• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I usually suggest people try mechanical repairs and learn all they can, but there are some people who should not be allowed to handle any tools.[/QUOTE]

That is an absolute FACT. And it amazes me how many people with some mechanical abilities don't realize when they are getting in over their head. For example I work with a guy that had to drill out a broken exhaust manifold bolt. These bolts are only 8mm, and after starting to drill realized his bit wasn't centered and just kept drilling. So eventually he got the bolt out but had to drill and tap the head to accept a 3/8 bolt and fill the surface of the head with JB weld. Sometimes it pays to just stop and get some help

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What's he doing? Being pushy, questioning your work??

He is one of those people that manipulates every nickel. Wants to get the parts as he enjoys shopping.
    In this he shortchanges himself a lot. He has set me back 3 or 4 times now and I have hours I can not really charge him for in looking for things and sending him off in search of.
    He wanted Edelbrock chrome valve covers. I told him to get the 3" tall ones and the thick gaskets so everything would clear the 1.6 rockers and poly locks.
    He orders the tins. Takes them to the pin strip guy to get the Edelbrock stamping hi-lited. It looks good. Thing is he bought the 2.4" tins and they will not clear.
    The painter is a friend of mine and the owner wants me to make him do the new covers for free or cut him a deal. This is not cool. It takes the same time and materials to re-do the original mistake which has NADA to do with my buddy the painter.
    I am afraid I might have let the boy have it. This is the last time I am wasting time. Sheesh WTF is wrong with people.
    I am considering loading the engine and dropping it on his porch.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What a PINTA, I would give the guy a parts list ane tell him when he gets all the parts I will finish the job. And I would let him know if he wants the new valve covers painted then he needs to deal with the painter, it was his mistake. You told him what to get it's his mistake. That would suck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What a PINTA, I would give the guy a parts list ane tell him when he gets all the parts I will finish the job. And I would let him know if he wants the new valve covers painted then he needs to deal with the painter, it was his mistake. You told him what to get it's his mistake. That would suck.

This attitude seems to be more the norm with people his age.
    What sucks is he grew up with my son. Known him 20 plus years. He begged me to do this engine for him.
    People. What do you do.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is the frames/suspension for the 70 Cutlass we are doing. Not my wheel choice but not my world/car either.
    I have to run all the brake lines/fuel lines/power for the fuel pumps.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This is the frames/suspension for the 70 Cutlass we are doing. Not my wheel choice but not my world/car either.
    I have to run all the brake lines/fuel lines/power for the fuel pumps.

70 Cutlass? I'm cringing just looking at the wheels and imagining the body on the car. Long live Cragar 5 spokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom