of engine parts left from previous projects and I can put a 383 short block together.
    I have a set of Vortec heads that will work pretty well on a mild street engine.
    Turbo 350 Trans from my last Bracket car. It has a trans break and all the hard parts. I might even still have the converter.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    You can find gears on Summit or Jegs for around $150 all day. I've got professional mechanic friends with the tools and knowledge.
    If you consider those $150 gears and friends trustworthy, go for it. Perhaps consider how inconvenient a broken rear end is.

Even cheaper Yukons at Jegs are $250. The house brand gears don't even indicate what material they are made from. If it isn't 8620 or 18NiCr, run away.

Then again, I'm more sensitive to this since I've seen up close and in person just how terribly expensive cheap gears or installation can be, and I will never take chances in this area.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I have a '91 T-Bird SC. No decent pics at the moment but anyone who knows early '90's Fords can figure what color it is.

I remember them all being some silver-ish color-- Titanium something or other..;)

All kidding aside, titanium dioxide is the pigment that adds that color effect.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Spending just a little more money on better parts goes a long way. When you buy the good stuff, you'll be pissed the day you do but will be happy everyday there after. When you buy the cheap stuff you'll be happy the day you buy it and pissed every day after that. Then when it breaks you'll spend double what you would have in the first place.

We just did a gear set in a 65 mustang. Guy didn't want to spend a whole lot of money (imagine that). Picked out a Yukon set for him and he's extremely happy. His old Richmond set was too noisy for him.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Used to be Firebird nut. Owned several 2nd Gen birds. My last one was my favorite... 78 firebird Formula W72.
    Not the fastest I've had but that thing was sweet.
    I love me some Pontiac 6.6 torque.... Ahhhh huh...

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Did this 75 for a dear friend who's no longer with us. It's a long story, but he got to drive it a couple times before he passed.

Then I've done a little bit of work to this one. Wish I had better pictures of this one... Original owner 73 Super Duty. :faint: :drool::drool:

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County

:( :(

I'll try to dig some up but mine were before the high tech cell phone days and sadly most are only embedded upstairs........

On a better note, 73 Super Duty?..... Drool... I've only been around one of those, actually it was a red 74 or 75.

I've had a 66 Mustang, 67 Lemans, 3 78 6.6 T/As, a 75 T/A, and an 89 Formula 350.

The 67 Lemans was a 326 power glide boat lol.

My toys sadly went bye bye when I got married and raised a few kids...

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So you like to go fast Huh.....:)

I have posted these before but never miss a chance to share in the madness

Sitting in the pits next to my 70.

Always loved this shot.